Raid array is acting up

MJOMJO Denmark New
edited August 2007 in Hardware
Hi

I have a raid array that consists of two Seagate Barracude 320 ES.
I am using a Raid-0 stripe.

Lately it has been acting up and reporting some errors.
Here is one from the event log.
(I have translated it from Danish, since that is the language used in my OS)
Type:Error
Event-id: 1006
Description: Access error: Critical error on disc ST3320620NS (Port: Sata 2.1)

I have recently installed everything again and these errors occured on the old install as well. Furthermore I deleted and rebuilt the whole array.
Wanted to make sure that there was no "leftovers" from a previous install.

But these errors, does they indicate hardware failure?
Or is it something else, the machine is not OC'ed at this point in time, I wanted to make sure that wouldn't be an issue regarding these errors.

Now I will run some tests using Seatools.
Maybe that will shed some light on this?

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2007
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited July 2007
    Sounds like one of the two Seagate drives is experiencing some issues. It could very well be a hardware issue. The link Thrax provided should help. Keep in mind that when you test the entire logical drive, it will not indicate which physical drive is the culprit. If it does indicate a problem, you'll then have to split the two drives out of the array so that they can be seen separately in the tool.

I had a similar issue with my Raid-0 array about a year ago.
    edited July 2007
    DFT generally disregards arrays and lets you test individual drives.
  • MJOMJO Denmark New
    edited July 2007
    Here is a late update on my "problem"

I have now performed a "Long test" on both drives using Seatools.
    Both drives passed the test.
    But I am still not sure that means that everything is allright.
    Should I have another go using DFT, would that make a difference?

And there is another possibility, maybe it isn't the drive but something else that isn't right?:confused:
    Maybe my former OC was a bit too much?
    (Now it is a tad more, conservative ;) )
    edited July 2007
    If seatools passed on both drives, your drives are good. I'd look elsewhere.
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited July 2007
    I'd suggest stop using Raid 0 it's not worth it.
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited July 2007
    MJO wrote:
    Here is a late update on my "problem"

I have now performed a "Long test" on both drives using Seatools.
    Both drives passed the test.
    But I am still not sure that means that everything is allright.
    Should I have another go using DFT, would that make a difference?

And there is another possibility, maybe it isn't the drive but something else that isn't right?:confused:
    Maybe my former OC was a bit too much?
    (Now it is a tad more, conservative ;) )

That could definitely be the cause of the problem. Look carefully at your HTT frequency as that could definitely impact SATA controller stability.
  • MJOMJO Denmark New
    edited August 2007
    lemonlime wrote:
    That could definitely be the cause of the problem. Look carefully at your HTT frequency as that could definitely impact SATA controller stability.

I am guessing that the former OC was the culprit.
    I have just had Memtest86+ running for eight hours straight without any errors.
    That suggests that it wasn't the harddrive nor the memory that "killed my windows" :tongue:

Hmm then I need to read up on OC'ing a Athlon64 ;)
    I haven't really understood what role the HTT plays, it was a lot easier cranking up the old Athlon XP. Bump the fsb and adjust the multiplier and everything was rolling.
    Btw what is the standard value for the HTT, I believe that mine is set for auto. (that is probably not good :rolleyes2)
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited August 2007
    I am guessing that the former OC was the culprit.
    Oh, wow, that brings back some memories. Come to think of it, that's one of reasons (one of several) that I quite messing with RAID 0 a few years back. Otherwise stable overclocks could contribute to RAID 0 instability. I decided OC was much more fun than RAID. :)

I echo Kryyst's comment above.
  • MJOMJO Denmark New
    edited August 2007
    Leonardo wrote:
    Oh, wow, that brings back some memories. Come to think of it, that's one of reasons (one of several) that I quite messing with RAID 0 a few years back. Otherwise stable overclocks could contribute to RAID 0 instability. I decided OC was much more fun than RAID. :)

I echo Kryyst's comment above.

I'll do some more testing, but I think I have found the cause.
    That is the only difference (apart from some of the installed) software compared to earlier when I was having problems.

It could be a bad cable though, I was messing around installing a new backup drive. That may have fixed a bad connection?

I also do some searching to see whether anybody else have had similar problems with a setup similar to mine.