Computer shuts down, after start up/hardware error

TrumandrummerTrumandrummer Taylor Michigan Icrontian
edited July 2007 in Hardware
I had originally posted this in the Spyware/virus forum... but i was told to come here and that it was a hardware problem....

Every time I turn my computer on, or i restart it, it loads fine. Ill log in and about a minute after i log in a blue screen flashes saying "something something windows error" and my computer shuts off. but the blue error was to fast to read. I have to turn my computer on about 5 times before it will stop and actually load.

It wasn't until that i came up with the idea of taking a pic of it so i can read it... it says its a hardware error and i was recomended to come here and post it.

The picture was tooken with a phone so sorry u cant read it all.
0707071629.jpg

This is a laptop if that matters, and i have not installed any new hardware lately.

I was told to do a ramtest or ramcheck.... i dont know how, and the computer is not even a year old, i got it for Christmas...

Can anyone help me figure out what is going on here? thanks a lot

Comments

• GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited July 2007
    Run memtest 86
    If it fails your rams bad

If it passes
    Boot intosafe mode, disable page file (right click on my compter>propertys>advanced>preformance>advanced>change (under virtual memory) and set to no pageing file.

Now boot off a windows cd and enter the recovery console.

Enter the command chkdsk /r

After that finished boot in safe mode again and reenable page file.

Reboot and try it again if it still bsod's run a hard-drive diagnostic (Seatools if you have a maxtor or seagate)

If your drive passes then the only other idea I have is to reinstall windows and see if that fixes the problem, Other people here might have more idea's.
  • TrumandrummerTrumandrummer Taylor Michigan Icrontian
    edited July 2007
    ok, I will run the memtest but I probably wont be able to do the rest. i dont have the windows cd............ My laptop didnt come with it... and i deleted the recovery partition off of it too.

is it possibly to use a different windows disc?
    edited July 2007
    ok, I will run the memtest but I probably wont be able to do the rest. i dont have the windows cd............ My laptop didnt come with it... and i deleted the recovery partition off of it too.

is it possibly to use a different windows disc?

-_-

Yah another windows cd will work as long as its the same version and type.

Example if you have a sticker that came on your case you have a oem copy if its for home you need a xp home OEM cd.

I suggest contacting Microsoft they might send you one if you call them up and provide them with proof of purchase .
  • Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
    edited July 2007
    It'd be easier and cheaper to switch to linux.
    edited July 2007
    It'd be easier and cheaper to switch to linux.

Obviously, but some people require windows or are under the delusion that they do. (If hes a gamer windows is pretty much needed gaming on linux is worse then gaming on a mac).
  • TrumandrummerTrumandrummer Taylor Michigan Icrontian
    edited July 2007
    well thats a good idea I think ill call or something and try to get a copy, i gotta get the receipts and stuff from my parents........ but im gonna do a memtest anyways....