New build, psu advice!

NightwolfNightwolf Afghanistan Member
edited December 2007 in Hardware
I'm in the process of getting the plans for my next build. Its a simple core2duo system with an 8800GT.

What PSU would be good to power this beast?

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited December 2007
    HiPer Type-R series
    Corsair
    Thermaltake ToughPower
    OCZ
  • NightwolfNightwolf Afghanistan Member
    edited December 2007
    What kind of a wattage range should I be looking for?
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited December 2007
    If you won't be overclocking or running SLI/Crossfire, you could get by just fine starting at 430W. If you don't know what kind of upgrades you might want in the future or new builds in which the PSU might land, then I'd be thinking about 550 to 720W range. A quality 550 will run an overclocked system with dual video cards without problem, as long as the quality is good. Thrax pointed out some very good quality brands.
  • NightwolfNightwolf Afghanistan Member
    edited December 2007
    The OCZ gameXstream 600w looks like a winner!
  • TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited December 2007
    Unless the Hipers are different in the US compared to Europe, they should be avoided.
  • ThelemechThelemech Victoria Icrontian
    edited December 2007
    I am looking at this one myself(wondering if it would be overkill for a Quad 6600, as I have noticed you mention 450 in several posts Leonardo?=though I do plan to overclock at least by 1 GHz) =Thermaltake Toughpower 750 W (W0116RU) Power Supply
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited December 2007
    Unless the Hipers are different in the US compared to Europe, they should be avoided.

They must be, as my HiPer PSU has produced some of the most amazingly reliable and consistent voltages I've ever had from a PSU. I've been running my system on the edge for over a year now, and I don't think this PSU's 12v rails have ever budged from 12.14v.