...Going Up...

sgstairsgstair Reverse EngineerRedmond, WA Icrontian
edited August 2007 in Folding@Home
Hi all :)

I've just recently upgraded my main computer - going from an Athlon 64 3800+ to an Athlon 64 x2 5600+... And the old cpu/mb have been given to a server-type computer which will also be folding soon.
I set up 2 folding threads on this computer the other day, and it promises to deliver a bit more than twice the speed of the previous cpu :bigggrin:
(I'd run the SMP beta client, but I require this computer to be absolutely stable, and it sounds like there might be some issues with that.)
All in all I expect a boost to about 3-4 times my previous output, thereby securing a spot in the top 100, cause I couldn't seem to hold it previously. ;)

Comments

• QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited August 2007
    SWEET... I'd say you'll be moving up!!! :D
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited August 2007
    Awesome :) let us see those points roll in :)
  • QeldromaQeldroma Arid ZoneAh Member
    edited August 2007
    Upgrading does provide a pleasant boost- and you don't even lose your previous production- should be good soon! :thumbsup:
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited August 2007
    I set up 2 folding threads
    Good work. Now if you'd like to even double that new production, consider installing the Windows SMP client! I raised my production well over 100% by installing SMP on my dual core systems.

I've attached a screenshot showing the production of my bevy of old, overclocked Pentium D CPUs (65nm, Presler Core, dual core). If these old dogs can do that, your hotrod X2 ought to crank out some nice points as well. (The last entry is a C2D/M Dell laptop.)
  • sgstairsgstair Reverse Engineer Redmond, WA Icrontian
    edited August 2007
    Leonardo wrote:
    Good work. Now if you'd like to even double that new production, consider installing the Windows SMP client! I raised my production well over 100% by installing SMP on my dual core systems.

I thought about it, but I really need to be sure this system is very very stable; Perhaps I'm worrying about it too much, but it seems the SMP client might not be as stable as I'd like...
    edited August 2007
    You are correct, that SMP requires a more stable machine. Any overclocking instability will affect SMP. Also, wireless networking card that drop connections can cause SMP units to crash beyond salvage. Apart from that, SMP is much more lucrative than single threaded Folding, even much more two single-threaded clients running.

Concerning the dropped network connections. That can ruin SMP work units. I have had to remove a Netgear wireless card and a D-Link USB wireless adapter from computers. My Linksys cards and Linksys USB adapter work perfectly - no drops and no lost work units.
    edited August 2007
    Heh, I think I misrepresented stable :)
    I mean to say, my machine is very stable; I'm running stock speeds, and it's running quite very cool for a cpu as fast as it is..
    The stability I refer to is that it's my primary work computer, so I can't have it crashing on me or anything odd due to running the SMP client - which I *suspect* (perhaps wrongly) the SMP client might cause instability.
    edited August 2007
    WinSMP will not cause computers to crash. The only way I can see that happening, and it would apply to any program that ramps up CPU utilization, is if the computer could not run at full CPU utilization. As far as Folding or WinSMP Folding goes, a client crash is just that and does not affect the host computer. It's the other way around.
    edited August 2007
    Ok, misunderstanding/misinterpretation on my part then :) I'll give it a go after my current WUs complete.
    edited August 2007
    Let the conquest begin! 1760 points yesterday, 1966 today - FahMon lists my ppd at 1272.5 at the moment.
    I've broken into the top 100 (again), and I aim to stay there this time ;)
    edited August 2007
    Well done!