Custom maps

primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' BoopinDetroit, MI Icrontian
edited April 2008 in Team Fortress 2
I really like stronghold

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/usermovies/117998.html

I've played it several times, and I think the quality is up to par with retail maps. Do you guys think we should add it?

Comments

• RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited November 2007
    Glad you posted Prime.

I spent about an hour yesterday searching for nothing but servers with custom maps.

Then also found this thread: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=606962

I like capture the flag personally and there are about 8 options besides 2Fort in that list.

There are screenshots and everything, along with links to download the maps so you can add them locally and do a bit of looking around.

Let's decide and add a couple to our server :D
  • TBonZTBonZ Ottawa, ON Icrontian
    edited November 2007
    Yeah, I've played it before, definitely give it a try!
  • edited November 2007
    Two thumbs up for Stronghold!

I'm personally a huge fan of Castle. The aesthetics are just really pleasing to me as opposed to the usual desert/industrial/desert industrial enviroments out there. Also, it plays Mario music at certain points in the game, which is a winner for me. *laughs*

If there is one map I would NOT recommend, and do so in giant red font underlined and italicized, it would I feel be cp_lazytown. Possibly I'm a bit biased, as I once had a stalemate in that map that went on for the better part of two hours or so (which only ended when our entire team got fed up and went all heavies and started punching people). It could have been the people playing, but any map that involves that kind of lengthy and ridiculous stalemating should be locked in a barrel and thrown to the bottom of the sea. (In this I also vaguely include 2fort, which annoys me because it's quite feasible to do nothing but turtle in your Intel room with engineers.)

Also cp_lazytown, when I was playing it at least, was really poorly optimized and had certain areas that would lag you graphically whenever you walked through them. That area specifically being right outside our spawn base, which was quite fantastic really.

Anyhow there's my 2cents for all it's worth! >.>

Benif
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited November 2007
    Been wondering something about custom maps. Do the designers take into consideration the different abilities of each class when they make the maps? Like high places for demoman and soldiers, sniper spots, tight corners for pyros, stuff like that? I've played some that just flat out suck.
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited November 2007
    Holy crap that stronghold looks like you could get lost in it.

You could have 40 players on that map.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited November 2007
    No, it's not nearly as big as it looks. I've played it several times, it's fun.
  • NiGHTSNiGHTS San Diego Icrontian
    edited November 2007
    I was actually going to recommend we don't use Castle simply because it has the tendency to become a sniping whore map. We could certainly try it out, though.

Stronghold looks fun, why the hell not!
  • HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
    edited November 2007
    Played Stronghold a bunch of times and it has multiple routes to the enemy territory. Which is nice. Also, the map plays well with full teams. I like it.
    Castle wasn't bad. Played that quite a few times too. It's playable.
    I agree with the lazytown assessment. No love here for that map.
  • HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
    edited November 2007
    Cool map place Ryder. They have most maps too.
    Found another place you can get a bunch of the custom maps.
    Lot of the new maps out also, as far as I know.. tfportal.de/downloads
    I played a map called powerhouse which was pretty cool. There's lots of thumbnails out there if you google it. If you want to see the layout.
    Objective: Activate your security shield at the Powerhouse, only one teams shield can be active at any time!
    While the enemies shield is down go capture their intelligence.
    The guy who made it is still working on making the design/gameplay better too.
    So, There will be updates to it.
    I'm going through all the custom maps I've played and will post about more when I get to know them a little.
    The one CTF Mine 4 looks like a cool one. I like the thumbnails at that site Ryder. You can at least get an idea of what the map looks like.
    Played CTF Mach 2 a bunch of times and it's definitely a keeper.
    Multiple routes and attack spots for all classes in the game.
  • HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
    edited November 2007
    Another nice site to look at thumbnails and get downloads of new maps..
    fpsbanana.com
    Seems they may have a few the others don't.
    Played CTF Firmbases. Not a bad map. Playable. I think a few of us have played this together.
    CTF Floodzone -- Mehhh, I definitely didn't care for that one.
    Seemed it's just to sniper heavy.
    CP Wolf wasn't bad. Gives you multiple routes for all gameplay. Playable. Bunch of us have played that one.
    CP Crazed Acre-- I didn't care for that one. Too many choke points where you can't get through the map.
    CP Rooftime... That map just plain was bad for choke points and hard to maneuver/move over to enemy cap points. Catwalks and such. Enemy could just shot you off the building most of the time. Or you'd fall off the roof trying to get over to other side.
    CP Rats alpha 1 & 2-- There's some fun to be had in these maps even though you better be careful maneuvering around or drop to your death. Or at least lose most of your health. There's potential for snipers to overwhelm the map but it's still playable and fun. You definitely have to learn the map to play it.
    There's one map that was all snow covered mountains that I didn't get to play very long but seemed like a cool big map. It was CP orientated. From the short time I was in the map it was fun. Seemed to be another sniper haven map too though. Very open. When I played there was only 2-3 people on it, checking the map out.
    These are just my humble observations of maps I've played friends.
    So, Don't be afraid to give us your input on these and other maps you've played too.
    Some of you may like many of the maps that I don't but thats what this thread is for.. Discussion and debate on new maps.
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited November 2007
    Nice options for custom maps Hawk.. good work mate :D

Over to teh server overlords to sift through them ;)
  • TiberiusLazarusTiberiusLazarus Icrontian
    edited November 2007
    I personally like stronghold. I think it was the first custom map I tried. There are definitely some interesting places on that map that make for a good time. Plus we need more ctf maps. Haven't really looked at many others. The ones I have looked at weren't great, but I'm willing to give any map a try.
  • HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
    edited November 2007
    Shorty wrote:
    Nice options for custom maps Hawk.. good work mate :D

Over to teh server overlords to sift through them ;)

Thnx Shorty,
    I've been having fun just checking out custom maps at all the different places that have them.
    Then I look for them on the TF2 servers to get in a little real time on them for evaluation. It's a blast.
    I'm having a nice hot cuppa right now while getting ready to go check out some of the custom maps.
    Hey Shorty, Don't forget to accept my friend invite so we can see each other while playing TF2.
    I sent it already so you should have it listed in your steam control panel.
  • CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian
    edited November 2007
    I have a question. Once I download a new map, where do I put it? I haven't been able to find the location for my maps on my computer anywhere... I even tried searching for the .bsp files and can only find the one I downloaded.
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited November 2007
    http://www.overclockers.com.au/wiki/Team_Fortress_2
    Maps should be extracted to your /Steam/*account name*/teamfortress 2/tf/maps directory.
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited December 2007
    After several nights of observation, I think that all of the custom maps should be removed from the regular rotation. It simply kills the server every time one of them comes up... :/
    edited December 2007
    How many {IC} were on at those times?

I've seen a few custom maps start with 6 of us on, and within 15 minutes we get a pretty healthy public showing. I know that I personally will be more inclined to join a server with 12-14/24 people on that has a custom map running. "There must be something good about it, look at all the people in it."
    edited December 2007
    NiGHTS wrote:
    How many {IC} were on at those times?

I've seen a few custom maps start with 6 of us on, and within 15 minutes we get a pretty healthy public showing. I know that I personally will be more inclined to join a server with 12-14/24 people on that has a custom map running. "There must be something good about it, look at all the people in it."

True, but the wait time for downloading kinda sucks. A new map yesterday took over 5 minutes to download and load. Others give up and find another server.
    edited December 2007
    Yeah I wanted to comment on that, too. Our downloads are painfully slow. That reason alone is going to prevent people from playing. :/
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited December 2007
    A custom map is fine if there are a dozen or more IC guys, and we all want to play the map together, but when there are only a few of us, and we're relying on the public to fill enough slots to make it fun, the custom maps don't seem to work out.
    edited December 2007
    I wonder if there is a setting in the server cfg that throttles bandwidth on the downloading of maps?
  • HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
    edited December 2007
    I wonder the same thing as TBonZ ^^.
    Seems funny that the server wouldn't DL as fast as others that are on Steam.
    I've loaded custom maps from all different servers and never waited more than approx a minute to get it. And the minute ones were big maps.
    Then again I haven't had to DL any maps from our server, because I had already DLed them from other servers.
    edited December 2007
    CB Droege wrote:
    A custom map is fine if there are a dozen or more IC guys, and we all want to play the map together, but when there are only a few of us, and we're relying on the public to fill enough slots to make it fun, the custom maps don't seem to work out.

That would be a perfect time to change the map to get the public to join, then. PM Prime for the rcon password.
  • HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
    edited December 2007
    Like now.
    Rolleggroll & I were playing early this morning.
    There were only 2 of us so he changed the map to Duel-Duel and it's been stuck there ever since. Because I don't have the password.
    I PMed prime for it, but he must be out and about today.
    At least not online.
    I've been playing on other servers all afternoon now because no one or only one or two people come in for duel-duel.:rolleyes2
  • SPIKE09SPIKE09 Scatland
    edited December 2007
    8 on it now inc. Tbonz still playing duel to duel
    edited December 2007
    Hawk wrote:
    Like now.
    Rolleggroll & I were playing early this morning.
    There were only 2 of us so he changed the map to Duel-Duel and it's been stuck there ever since. Because I don't have the password.
    I PMed prime for it, but he must be out and about today.
    At least not online.
    I've been playing on other servers all afternoon now because no one or only one or two people come in for duel-duel.:rolleyes2

;D
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited December 2007
    Is duel-duel in the rotation? :wtf:
    edited December 2007
    Keebler wrote:
    Is duel-duel in the rotation? :wtf:

It seems to be, it was up when I joined this afternoon with no other clan mates around.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited December 2007
    It's not in the rotation. The rotation is back to normal maps. The others are available upon request:

CTF_Stronghold
    CTF_Turbine
    CTF_Snofort
    CP_Warpath
  • HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
    edited December 2007
    Hehehe, Snotfort's pretty cool too.
    I call it that because once you get inside the enemys fort/intel area you get the snot blown out of you!
    Only one way into the intel room and it's a very closed area leading to it..
    I played with a pretty good team on one server where we got through and captured the intel 3-4 times (forgot how many needed) in 15-20 mins for the win.
    Lots of fast action on that one.