Looking for alternate Asus download site...

DogSoldierDogSoldier The heart of radical Amish country..
edited March 2008 in Science & Tech
I've been trying to download a new bios for the P5B deluxe and the Asus download site keeps timing out. Does anyone know of an alternate site I can download Asus BIOS's?

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited December 2007
    Do you have any ftp software? I find the best luck going straight to ftp.asus.com using FTP software, instead of through HTTP.
    edited December 2007
    The latest one I saw on the FTP is e3148 dated 04/25/2007. If that's the one you're looking for, I'll host it up here on IC for you. Just let me know.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited December 2007
    That version is ancient. I'll post the newest one (October) when I get home.
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited December 2007
    Pm sent with alternate download :)
  • DogSoldierDogSoldier The heart of radical Amish country..
    edited December 2007
    Thx guys.. I appreciate it. I was finally able to download a few files from Asus, I have 1221, 1223 and 1226. I'm going to go ahead and install 1226.. that is, unless someone tells me this will blow up my computer?!

Apropo nothing, why is the Icrontic logo missing?
    edited December 2007
    1226 is sound.
    edited December 2007
    The "About Icrontic" forum :p
    edited December 2007
    Ok, what a ^%#&^ nightmare... I updated the Bios and the computer wouldn't post. This happened before, but unlike last time, I didn't have an extra stick of DDR2 lying around to plug in and up the Ram voltage. And here I thought Asus - after 9 months and 6 Bios revisions - would have fixed the problem of Ram default voltages. Anyways, I got a stick of 512 for a very reasonable $30, got home, plugged it in, posted to BIOS (Yay!!!) and upped the Ram voltage to the 2.10 that my Mushkin will work at. I then swapped the Mushkin back in and I was up and running! For about 10 minutes. I was getting a lot of freezes and blue screens. I took a close look at the BIOS and for some reason, it had changed my CPU/Ram timings; like changing to a 9 divider rather than the 8. I was able to get it relatively stable at 385 FSB (Rather than the 390 I had been running it at) but it took about 30-40 swaps of the RAM in and out before it would take. I thought for sure I had fried the Ram - and so I ordered some new stuff, the same model of Ram to replace it - but after getting things running again, it's gone through a few iterations of MemTest with no errors. This new Bios version is very touchy.. any deviation in what works and it won't post and I begin the DDR2 swap dance again.. It's all very frustrating. Before the update, I would have to get under the desk, pull the power cord for a few seconds and then plug it back in, otherwise the computer would freeze during bootup. So I updated the Bios in hopes that Asus would have resolved that little issue. No such luck. Aight.. I'm done venting.
    edited December 2007
    I've had the exact <i>opposite</i> experience with the new P5B BIOS. It was instrumental in getting me stable at 7*500 w/ 2GB of RAM (4GB is another story).
    edited December 2007
    My computer had been running unreasonably stable at 385 Mhz FSB, but today it reverted to a 9 multiplier again - Yes, my motherboard is haunted. I'm weary of doing the DDR2 swap dance (That, and the powerplug pull.. wait.. plugin tango) so I figure it's time to find a replacement. Seems to be lots of negative comments about Asus floating about.. The Icrontic Marketing Guru posted something cool, a Top 10 list of hardware and I have to say, the Abit IP35 Pro looks good for a replacement. Any comments?
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited December 2007
    Regarding Abit IP35 Pro. Just put a system together with it (fairly budget system, went with an e4xxx CPU and an 8600GT).

Posted the first time....running at DDR2-800 all defaults, no issues so far. Haven't had a chance to overclock it yet.

The board seems to do well with clocking memory though.. Tony puts some memory through its paces here with it: http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32363
    edited December 2007
    Thx RyderOCZ... I'll be reading more reviews and will give it a bit more thought.. It does look like a stellar replacement.
    edited December 2007
    Might I suggest, also, the DFI BloodIron and (when it comes out) the DFI DK P35-T2R/S.
    edited March 2008
    I got a nice surprise the other day.. First, let's backtrack a bit.. I took Thrax's advice and got the Blood Iron, and the experience has been just this side of heaven... I have nothing but good things to say about this DFI motherboard. Anyways, I had broken a couple of RAM retention clips on the old P5B Deluxe and so, the retailer - NCIX, would not replace it. They recommended I RMA it back to Asus. So I sent it back about 2 months ago and forgot about it. The other day I received a brand new P5B Deluxe Wi-Fi! Thank you Asus! It was unexpected because they don't normally replace hardware you yourself damage physically. I wonder if my email address had anything to do with that.