Martian Arts (krav Maga)

ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
edited September 2007 in Fitness
I need to get fitter. Recently I have noticed that I have:

a. Put on weight due to a more desk job than I used to do.
b. Lacking in personal fitness and not feeling so trim.

I tried the gym but it bores me senseless and I feel no real benefit. I have enrolled for a martial arts course instead:

http://www.commandokravmaga.co.uk/

This is a real hand to hand combat training art. It's less fixed cirriculum and instead very intense physically and mentally. Went to a 2 hour induction session a couple of weeks ago and it was very tough. Good though! I felt truly worn out but it felt good.

I believe it's pretty popular in the US too. Will update this thread as I start my weekly sessions :D

Comments

• KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    Cool beans Dan! I've taken up boxing. Been doing wonders for my waistline. Keep us posted. I expect you to be able to kick my ass next time I see you.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    I'm not too familiar with Martian Arts. They must be pretty good at some of those flying leaps and stuff, because of the lower gravity, right?

Congratulations on getting to Mars to learn their arts, though! Good on ya! :p
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    I think Edgar Rice Burroughs wrote about them a bit. ;)

It's good to see that you've found a fitness tecnique you can enjoy, Dan!
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    I'm not too familiar with Martian Arts. They must be pretty good at some of those flying leaps and stuff, because of the lower gravity, right?

Congratulations on getting to Mars to learn their arts, though! Good on ya! :p
    I will kick your arse first, then Kwitko afterwards. You damn yankee! Brit power yo :cool:
  • NomadNomad A Small Piece of Hell Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    Tell me how it goes, I planned on starting it next summer.
  • LawnMMLawnMM Colorado
    edited September 2007
    How long were you in the gym? Kudos on taking up the Krav Maga, I've been through some of that myself. I think its good in that its not really designed to be fancy or flashy. Its very simple and its brutal. The skillset is also applicable in multiple situations. A knife takeaway is almost indistinguishable from a gun takeaway and the angle you're being attacked from is irrelevent because you're taught to change your own angle so its always the same.

Its good stuff but I think its a little lacking in curriculum. Thinking about taking some Aikido classes this fall myself to see how I like it and how much of it can be applied to my job.
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    I did a couple of nights in the gym but I don't know, just could not stay at it. At the end of a hard day, the last place I wanted to go was the gym. Where as I am really into doing Krav and so look at it more as a release from a long day.

The no flash/fancy aspect is one of the things that I really like about it too. You just start straight away and the whole thing is spontaneous and random. Every session will be different and every situation will be defined completely spontanteously. There is no routine to a session, it's going to be learning to flow, read a situation and use the skillset. It's a challenge physically and mentally. Which is what I was looking for :)
  • LawnMMLawnMM Colorado
    edited September 2007
    If it makes you feel better I've been hitting the gym pretty hard for close to three months now and I'm finally starting to see the size and strength I wanted so don't feel bad about not getting there in a couple days. Krav is a pretty good workout. I tossed my cookies doing that once a few years ago testing out with some of the skillsets.