If geeks love it, we’re on it

Howdy, Stranger!

You found the friendliest gaming & tech geeks around. Say hello!

Radar detectors

sfleurietsfleuriet Texas New
edited Oct 2007 in The Pub
I searched and saw some old threads, but I wanted to ask for some new info.

I just bought a Cobra XRS 9330 from CC for about $80.. I know it's far from top of the line, but I didn't want to spend too much. It detects X, K, Ka, VG-2, Spectre 1, and 4 different types of Lasers also. I just wanted some input on how these work, what type of things it goes off on (false alarms), etc.. I barely know anything about it so help me out. Thanks

Comments

• sfleurietsfleuriet Texas New
    edited Sep 2007
    Also, will it work better in different positions on the window? Should it be higher, lower, pointing up, pointing down, level... ?
  • ClutchClutch North Carolina New
    edited Sep 2007
    You get what you pay for in detectors man, sorry but it's just the way it is. For example check out this video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=778Yd096UQs
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited Sep 2007
    I have the even more cheaper version than that and it works okay for me. I gets lots of false positives but that's because of the area. Highway patrol leave the radar on on rural and urban roads so you can get a hit anywhere. Mine goes from 1 to 5 so you've got some time to slow down.
  • NomadNomad A Small Piece of Hell Icrontian
    edited Sep 2007
    When Thrax and I were hanging around with Prime's friend (Scott was his name I think), he had a detector that was dead accurate. Ran him like $300. He said anything less isn't reliable.
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited Sep 2007
    yes...spend some money if you want a good one. Mine was $249 and it works well driving to Warren and back...especially across indiana where the cops use laser instead of radar.

as far as position you want it to be able to detect out all windows. so make sure you put it high enough on your front windshield to be able to detect out the back.
  • jaredjared College Station, TX Icrontian
    edited Sep 2007
    Yeah go big or go home.

Stay away from cheap brands, including all Cobras. They're terrible.

Is you are going to get one, save up and get a Passport 8500 or Valentine. Those are arguably the two best on the market. I personally owned a Passport 8500 and highly recommend it.
    edited Sep 2007
    jared...arent passport's the one where they will pay your speeding ticket if you get one while using their radar detectors?
    edited Sep 2007
    I realize I didn't get the best one, and I'm fine with that. I've been dodging the police for many months without incident without any kind of detector, so having this one should be better than nothing. Plus, if nothing else, it's a gadget - and like most of us on this forum, I like gadgets :D

That video is cool, but that was honestly absolute best case scenario.. completely flat road the whole way, no obstructions.
  • tmh88tmh88 Pittsburgh / Athens, OH
    edited Sep 2007
    still, find a cheap one that could even do that.
  • LawnMMLawnMM Colorado
    edited Sep 2007
    Keep in mind that even with a radar detector the newer laser radar guns are instant on. There's no signal to pick up on they pull the trigger and you're locked immediately.
    edited Sep 2007
    Most small local police departments probably wont be using new technologies like that, will they? I might need to worry about that on the Interstates, but it probably isn't an issue in town.
  • ThraxThrax Professional Shill, Watch Slut, Mumble Hivemind Drone Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited Sep 2007
    You shouldn't need one.
    edited Sep 2007
    Shouldn't need a smoke detector either, but ya never know! ;)
  • ThraxThrax Professional Shill, Watch Slut, Mumble Hivemind Drone Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited Sep 2007
    Most people aren't deliberately setting fire to their homes. ;)
    edited Sep 2007
    Speeding isn't intentional 100% of the time. PLUS, it will also alert you of on-coming emergency vehicles so you can get out of the way. :D
  • LawnMMLawnMM Colorado
    edited Sep 2007
    sfleuriet wrote:
    Most small local police departments probably wont be using new technologies like that, will they? I might need to worry about that on the Interstates, but it probably isn't an issue in town.

I'd be willing to bet smaller departments have more of them than larger because the cost of outfitting a few cars with them is signficantly less than outfitting an entire fleet with the same technology.

Besides, like thrax said...you shouldn't need one. Speeding may not always be intentional but I don't know any cop that writes for speeding for less than 10 over. I've you're speeding more than 10 over...its intentional or you're the worst driver on the planet. Either way you run the risk of reaping the consequences.

Most people, barring privately paid for driving classes, are not really aware or capable of handling a vehicle at high speed in anything but a semi-straight line. Thats why we have speed limits, and thats why these young idiot kids with their souped up imports are always wrecking. :rolleyes2 Thats more paperwork for me :mad:

On the upside its humorous when some tool with 20k under the hood wrecks it because he can't drive :tongue:
    sfleuriet wrote:
    Speeding isn't intentional 100% of the time. PLUS, it will also alert you of on-coming emergency vehicles so you can get out of the way. :D

Most cops aren't running radar while they're running lights and siren. Besides most people are blithering idiots and don't move till you're right on their ass holding the airhorn button down.
  • jaredjared College Station, TX Icrontian
    edited Sep 2007
    Well maybe it is just because I am in a college town but the cops around here are either really cool or complete dicks. There is no in between.

Oh, and the Passport 8500 does pickup "instant on" guns. So as long you are not the only one on the road speeding alone you'll get a decent warning just like the other bands. Besides many departments don't like the 'instant on' guns to due to their inaccuracy in various weather conditions.
  • LawnMMLawnMM Colorado
    edited Sep 2007
    Uh, its not just the instant on guns that are innacurate with weather. You can't run radar in the rain or snow period. It affects the reading regardless of what band of radar or laser you're using.

There isn't much to pick up with the instant on guns but if you want to risk a ticket based on it, be my guest.
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited Sep 2007
    The detector is very unlikely to pick up instant-on laser trained on another car unless it's right in front of you. Chances are if your detector lights up with instant-on, you're caught.

I found that when I had a radar detector in my car, I actually tended to drive slower (about 5 over) than I do without it (about 8 over) because I bought one that cost about a hundred bucks and it picked up leakage from other people's detectors, so it bleeped at me all the time.

Oh, and the emergency warning system never went off. Not once. If you are buying a detector thinking that's a useful feature, don't fool yourself.
  • LawnMMLawnMM Colorado
    edited Sep 2007
    GHoosdum wrote:
    The detector is very unlikely to pick up instant-on laser trained on another car unless it's right in front of you. Chances are if your detector lights up with instant-on, you're caught.

My point exactly.
  • NomadNomad A Small Piece of Hell Icrontian
    edited Sep 2007
    sfleuriet wrote:
    Speeding isn't intentional 100% of the time.

Much like rape.
    edited Sep 2007
    You know those signs that say use caution when its raining, or slow down...its all lies...the cops know they cant bust ya for speeding then...so drive it like ya stole it mcfly!

ahem...please drive safely, especially in michigan, because some potholes there are bigger than your car ;)
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited Sep 2007
    They call those sinkholes everywhere else, but in Michigan they're just regular potholes.
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited Sep 2007
    LawnMM wrote:
    Most people, barring privately paid for driving classes, are not really aware or capable of handling a vehicle at high speed in anything but a semi-straight line. Thats why we have speed limits, and thats why these young idiot kids with their souped up imports are always wrecking. :rolleyes2 Thats more paperwork for me :mad:

Damn those ricers and their 2Fast2Furious cars. If only the kids would soup up domestic cars instead. :rolleyes: Mustangs and Cameros are so much better.:rolleyes2
  • LawnMMLawnMM Colorado
    edited Sep 2007
    Damn those ricers and their 2Fast2Furious cars. If only the kids would soup up domestic cars instead. :rolleyes: Mustangs and Cameros are so much better.:rolleyes2

I don't really care what they soup up, its all mangled metal when they wrap it around a light pole. I'm knocking their dumping of money under whatever hood they have and then dumping the whole car in a ditch because they can't drive...not the origin of their soon to be wrecked vehicle.
    edited Sep 2007
    LawnMM wrote:
    Speeding may not always be intentional but I don't know any cop that writes for speeding for less than 10 over.
    That happens a lot here to friends of mine.. I've heard about 4 over, 5 over, 8 over, etc. It all depends how old you are! They target the teenagers.
    LawnMM wrote:
    Most cops aren't running radar while they're running lights and siren. Besides most people are blithering idiots and don't move till you're right on their ass holding the airhorn button down.
    The manual for my radar detector...
    Strobe Alert - "Special strobes mounted on the light bars of authorized emergency vehicles (fire trucks, police cars, ambulances) automatically change traffic signals as the vehicle approaches an intersection.... will detect these special strobes and give an emergency vehicle alert." It also goes on to say it can pick up signals from (equipped) railroad crossings or road construction vehicles.
    GHoosdum wrote:
    Oh, and the emergency warning system never went off. Not once. If you are buying a detector thinking that's a useful feature, don't fool yourself.
    Obviously I'm not saying you're stupid and you can't hear, but it may work better on different radar detectors. My friend's semi high dollar ($100-$200 range) radar detector picks up ambulances VERY well. It alerts (with a loud [sexy] female voice) long before you actually see the speeding ambulance. I remember seeing it in action late one night riding with him on the interstate - I was impressed.
    edited Sep 2007
    What kinds of things do radar detectors give false alarms on? (X band mostly) I've read they go off on automatic doors like at grocery stores (confirmed), microwaves, microwave towers, some garage door openers... what else? I was driving by some businesses today and it was picking up a weak X signal. One was a building with a dry cleaners, insurance office, and cellular sales store. :confused:
    edited Sep 2007
    Your radar detector will potentially give false positives in the following range of frequencies:

7-12.5GHz ("X" IEEE Radar Band)
    12-18GHz (Ku IEEE Radar Band)
    18-40GHz (Ka IEEE Band)

There aren't too many commercial devices that operate in these bands. Microwaves are in the ~2.5GHz range, WiFi is in the 2.4 range, 5GHz for 802.11A, most phones operate at 900 or 1900MHz, etc. You might get interference from high-speed microwave communications towers, but these are pretty rare as the EHF spectrum of the EM band that X, Ku and Ka are in isn't very viable for long-range communication.
    edited Sep 2007
    So when I drive by odd places like that and get a weak (1 out of 5) X alert, what do you think it could be? Do many cops even use X anymore? I read somewhere they started using X about 50 years ago. I know the automatic doors at the grocery store near my house always give off a K signal when I drive near by, so it definitely isn't just X for false alarms.
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited Sep 2007
    IIRC, I saw a radar a few months ago that included a gps for those kind of false alarms.