Modem to modem connection?

WuGgaRoOWuGgaRoO Not in the shower Icrontian
edited December 2007 in Science & Tech
hey guys,

I was wondering if this set up is possible and what i need

Comp 1) With RJ 11 (56k modem)
connected to...
Comp 2) With RJ 11 and wireless internet

now, is is possible for comp 1 to "dial into" comp 2 and utilize its internet connection? Is there some software (i googled this and only saw an answer for linux and nothing for XP.)

THANKS!

Comments

• Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
    edited December 2007
    I don't think it's possible, but I never tried. The Dialup adapter has to have a phone number assigned to it. And why would you want to network with 57600baud? That's LESS than 10K/S(With TCP stack overhead included)! why not just yank out the DU card and put in some good ol' fashioned NIC?

EDIT://And now that I think about it, it'd also have to have a dial tone, and the other Dialup adapter would have to be set in listen mode, and have the right phone number assigned to it and all that jive. You'd probably have to build a PBX box just as an intermediary.
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited December 2007
    It can be done pretty easily as long as you just want one connection. I've seen it done. It makes it pretty nice so that you can get internet in remote locations.

I think xp might have a wizard to do it actually.
  • WuGgaRoOWuGgaRoO Not in the shower Icrontian
    edited December 2007
    this is for my dream cast...which is limited to 56k... (unless i buy a $200 broadband adapter which isn't as compatible as the 56k modem and...its 200 DOLLARS!!)

but if anyone can figure out a way to finagle it on winxp, please tell me here!

thanks!