Wired router or not?

ZuntarZuntar North Carolina Icrontian
edited November 2007 in Science & Tech
I need help to pick a nice replacement router out PLEASE, as my router is just starting to go flaky on me.:(

1. I have a wired network.
2. It consists of 3 PCs and a network printer all connected via cat 5.
3. My current router is a NETGEAR RP614 10/100Mbps Web Safe Router and I've had it for at least 5 years.
4. I do not have a laptop, nor do I plan on getting a laptop.
5. I am not apposed to spending a little extra for a nice one.
6. If it has wireless capability, that would be fine as any guest in my home would then be able to enjoy the network.

Now with that info in mind, I am not sure where to start. I just want a nice secure router. Any latest and greatest encryption or VPN or what ever would be great!

It seems as though most of the info and reviews out there are for wireless routers.

Are todays wireless routers both wired and wireless? As in am I looking for a "cd drive" when I should be looking for a "dvd burner"?:confused:

Comments

• kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited November 2007
    Most home wireless routers also have at least 4 ports for wired lan's. The wireless features are easily dissabled and thanks to economies of scale they are about the same price and some times cheaper then a wired only router these days

Personally I suggest the Linksys WRT54GL series of routers running 3rd party Tomato firmware it's faster and more full featured then the stock software.
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited November 2007
    WRT54GL running DD-WRT.
  • ZuntarZuntar North Carolina Icrontian
    edited November 2007
    The WRT54GL is linux based and I do not run linux. Will I be able to run it on Win-XP? how does that work?
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited November 2007
    The linux based is referring only to the software running the router. It has nothing to do with what computers you have attached to it. I for example have a pc running windows, 1 running linux and a Mac all through the same router.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited November 2007
    Zuntar wrote:
    The WRT54GL is linux based and I do not run linux. Will I be able to run it on Win-XP? how does that work?

A highway is a highway, whether it's made of asphalt or concrete.
  • ZuntarZuntar North Carolina Icrontian
    edited November 2007
    Thrax wrote:
    A highway is a highway, whether it's made of asphalt or concrete.

Gotcha. :wink: