i am so pissed. hard drive won't detect!

ins4n17yins4n17y Cabanatuan City, Philippines Icrontian
edited November 2007 in Hardware
as much as i love my yellow computer which i have here http://icrontic.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41700&page=2&highlight=post+rigs but i had this dfi lanparty nfII ultra-b bouard that i bought off ebay long ago and never got around to using it till now that i want to build a media computer that is quiet and silent and be on 24/7. i put it together with a brand new enermax power supply 500w liberty, an athlon mobile xp barton cpu, 3gb of corsair xms3500llpro brand new 20x dvd/ram writer from lg, and an all in wonder ati radeon 9600 agp. thats when the problem started. this is supposed to be a media pc right so alot of space for all those hd clips i'mma slap in.

in my yellow computer above with the link i bought at the time the best hard drive i could find. it was the 750gb seagate barracuda 7200.10 with ncq tech and perpendicular recording with 16mb cache and sata2 3.0gb/s. as far as i know it worked fine when i took it out of the yellow comp. but as soon as i slapped it into my new media pc, everything boots but at the screen where it says silimage I114 controller, it locks up. usually whats supposed to happen from my experience is that you see the sata hard drives capacity and the system goes on its way to booting up for you. not here. it displays the model number of the drive, and there is a cursor where that drives capacity is supposed to be present slightly to the right of the model number. it just hangs there. num lock on the keyboard works fine (the system hasn't hanged it just can't see the drive), i've changed the memory capapcities and switching sticks (don't know what that would do but oh well) anyways i got sick of the situation so i got a 250gb sata drive off my friend and it detected it and my new dfi board played nice for a change with the smaller sata drive. so i continued after detection and i installed windows onto the 250gb sata a seagate barracuda 7200.10 as well but slightly lesser capacity. funny how my yellow computer is older the abit nf-7s 2.0, has an older silicon image sata chip the i112 and the 750 works just fine, i just tried it now (tried the 750 seagate into the abit nf7-s 2.0) just before posting this. this is why i hate new technologies and primesuspect, who encouraged me to write articles for icrontic is definately going to hear in a future article about why i hate new technologies. now i know sata has been around for a long time and there are many advantages because of it compared to ide, but this just doesn't make any sense! i booted and installed windows just fine on the same series of hard drives just a lesser capacity and it works just fine, the bios locks up whenever the 750gb is installed. i flashed the bios to the latest version as soon as windows booted on the 250gb and still when i switched the 750 with the 250 same thing. for fun because i know sata is hot swappable i booted the system full spec with the video 3gb ram everything is fine and dandy with the 250 so when in windows then i slapped in the 750 though a hot swap while the system was on through sata, gave it a full zero erase through windlg (a tool from western digital) and formatted the drive successfully. i there anything i'm missing? the controller seems to work just fine with the 750 only when i hot plug it into windows from having booted from the 250. but not when i want just the 750 drive in there, nothing else. i need help now, because i need another computer <
that computer specifically to write the articles for incrontic on. why don't i use the 250? it's not big enough, and it's for the yellow computer. right now i have no desktops and my laptop is FULL with 3mb of space left on ALL it's (external) hard drives.

HELP!

anyone can any one help me get my 750 to play with my system config so i can install windows?

Comments

• BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    It sorta sounds to me like the controller or whatever doesn't like big drives. What about formatting the 750GB drive into 3 250GB partitions?

I googled your problem, and it seems other people have had issues with the Sil3114 and 750GB Seagate drives not getting along.
  • ins4n17yins4n17y Cabanatuan City, Philippines Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    It sorta sounds to me like the controller or whatever doesn't like big drives. What about formatting the 750GB drive into 3 250GB partitions?

I googled your problem, and it seems other people have had issues with the Sil3114 and 750GB Seagate drives not getting along.

thats funny how the Sil3112 controller works wonders with the 750 on the abit nf7-s 2.0 i have and NOT the Sil3114 on the supposedly newer and better Silicon Image chip within the DFi Lanparty NFII Ultra-B.

I'd like to have the google results you googled.

Thing is, maybe I should zero the seagate and see if it detects with no partition.
  • edited October 2007
    Have you updated to the latest bios on that DFI board? There might be some capability updates to the SI bios. Also, have you tried the drive in both SATA 1.5 and SATA 3.0 modes? There is a jumper you have to remove on the side of the hard drive to run in SATA 3.0 (at least there is on the 500 gig 7200.9 drive I installed on a friend's computer).
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    I think that controller only does 1.5. Check the jumper and make sure the drive is set to 1.5. Also try zeroing it.
    edited October 2007
    muddocktor wrote:
    Have you updated to the latest bios on that DFI board? There might be some capability updates to the SI bios. Also, have you tried the drive in both SATA 1.5 and SATA 3.0 modes? There is a jumper you have to remove on the side of the hard drive to run in SATA 3.0 (at least there is on the 500 gig 7200.9 drive I installed on a friend's computer).

i mentioned that i did flash the bios, no effect. i also did try the 1.5 jumper drive and yes both the dfi lanparty nfii ultra-b with the sil3114 and the abit nf7-s 2.0 with the sil3112 controllers only do serial ata 1.5gb/s. even without the jumper the sil3112 works fine on sata 3.0gb/s with the older abit but not on the newer sil3114 on the dfi with or without the 1.5gb/s sata jumper on or not.

thanks for your help all, it is very much appreciated.
    edited October 2007
    I think that controller only does 1.5. Check the jumper and make sure the drive is set to 1.5. Also try zeroing it.

ok so i took out the 750, slapped in the working 250gb seagate same model just different capapcity. the 750 is an es drive, the 250 is not. other than the es difference, its the same seagate barracuda 7200.10 sata 1.5 drive. so i booted up into windows, and hot plugged in the seagate 750. then i:

i tried zeroing it. booted the 250 and 750 at the same time. again same problem. reads the 250 but freezes at the 750 with the blinking cursor.

new technology is so gay. (i hope no one here in icrontic is; as this is not meant to be a discriminatory statement, however, will revise if necessary)

THEN i took out sata connector from the 750 booted windows from the 250 hot plugged in the zeroed drive and i broke the 750 into two equal partitions of 375gb each after reinitializing them again through windows control panel > computer management > disk management. performed two quick formats just to see if this would work in this same window.

still the same problem after booting 750 with two 375 equal partitions although once past the bootup process, afterhot plugging the 750's two equal partitions work fine in windows.

i delete all partitions. zero the drive again with windlg tools dldiag from western digital utilities. this time i try 3 250gb partitions, on the 750 all of them quick formatted.

it failed yet again. i give up. i throw in the towel. technology is gay. have a great day

i'm so pissed. thanks all for all your help. but i'm not going to deal with this anymore.

goodbye all, when i get this computer running with working *cough* hard drives i'll be writing some articles. see you then!
  • edited November 2007
    I have the exact same problem on my ASUS A7N8X Deluxe board; the system stalls just as it's about to read the size of the 750GB Seagate SATA drive on boot-up. This board also uses the Silicon Image RAID chip so it's quite likely that's the cause of the problem here. I've also tried updating the bios (which did include updates to the SATA controller) but it didn't help. As you have rightly pointed out, it seems hot plugging is the only way to get the drive to work and I have had no problems accessing it in Windows this way. It's just a pain to have to do that on each boot though. I'll be getting a new board soon so hopefully it will work without problems on that one :)
  • RichDRichD Essex, UK
    edited November 2007
    Sorry if anyone else has said this but will prob need a clean install. The SATA controler wont be installed on your new HD and as you cant boot to windows you cant install it. You will need to either reinstall pressing F6 and add the SATA drive that way or you may be able to do a repair.