Problem with raid and installation of windows

MJOMJO Denmark New
edited September 2007 in Hardware
I am becoming a regular in this sub forum. :)

Once again I am having issues with the raid array, this time when I want to install windows.
I wasn't sure about where to place this post, it is also windows related, but I will try my luck here first.

First of all I will describe what has happened and what I have done so far.
It all started Sunday afternoon when I was going to setup my new computer table.
I was moving some stuff when I accidentally flipped the power switch on the outlet that powers the new rig. It was on when it happened and of course it turned off when I flipped the switch. Usually that doesn't do anything and I didn't think anything bad had happened this time.
Later on I was starting up the rig on its new table but it wouldn't boot into windows.
Actually it wouldn't do much at all. I did get the bios POST and it continued booting into windows, and I could see the logo and all. But then a black screen and absolutely nothing happened. I tried booting into failsafe mode, but that didn't work either.

Reluctantly I tried deleting the array and rebuilt it, but now windows will not install.
When it is supposed to format the drive it stops at apprx. 20 % and says something is wrong. The drive may be damaged according to the message.
(This happens both during a regular format and if I use the quick format)
I cannot relay the message completely since it was shown in Danish.
Wierd I thought and tested both drives using Seatools, both of them pass the "Long test" without a hitch.

Now what can I do?
I am considering a low level format of the drives using Seatools.
But there shouldn't be much left when the array is deleted through the RAID BIOS, is that correct?

Comments

• TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited August 2007
    MJO wrote:
    I am becoming a regular in this sub forum. :)

Once again I am having issues with the raid array, this time when I want to install windows.
    I wasn't sure about where to place this post, it is also windows related, but I will try my luck here first.

First of all I will describe what has happened and what I have done so far.
    It all started Sunday afternoon when I was going to setup my new computer table.
    I was moving some stuff when I accidentally flipped the power switch on the outlet that powers the new rig. It was on when it happened and of course it turned off when I flipped the switch. Usually that doesn't do anything and I didn't think anything bad had happened this time.
    Later on I was starting up the rig on its new table but it wouldn't boot into windows.
    Actually it wouldn't do much at all. I did get the bios POST and it continued booting into windows, and I could see the logo and all. But then a black screen and absolutely nothing happened. I tried booting into failsafe mode, but that didn't work either.

Reluctantly I tried deleting the array and rebuilt it, but now windows will not install.
    When it is supposed to format the drive it stops at apprx. 20 % and says something is wrong. The drive may be damaged according to the message.
    (This happens both during a regular format and if I use the quick format)
    I cannot relay the message completely since it was shown in Danish.
    Wierd I thought and tested both drives using Seatools, both of them pass the "Long test" without a hitch.

Now what can I do?
    I am considering a low level format of the drives using Seatools.
    But there shouldn't be much left when the array is deleted through the RAID BIOS, is that correct?

There will be no data you can aceess when you delete the array in the bios.

But I agree with you that if I were stuck in your predicament I would test and low level both drives and make another new array.

Be aware if those are big drives this will take you a LONG time. But it's not like you have a ton of options right now.

Since your going to flush that data killing the array anyway YOU MIGHT consider just trying a Windows install and doing a full Windows format on the drives.. A low level on big modern ide drives will take a weekend basicaly.

START THOUGH by opening that puppy up and reseating all the drives and cables!!!!

Kindest Regards

Cowboy
  • MJOMJO Denmark New
    edited August 2007
    Hi again

I am lost for words, right now I am typing this reply from a freshly installed Windows XP on the Raid-0 array. :p
    What I do not understand is what the problem was.
    All I did was popping the hood on the new rig and reseating all the sata connectors.
    Apparently that did the trick?
    But I can't figure out how I was able to test the drives with Seatools, if there was something wrong with the connection? :confused:

Never mind that.
    Thank you Tex, you probably saved me a lot of trouble. :)
    But I am not too happy about the data I lost because of the format.
    (There are always a couple (many) files that isn't present on the recent backup. But I guess I can find most of it again.
  • TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited August 2007
    MJO wrote:
    Hi again

I am lost for words, right now I am typing this reply from a freshly installed Windows XP on the Raid-0 array. :p
    What I do not understand is what the problem was.
    All I did was popping the hood on the new rig and reseating all the sata connectors.
    Apparently that did the trick?
    But I can't figure out how I was able to test the drives with Seatools, if there was something wrong with the connection? :confused:

Never mind that.
    Thank you Tex, you probably saved me a lot of trouble. :)
    But I am not too happy about the data I lost because of the format.
    (There are always a couple (many) files that isn't present on the recent backup. But I guess I can find most of it again.

Here is the sad part....

If the drives are OK now.... They were then also

SATA is cool but be carefull with the connections.

I would bet anything if I had caught ya earlier .... all you needed was to reseat those connectors and you would of had the array intact.

Now... (wink) you do not know me as a I am an old guy from around here.... (smile) I have been tuning raid subsystems all my life....

And this is not what you want to hear but I promise it's the truth... This is from both an enthusiest and a old man that loves storage products and tuning disks etc.. Been doing this for many years!!

Never use raid-0 except to play. Only put on there what you could afford to lose.

Except for benchmarks it's not THAT much faster anymore if you have mdern high performce drives.....

If you need it faster get scsi or raptors

LYM

Cowboy
  • MJOMJO Denmark New
    edited September 2007
    Tex wrote:
    Here is the sad part....

If the drives are OK now.... They were then also

SATA is cool but be carefull with the connections.

I would bet anything if I had caught ya earlier .... all you needed was to reseat those connectors and you would of had the array intact.

Now... (wink) you do not know me as a I am an old guy from around here.... (smile) I have been tuning raid subsystems all my life....

And this is not what you want to hear but I promise it's the truth... This is from both an enthusiest and a old man that loves storage products and tuning disks etc.. Been doing this for many years!!

Never use raid-0 except to play. Only put on there what you could afford to lose.

Except for benchmarks it's not THAT much faster anymore if you have mdern high performce drives.....

If you need it faster get scsi or raptors

LYM

Cowboy

Hi again.
    A little late with the reply but I have been very busy this past week.

Yes it is quite sad that the data may have been saved, but what is done is done. And nothing will bring it back I guess I'll be ok though.
    The most annoying was that I lost a couple of save games that did take quite som time to achieve. :(

What I still don't understand is how both drives could pass the "Long Test" using Seatools if the connection/connections were bad?
    That doesn't make much sense?:confused:

BTW I have to RAID these to Seagate drives, they are made for it. ;)
    As stated before I am using two Seagate Barracuda ES 320 GB SATA-II drives.

And I have been wanting to have a go at a raid system for at least 4-5 years. ;):cool2: