Q6600 OC temps ?

scottscott Medina, Ohio Icrontian
edited November 2007 in Hardware
Hey guys

I know a lot of us have quads now, I was curious to see what kind of temps people are getting full load with what kind of cooling.

I am running a water cooled setup with a homemade waterblock a swiftech pump and a single 120 rad with 1/2" hose. I am running at 8 X 400 for a 3.2 ghz clock. It is 75 degrees in my office and after lapping the quad all four cores are within a couple of degrees the low core being 47 C and the high 49 C. Before lapping I had a 6 C degree spread.

I am running an thermalright Ultra 120 on my dual core and it never goes over 37 C full load.

I'd really like to get my quad down in the low 40's.

What kind of cooling are you guys using , what OC , what temps ???

Let me know

Thanks

Scott

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited November 2007
    My dad air-cools a 3.1GHz quad, topping out at 59C in a 72-75F room.

Lapped also.
  • scottscott Medina, Ohio Icrontian
    edited November 2007
    What kind of air cooling ?
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited November 2007
    Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme
  • mas0nmas0n howdy Icrontian
    edited November 2007
    On what I consider very good water I still hit 43C on the hottest core at 400x8 (1.29V) . Hitting almost 60C at 425x9 with 1.51V.

swiftech pump
    Apogee GT
    PA120.3 w/ slow & silent fans
    cpu lapped also
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited November 2007
    I'm a little higher than these guys, around a 3.4GHz OC, with a Scythe Infinity in an Antec 900, after lapping, I'm between 50 and 55 or so. Both lapped.

Oop, just noticed, not better than Mason's second option, but yeah, 3.4ish.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited November 2007
    Ambient temp approximately 20C/72F. Measurements are at CPU full load (2 X FAH SMP). 'CPU' temperature is hottest core of four, measured by Core Temp. If you are using another monitor, your reading may be off by as much as 15C!

System 1: B3 @3.2GHz, 60C, Tuniq Tower 120 (lapped CPU)
    System 4: G0 @3.4GHz, 59C, Zalman CNPS 9700 NT
    System 5: G0 @3.4GHz, 60C, Tuniq Tower 120

I can shave off about 2C for each CPU if I turn up the CPU fans all the way. They are each running now at about 70% RPM. The Tuniqs are annoying at 100% and the Zalman very annoying. (tip - Zalman is NOT the best compromise of sound of cooling that they claim to be. I have four different heatsinks from Zalman - all great performers but none particularly quiet when set to high fan speeds.) I am using Arctic Silver 5. I followed the instructions for quad core the AS site, but I'm thinking I may be using too much paste. I worked on one of the machines the other day, pulled the heatsink, and was surprised at how much paste was on it. I'm thinking about pulling one of the sinks, and just applying the narrowest bead of paste I can from the AS5 syringe.

Please specify what temperature monitor you are using. With the Q6600, it makes a huge difference.
    edited November 2007
    ^^^I'm using Speedfan 4.34 Beta, which for the record is just as accurate as CoreTemp now and should be a public release soon.
  • JokkeJokke Bergen, Norway Icrontian
    edited November 2007
    What is lapping? Sorry if it's a really nooby question...
    edited November 2007
    I'm using Speedfan 4.34 Beta, which for the record is just as accurate as CoreTemp now and should be a public release soon.
    Unless 4.34 beta is significantly changed from 4.33 final, your temps are misreported by 10-15C. Yes, Core Temp is considered the de facto temperature measuring utility for Core 2 dual and quad cores.

BTW, if you are like and really like SpeedFan's interface and ease custom configuration, you can use Core Temp as your baseline and calibrate SpeedFan to report core temperatures accurately.
    edited November 2007
    Unless 4.34 beta is significantly changed
    Woohoo! It is significantly changed. I just downloaded and installed SpeedFan 4.34 beta. It tracks the Q6600's four cores' temperatures almost exactly the same as Core Temp. Alright, I'm happy. Thanks, Mason.

Update: SpeedFan 4.34 Beta works well on my Gigabyte board but not my Abits. Won't even install on an Abit IP35-E
    edited November 2007
    Thanks guys ! Just what I needed to know.

I am using Everest beacuse it has a nice pretty "Gadget" for the vista sidebar.
    I have checked it against Coretemp and speedfan all report the same temps.

Hey Mason
    Do you know what your water temp is ? I am trying to figure out if it is my rad or block that is keeping me warm. My water temp is 34C.

Thanks

Scott
    edited November 2007
    scott wrote:
    Hey Mason
    Do you know what your water temp is ? I am trying to figure out if it is my rad or block that is keeping me warm. My water temp is 34C.

I do not know what my water temp is. If I had to guess I would say that the single 120mm rad is your issue, I'm surprised it is running so cool. What are you loading with?
    edited November 2007
    mas0n wrote:
    What are you loading with?

Usually a nice tumbler of Jim Beam on Ice ! :D

But seriously, those are 24/7 folding temps. ( SMP ) It only gets a degree or 2 hotter with OCCT or Prime 95.

My Radiator is a Black Ice Extreme. Which is twice as thick as most so it has a lot of area to cool but still only 1 fan. The fan is a 25 x 120 panflo running at about 1700rpm. I do not see any difference running it at 2000. Except noise. So I think the fan and rad are optimized for each other.

What would be nice to know is what a good delta would be between water temp and core temp. That would tell me the efficency of my block. I can always get the water cooler with a bigger rad. But if the delta on my block sucks then I should start there.

Ahh.... the joys of modding and overclocking ! ( I can't leave anything alone )

Scott
    edited November 2007
    Ahh.... the joys of modding and overclocking ! ( I can't leave anything alone )
    A kindred soul!
    edited November 2007
    Aye, the Black Ice Extreme is a good rad. You built you're own block? I demand pics!
    scott wrote:
    ( I can't leave anything alone )

NEVAR!
    edited November 2007
    mas0n wrote:
    You built you're own block? I demand pics!

Well if you DEMAND them...then here they are.

Body is Acrylic , core is pure copper. All CNC machined.

I would think this qualifies me for the DIY or Modding achievement badge ....hint hint

Scott
    4.jpg 46.4K
    5.jpg 57.1K
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited November 2007
    Indeed... and $50 if you turn it into an article :D
    edited November 2007
    Thanks Keebs !!

If my typing and composition skills were better I would write an article or 2. But I am one sloooow typist.

Hey Mud are you out there ?
    What is a good delta between water and core for a quad ?

Scott