I need home network advice

edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
edited July 2007 in Science & Tech
I now have high speed access. (woot!)
It is provided through Time Warner Cable.
The cable modem is a Terayon TJ715x.

Now, how do I set up a network? I don't really need machines talking to each other, but I do need to get multiple machines (some dedicated folders) all accessing the internet.
A router? any suggestions about brands? Cheep is good for me.

Comments

• CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian
    edited July 2007
    Linksys, Netgear, D-Link.

My preference is with Linksys or Netgear. You'll pretty much have to buy a wireless router, but you can disable that if you're not going to use it.

Don't go for any of the "Uber Speed Boost Technology" crap. It's proprietary and will only work with the same brand hardware that supports the same technology on the other end. Just get a standard 802.11g router, and you'll be good to go. I'd say you'll spend about $60-$80. Don't let the sales guy talk you into anything else either.

If you are going to use the wireless, feel free to shoot for the proprietary stuff, but since you're not worried about connecting machines, you really won't use it at all. The wireless will be faster than your net connection anyway.
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited July 2007
    I'll second that post and add. You can still get none-wireless routers however most of the time they are more expensive then the wireless ones.
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited July 2007
    I thought about wireless, but none of my boxes have wireless. Just the two notebooks.
    I'll prob go wired. I just wanted to make sure that a router was what I needed. There are so many different network components it can get a bit fuzzy.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited July 2007
  • CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian
    edited July 2007
    Awesome!
  • budhisetiawanbudhisetiawan Mars Hill, NC Member
    edited July 2007
    I am not an expert by no means...but whether needed now or not...why would one get a wired for like you suggested for when one can get a good wireless for less....and as we all know the wireless have wired ports also anywhere from 4-8...It just seems like a better bang for you buck and reading yourself for the wireless to come....

He states he has some laptops so why not have the access whether on or not?

Just my .02
  • BLuKnightBLuKnight Lehi, UT Icrontian
    edited July 2007
    I've had a D-Link DI-524 for two years. It's performed flawlessly. (If only I could say the same of Comcast.) There's nothing like having the freedom to walk about your home with no wires. :)
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited July 2007
    I bought the D-Link that Prime pointed out. I already own a D-Link wireless, but alas it does not have wired ports. I need wire because I don't want to install wireless cards in the four or five machines that I have around.

I am on Earthlink-lite service. It may not be full speed, but so far the family is very happy.
  • stoopidstoopid Albany, NY New
    edited July 2007
    Another dlink fan here. They're cheap but for 3 years my wireless G has been doing the job just fine.
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited July 2007
    I take it you d-link fans haven't heard of bit torrent (Or you keep your max connections very low. under 64). Everything but there "Gaming Routers" and "Xtreme" series blow goat.

Edit: If your looking for a solid router get a linksys WRT54GL, anything from buffalo or something from netgear.

If you get a Linksys WRT54GL or a buffalo you will want to flash it with DD-WRT it will allow 4096 simultaneous connections rather then the stock 256 it also uses a newer version of the linux kernel that has a better networking stack.

And Most netgears are just solid routers out of the box... but if you are a heavy bit torrent user you will want something powered by linux.
  • stoopidstoopid Albany, NY New
    edited July 2007
    GrayFox wrote:
    I take it you d-link fans haven't heard of bit torrent (Or you keep your max connections very low. under 64). Everything but there "Gaming Routers" and "Xtreme" series blow goat.

Edit: If your looking for a solid router get a linksys WRT54GL, anything from buffalo or something from netgear.

If you get a Linksys WRT54GL or a buffalo you will want to flash it with DD-WRT it will allow 4096 simultaneous connections rather then the stock 256 it also uses a newer version of the linux kernel that has a better networking stack.

And Most netgears are just solid routers out of the box... but if you are a heavy bit torrent user you will want something powered by linux.

I'll admit to not having many active sessions. I do file share though, and have had quite a bit of simultaneous bittorrent and ftp traffic. I'll also admit I have never heard of the 256 connection limit. Off to google to do a little homework.

I did know about the linksys firmware hack, but never understood what the benefit would be (my guess was because people could do it was the only reason they did/bragging rights).