Problem - Please help!

NightwolfNightwolf Afghanistan Member
edited January 2008 in Hardware
I got an early Christmas present today. An Acer 19" monitor. I hooked it up with the DVI cable and started the pc up, I got all the way to my desktop and then my the monitor just wen to no signal. I tried started the pc again and it said I needed to reset my "overclocking features", so I did. It didn't work and I got another NO signal. I switched to the VGA cable and started it again, it again went to my desktop and got me all the way to facebook before it went to no signal. I tried starting the pc but it isn't doing anything. I hooked up my old monitor and tried starting the pc but the monitor still isn't getting a signal.

Could my CMOS battery be dead? What would cause this?

Comments

• NightwolfNightwolf Afghanistan Member
    edited December 2007
    I checked the seating of my video card and made sure the cables were secure. Still nothing.
    edited December 2007
    I think I've narrowed the problem down to the video card. When I power on the PC the chipset fan starts running and so does the CPU fan, also my WiFi card gets power. I have no other pc's in the house with a pci-e slot so I can't test the video card.

Does this sound like a reasonable conclusion?
  • Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
    edited December 2007
    Well, do you have a PCI video card? You need to make sure that pci:init is completing. That's why I keep an old 3dFX Voodoo 3 lying around.
    edited December 2007
    I do not.
  • EssoEsso Stockholm, Sweden
    edited December 2007
    Try CMOS reset.

If that doesn't fix it, remove one memory stick.
    When my DFI fails booting, it does it for me :)
    edited December 2007
    I tried that, I even left the battery out of 10 minutes. I'll try using only one stick of memory, I've never had problems like this before and thinks is video relating seeing as it just happens now that I have a new monitor.
    edited December 2007
    Well when I first put an LCD on my 1900 I got Christmas static (Red and green static on certain images) which I attributed to the monitor. I came to find out it was my video card not liking LCD's that didn't use both digital and analog. I sold a 490 dollar LCD for 60 bucks. I regret it every day of my life.
    edited December 2007
    I have a gigabyte 6600. I'm not sure thats the problem but maybe the video card died!
    edited December 2007
    If anyone else could chime in and thinks the video card could be the problem I'll go ahead and buy a new one. That 6600 isn't powerful enough to play any new games anyway.
  • QeldromaQeldroma Arid ZoneAh Member
    edited December 2007
    A PSU problem? Got a spare you can try?
    edited December 2007
    Qeldroma wrote:
    A PSU problem? Got a spare you can try?

I believe I do have a spare! All my fans and peripherals (wireless card) are getting power though!
  • HarudathHarudath Great Britain Icrontian
    edited December 2007
    This may be silly... But have you tried pressing the power button on the monitor repeatedly for a while? I had the same kinda thing and that worked ¬_¬ It's worked for two other people by my reccomendation, so may as well try it :P Don't ask me how it works though, I haven't the foggiest
    edited December 2007
    I think I found someone I can try the video card out on.

One question though. If the motherboard was bad would the chipset/cpu fan run and would my peripherals receive power?
    edited December 2007
    More questions...

My CPU fan seems to be running really fast. If my CMOS battery was dead would the PC still try and power on/could that cause my monitor not getting a signal. It kept telling me to reset my 'overclocking' features.
    edited December 2007
    Then you need to drop your overclock and clear your ESCD.
    edited December 2007
    Tried another CMOS batter, to no avail.
    edited December 2007
    Then you need to drop your overclock and clear your ESCD.

I cannot, I reset the bios when I was getting a signal to my monitor. I got as far as my desktop and then the monitor lost signal. I'm not getting a signal to any monitor I try.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited December 2007
    I'm not getting a signal to any monitor I try.
    So you're saying you can't even use the monitor you had before with the same video card?
    edited December 2007
    Leonardo wrote:
    So you're saying you can't even use the monitor you had before with the same video card?

Exactomundo.
    edited December 2007
    You may have shorted out that socket on the card. That's why YAD always carries a few uselessly old but working PCI video cards.
    edited December 2007
    Well, I think I'll be checking it tomorrow. I'll post my findings!
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited December 2007
    Well then, the first suspicion now is that the card has gone bad. Is there another computer you can try the card in? That's the logical next troubleshooting step.

YAD has a good point. Also, video cards are susceptible too static shock. I killed a video card by walking across a carpet, building a charge, and discharging it with the card when I touched the computer case.
  • HarudathHarudath Great Britain Icrontian
    edited December 2007
    Is your primary display adapter set to PCI? If that's not it, I agree with YAD
    edited December 2007
    Leonardo wrote:
    Well then, the first suspicion now is that the card has gone bad. Is there another computer you can try the card in? That's the logical next troubleshooting step.

YAD has a good point. Also, video cards are susceptible too static shock. I killed a video card by walking across a carpet, building a charge, and discharging it with the card when I touched the computer case.

I think I found a friend of my mom's that has a PCI-e x16 slot. So I'll probably be going over there sometime today to try it out.
    edited December 2007
    Video card is fine Motherboard or psu?
    edited December 2007
    CD drive isn't getting power, nor does it sound or feel like my hard drive is getting power.
    edited December 2007
    Well I don't see why the PSU would kick after plugging a monitor in..DVI takes less power to run than VGA.
    edited December 2007
    So, I think we can narrow it down to the mobo! If so I'm gonna order one tonight.
    edited December 2007
    You don't have a power supply tester?
    edited December 2007
    I do not!