Point/Place correspondence

sgstairsgstair Reverse EngineerRedmond, WA Icrontian
edited November 2007 in Folding@Home
So, I guess it was a while ago, but it seems like it wasn't that long ago when I was just trying to get into the top 100 (with a bit older computer than I'm using now) - and the barrier to entry was roughly 100k points.... Now it's over 250k points before you make the top 100.

So I'm curious as to how this changes over time...
Right now the barriers to entry are:
Top 200: 84,702
Top 100: 254,137
Top 50: 559,966
Top 25: 1,126,090

Don't know why I'm interested, just too curious maybe :)

Comments

• broady81broady81 Member
    edited November 2007
    Nearly in the top 200... must get there... so close :wtf:
  • sgstairsgstair Reverse Engineer Redmond, WA Icrontian
    edited November 2007
    Yes, very close - you're going to break my numbers inside of a few hours ;)
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited November 2007
    Heh, I was in the top 50 back in the day of the WUs being worth ones or tens of points.
    I had a mini-farm of Celeron 400s back then ;D
    edited November 2007
    Hee; yeah WU's points have been inflating a lot over time.
    Such a different landscape now, with quads being able to fold like a small country of lesser machines (ok, well maybe not -quite- that well.)
  • DanGDanG I AM CANADIAN Icrontian
    edited November 2007
    The only way you'd have the point levels stay standard would be if everyone in front of you stopped folding, and I hope that doesn't happen.
    edited November 2007
    I'm not suggesting they should be made standard; I'm just a bit curious as to how they're moving relative to each other - and thanks to statistics, just knowing the change in the point levels at various threshhold levels actually does a pretty good job of characterising the team as a whole.
  • broady81broady81 Member
    edited November 2007
    Can I just say : broady81, placed/ranked : 199 :bigggrin: personal top 200 achievement for me :smiles: finally got there after being either side of it :wink:
    edited November 2007
    Nice :D
    (Now if you stop folding for a few days, you can do it again!... not that I would advocate such a thing ;) )
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited November 2007
    I remember being 24th on the team with 32 points if that helps. :)
  • QeldromaQeldroma Arid ZoneAh Member
    edited November 2007
    sgstair wrote:
    ... I'm just a bit curious as to how they're moving relative to each other - and thanks to statistics, just knowing the change in the point levels at various threshhold levels actually does a pretty good job of characterising the team as a whole.

I think DanG stated it okay, but I add this flourish- the higher up you go, the faster the points change. You have more commited people who also try to add more machines and stay apace with the technology- so the points not only move but accelerate.

Team 93 has registered over 1600 folders, but only somewhere between 250-320 have been active at any given time over the last year. To try and capture what you want (breakpoint trend analysis) is not that easy and is something that they likely do at Stanford, a few might do for amusement or a class project, but I've not see it done by the teams or at main stat sites.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited November 2007
    I remember being first or second....

when the team was spanking new and there were only five of us!
    edited November 2007
    Heh, it actually came up yesterday and I don't remember how I got involved in team 93 ;) I'm sure the details are probably in the ancient icrontic forum posts that don't exist anymore.
    Though now I'm just quite happily, loyally, blindly folding forward :P
  • QeldromaQeldroma Arid ZoneAh Member
    edited November 2007
    Leonardo wrote:
    I remember being first or second....

when the team was spanking new ....

Why is it that I sense Leo is having a sudden onset of nostalgia?
  • SPIKE09SPIKE09 Scatland
    edited November 2007
    Noticed that earlier the SMP has been good to Leo :bigggrin:
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited November 2007
    Why is it that I sense Leo is having a sudden onset of nostalgia?
    Reign of Terror has returned. :eek::eek::eek:

I installed SMP within a few days of its launch and haven't looked back. I also waited for Q6600 to age a bit so prices would fall, which they did. I've been sourcing RAM now for months, and planning upgrade moves. When the planets of used parts, promotional sales (Abit is back!), and a pay raise aligned, I struck! I had planned on upgrading all my Pentium D systems to quads. Didn't go that far - my wife is the family accountant.

ADDED: Oh yeah, I should mention that overclocking and Affinity Changer are also huge boosts. There is a direct relationship between CPU frequency and SMP production. The generous L3 cache on the Q6600s is potent for Folding.