overclock the gamecube

WuGgaRoOWuGgaRoO Not in the shower Icrontian
edited June 2003 in Gaming
yeah...ive noticed that the gamecube locks up a bit too much for my taste....does anyone know a way to overclock this bad boy (im willing to go as far as crappy water cooling to make my gaming experience faster)

Comments

• SlickSlick Upstate New York
    edited June 2003
    I am not a gamecube gamer but if it is set up like the xbox it wouldn't work. If I understand correctly all the games are tweaked to run on the specific hardware, not like on a computer where you can run the games on all different hardware. Anyway, if you OC/ed and xbox the games would run faster than usual. I mean this as in you have a timer in game that counts down in 1 second intervals. When you OC the processor everything is sped up so in one real life second the game could have already counted two seconds.

Correct me if I am wrong (literally). Also I am sorry if I sound like a newb, I am not to solid on this stuff, but this is just what I have picked up over time.
  • MarkTAWMarkTAW Brooklyn, NY
    edited June 2003
    gaming consoles are sort of the reverse of traditional programming - in traditional programming the data has to be processed before it gets to the screen. However in gaming the fact that it gets to the screen is MORE important than it being processed correctly, or something like that. I knew I'm totally screwing this description up.

So speeding up the clock may well speed up your games as well.. Fun for some games, complete misery for others. It may also cause crashes and sync problems if the audio plays at th esame speed but the video moves faster.
  • WuGgaRoOWuGgaRoO Not in the shower Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    this is why i like computers that much more....
    if i were to water cool the gamecube would that prevent the serious lag issues that arise from time to time
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    You expected more from a Mac?
    edited June 2003
    WuGgaRoO said
    this is why i like computers that much more....
    if i were to water cool the gamecube would that prevent the serious lag issues that arise from time to time

I am no expert, but I doubt it.
  • CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    No, watercooling will do absolutely nothing for the Gamecube. It's been stressed tested so much under the conditions that it was shipped that temperature is no issue. It's made ti withstand what it's put through.

What issues are you talking about for lag, etc?
  • NixxerNixxer Nottingham, UK
    edited June 2003
    I've never experianced any lag problems with my gamecube. Zelda is a large game and that ran fine. I suppose that if the environment you have it in is considerably hot then it could overheat, because Nintendo won't expect it to run in 40ºC.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    Mine used to crash with Rogue Leader, but it hasn't crashed in a year since then. Maybe ambient temperature does have something to do with it.
  • WuGgaRoOWuGgaRoO Not in the shower Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    i mean i love the cube...the textures r nice..but when too many polys r on the screen the game lags
    edited June 2003
    Low amount of frames per second. I doubt there is anything you can do for it.