Which firmware?

botheredbothered Manchester UK
edited December 2007 in Science & Tech
Hi All,
I'd like to upgrade the firmware on my Linksys WRT54G. V1.1. What I need is to increase the output power. There seems to be a few 3rd party options but has anybody any experience/recommendations on these?
Thanks.

Comments

• kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited December 2007
    I used to use DD-WRT. However I've recently (well a year or so ago now) switched to Tomato it's been more stable, has less overhead and just runs better then DD-WRT ever has. The only reason you'd need DD-WRT is if you want more VPN options or some SIP features. However if all you need are full featured standard features Tomato is better.

The biggest improvement I've noted with Tomato over DD-WRT is the QoS is better, more options, works like you think it would and well it just works. I always found the QoS on DD-WRT to be flaky as hell.
  • DJ_EvergreenDJ_Evergreen MB, Canada Member
    edited December 2007
    Hey, thanks for mentioning Tomato. I just researched it and switched. I was using another firmware (I believe it was HyperWRT, can't remember) and I couldn't get my wireless to work at all with it so I went back to the original firmware.

So far this firmware works great. Awesome find!
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited December 2007
    I used DD-WRT with a WRT-350N, and it wasn't as good as the stock firmware, to me. Had a lot of issues, kind of unstable, almost bricked my router a couple times. Next purchase is a WRT-54GL likely, and I'll look into Tomato soon, thanks to you guys.