Macbook problems :(

GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
edited July 2007 in Science & Tech
Lets start from the first to last problems ive encountered with my macbook so far.

-First problem a crack appeared above the ir sensor on the right hand side of the macbook :/.
-Second problem the psu started emitting a loud high pitched buzzing sound and shortly after the macbook started emitting one well pluged in as well.
-Third problem the cable from the psu to the macbook melted (About 3cm from the psu) and now I can't charge my macbook.

My macbook is 11 months old and should still be under the 1 year warentey.

When I get it repaired im going to extend my warenty to 3 years .. I just had to get a first gen macbook :/.

After reading on there forum Ive discovered something NEVER BUY A FIRST GEN APPLE PRODUCT.

Im taking it to the apple store to try to get a warentey tomorrow at noon.

Comments

• macdude425macdude425 Mr. Roger's Neighborhood
    edited July 2007
    Darned skippy. My new-old 1st gen Core Solo Mac Mini has a sleep problem that the firmware update didn't help, but rather made worse - it incapacitates the mouse.

So always wait for some other poor schmuck to buy up the first gens before you get your Apple computer.
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited July 2007
    Pictures

The crack
    crackwu5.th.jpg
    cracked

The melted power cable (I was wrong its about 1CM from the psu).
    metled1uq7.th.jpg

metled2al8.th.jpg

my.php?image=melted3vd7.jpg

Melted 1
    Melted 2
    Melted 3

I would record the sound but I can't exactly plug the mac in.

Oh also the sound originally went away when I opened photobooth later it would still make it with photobooth opened but much more quiet ... but without photobooth opened it was at least 4 times louder then when I first noticed it.
  • ThelemechThelemech Victoria Icrontian
    edited July 2007
    Will you go mac for lap again?
    Wondering if you that are computer aware believe that Apple hardware is "better" than out of The Assembly Line Computer even from the better dealers- been thinking of going Mac in hardware - or building my own Pc - that I have only been able to do with legacy hardware so far.
    But was not the PowerPc Processor one of the major attractions of this platform in the past? (I have a 5300PowerPc that definitely outperforms a P2 266MHz running W98-with 3 times the Ram)
    edited July 2007
    Thelemech wrote:
    Will you go mac for lap again?
    Apples will likely replace the power adapter and fix my other problems.
    Thelemech wrote:
    Wondering if you that are computer aware believe that Apple hardware is "better" than out of The Assembly Line Computer even from the better dealers- been thinking of going Mac in hardware - or building my own Pc - that I have only been able to do with legacy hardware so far.
    Apples hardware is ranked number 2 for reliability
    I kinda wish I got a Hp but apple's warenty service is top notch from what ive read.
    Thelemech wrote:
    But was not the PowerPc Processor one of the major attractions of this platform in the past? (I have a 5300PowerPc that definitely outperforms a P2 266MHz running W98-with 3 times the Ram)
    Power PC is far behind intel's current architecture in both efficiency and performance.
    We can thank the speed wars for that AMD really forced intel to get there act together.
    edited July 2007
    Update:
    Apples swaping out my logic board, Giving me a new psu and replacing the case.

If all goes well apple rocks.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited July 2007
    always wait for some other poor schmuck to buy up the first gens before you get your Apple computer
    Any new first generation tech, not just Apple equipment, is always risky from a reliability standpoint.
  • edited July 2007
    Leonardo wrote:
    Any new first generation tech, not just Apple equipment, is always risky from a reliability standpoint.

i agree. i got a powerbook G4 a little more than 2 years ago and it's been the most reliable and stable computer i've ever owned. my best bud got a macbook pro 17 as soon as they came out, and was immediately plagued with wireless network issues. it stabilized after some patching, but still.. what a pain.

Personally I am going to wait a bit to get an intel lapper from apple, but i'm definitely an apple fan now. still prefer linux for my big desktop though...
    edited July 2007
    lightnin wrote:
    i agree. i got a powerbook G4 a little more than 2 years ago and it's been the most reliable and stable computer i've ever owned. my best bud got a macbook pro 17 as soon as they came out, and was immediately plagued with wireless network issues. it stabilized after some patching, but still.. what a pain.

Personally I am going to wait a bit to get an intel lapper from apple, but i'm definitely an apple fan now. still prefer linux for my big desktop though...

I agree with you there but DAM. 10.5's new finder might even be better then gnome. They made so many minor improvements and a few major ones.. It accuracy kinda looks and feels like they ripped off gnome a bit.

Im kinda tempted to migrate to a mac pro for my desktop after trying out the leopard beta.
    edited July 2007
  • leishi85leishi85 Grand Rapids, MI Icrontian
    edited July 2007
    GrayFox wrote:
    Update:

how long did that all take? i have the same crack too.
    edited July 2007
    leishi85 wrote:
    how long did that all take? i have the same crack too.

First the psu started making a buzzing sound (very minimal) (3 or 4 months of owning it)

Then the crack happened (About 8 months this is just a guess)

Then the macbook started buzzing really loud same with the psu. (Before it would go away with photobooth opened, Then it got so bad that barely helped)

After that the cable started burning so I pulled the power and took it to the apple store.
  • leishi85leishi85 Grand Rapids, MI Icrontian
    edited July 2007
    GrayFox wrote:
    First the psu started making a buzzing sound (very minimal) (3 or 4 months of owning it)

Then the crack happened (About 8 months this is just a guess)

Then the macbook started buzzing really loud same with the psu. (Before it would go away with photobooth opened, Then it got so bad that barely helped)

After that the cable started burning so I pulled the power and took it to the apple store.
    i meant to say, how long did the warranty service take, i have had the crack for a while now, i need it get mine serviced.
    edited July 2007
    leishi85 wrote:
    i meant to say, how long did the warranty service take, i have had the crack for a while now, i need it get mine serviced.

They said 5 days ... but I still haven't got a call to pick it up. (its been 5 days, but I work in service and know any time estimate they give you is just a guess.)
    edited July 2007
    GrayFox wrote:
    Update:

Good to hear! Hope all goes well when you pick up you MacLap!
    edited July 2007
    GrayFox wrote:
    I agree with you there but DAM. 10.5's new finder might even be better then gnome. They made so many minor improvements and a few major ones.. It accuracy kinda looks and feels like they ripped off gnome a bit.

Im kinda tempted to migrate to a mac pro for my desktop after trying out the leopard beta.

Will you then become UNIX hippy:cool2:
    edited July 2007
    Just got my mac back

They replaced everything but the ram,hdd and lcd, (But the backlite inverted was replaced).

The new psu also has a thicker cable and the unit its self is smaller.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited July 2007
    That is GREAT service. In my book, almost any new generation of can be subject to above normal hardware failure. It's just the nature of consumer-grade high tech manufacturing. What differentiates the brand/manufacturer, is how well they will back their product. Looks like Apple has treated you very well.

In my opinion, Microsoft's response to the XBox 360 failures has been awesome. Microsoft has fully admitted the hardware problems, is replacing all defective 360s, and has extended the warranty on the first generation units from one to three years. (this post is not to shift focus from Apple ~books, rather just to point out examples of good after-the-sale hardware support)