WTFBBQ, YMCA?!!

CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄ƷDer Millionendorf- Icrontian
edited September 2007 in Fitness
So, all the talk in the 'finally joined a gym thread' got me thinking that I need to exercise more. I have a stationary bike that I use regularly, but it's not helping me lose my gut. I can't do anything that causes much impact in my knees because of an old injury, so my workout options are a little limited, I used to swim a lot when I was a kid, and I got to thinking that would be a good type of exercise to get back into, but that's not what this thread is about, that's just the set-up.

So, I looked up some YMCAs that were near my work, so that I could use my break between classes for something worthwhile. I stopped in the nearest one to ask about membership, and the girl told me that a one-person membership to just the pool is $50/month...

Thats Fifty Dollars per Month, if you didn't catch it the first time.

That's insane.

When I was a kid, my Dad got us a family membership at the Y for next to nothing, now it costs more than a Gold's Gym membership?!

What happened to the YMCA? When did they stop being a charity-based organization, devoted to helping out young men in need? Did I miss some major national story about the transformation of the YMCA from a non-profit, neighborhood gym and gathering place into a money-hungry conglomerate? I'm seriously confused here, and the teenager behind the desk did not understand my confusion.

WTFBBQ, YMCA?!

Anyone know the story?

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2007
    That stationary would do you well; just do HIIT and eat right, and it'll come off. :) Promise.
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited August 2007
    I specifically said that's not what this thread is about. :p I might post about that later in the weight loss thread... :)
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited August 2007
    Thatis absolutly nuts man... yeah isn't the YMCA about like getting our youth something to go do instead of becoming your average thugs due to boredom? In a nutshell.

I never paid for my membership to the Y in my hometown, if you knew people you could just walk in and do your thing. Couldn't afford it otherwise.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2007
    CB Droege wrote:
    I specifically said that's not what this thread is about. :p I might post about that later in the weight loss thread... :)

I was just skimming through the YMCA's tyranny. My bad. ;D
  • ThelemechThelemech Victoria Icrontian
    edited August 2007
    I worked for the YWCA in Banff and I can tell you from a managerial perspective that charity left that organization along time ago; when offered a position to make money or offer true charity - you guess the one that wins. Do not get me wrong they help the needy .... but money talks.
  • NomadNomad A Small Piece of Hell Icrontian
    edited August 2007
    Our YMCA is like $25.
  • ThelemechThelemech Victoria Icrontian
    edited August 2007
    Nomad wrote:
    Our YMCA is like $25.

I'm glad to hear my bitter experience with them is not universal! Maybe it had something to do with the fact that Banff was such a tourist trap.
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited August 2007
    It's a little more expensive than I would like here, too. I think they have reduced rates for low income families, though.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited August 2007
    I specifically said that's not what this thread is about. :p
    Your're darn right! This is what it's about!
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited August 2007
    I think you meant this picture Leo...
    attachment.php?attachmentid=4060&d=1069204657
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited August 2007
    YESSS! It's all my darlings posing together.
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2007
    Its like $200 bucks here for a single year membership. Not exactly cheap.
  • LawnMMLawnMM Colorado
    edited August 2007
    My 24hr Fitness dues are 42.99 a month and thats a go-anywhere pass. I can work out at any 24hr club in the country and many of them have pools. That YMCA is crazy. 24hr is where its at, especially for those of us that work nights =)
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited August 2007
    Wow, fifty bucks a month is insane. My gym charges less for a two-person membership and has a lap pool to boot.

I remember having a YMCA membership as a kid and it cost something like $100 per year...
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited August 2007
    I think insuring a pool would be quite expensive these days. The Y probably carries a giant policy and in turn is passing the cost on to its users.
  • ClutchClutch North Carolina New
    edited August 2007
    Wow, that is a ripoff man. I didn't even know you had to pay to go to the Y. My Gold's Gym membership is $399 a year. I don't understand why a YMCA membership would be any higher than a Golds. And that is $50 a month just for the pool? Damn that is crazy.
  • edited August 2007
    In my town the Y is very powerful. All top boys in city hall are on the Y's board.
    In 1980 an elderly man died and left $500,000 in his will to the city to build a public swimming pool in our city park. The only catch was that if the pool wasnt built within 20 years the money goes to the local YMCA. So for twenty years I read in the paper some of the most ridiculous arguments and excuses why we cant start building the pool this year.
    Well in 2001 guess who got a new building? Our local Y is strictly very wealthy upscale members, and they dont let the middle man in those doors. It a country club!
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited August 2007
    That's pretty sad.
    edited August 2007
    Isn't there some kind of national management level for the YMCA? Are they all completely independant? I mean, even Subway stores have to adhere to some franchise-wide rules..
    edited August 2007
    http://www.ymca.net/about_the_ymca/ymca_of_the_usa_national_office.html

From the Y's webpage:

"The YMCA of the USA is the national resource office for the nation's YMCAs. Located in Chicago, with satellite offices across the country, the YMCA of the USA exists to serve YMCAs. It is staffed by about 350 employees.

Because all communities have different needs, all YMCAs are different; they are autonomous and separate from the YMCA of the USA. They are required by the national constitution to pay annual dues, to refrain from discrimination and to support the YMCA mission. All other decisions are local choices, including programs offered, staffing and style of operation."
    edited August 2007
    At least they have some rules... :P

I think the organisation needs an overhaul.
    edited August 2007
    Does your institute of higher education have aquatics facilities, or perhaps a reciprocal agreement with the Y or another organization where you could garner access at a reduced price?
    edited August 2007
    No, but my wife is taking classes at NKU, which is only a little further down the street than the Y. I'm going to see if they allow discounted access to their pool for 'Alum who are married to current students, and who will be coming back for more classes themselves in the next couple years'.

Their standard rate for 'members of the community' is as bad as the Y.
    edited September 2007
    I finally signed up for gym near my house (the same one GH goes to, actually) which has a pool, so now I can get my swim on... :)
  • jaredjared College Station, TX Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    Sweet. Swimming us underrated.