Browse network folders using an admin account

CaffeineMeCaffeineMe Cedar Rapids, IA
edited December 2007 in Science & Tech
Greetings Programs!

Work just rolled out IE7 under XP SP 2. Yay. :mad:

I have a need to browse network files/folders using a network admin account. In the past, I would launch IE6 using "Run As", enter my network admin credentials, and be off and running, browsing network folders under my admin account.

However, it would appear that IE7 has taken that away. I can still "Run As" to launch IE7 as my admin, but when I enter a UNC path to browse network folders, I get a new window opening under my day to day account.

Does anyone know of an elegant solution to take me back to how it used to be? Going back to IE6 is not an option, and mapping a drive to the needed path every time is not practical (this is a process I can sometimes do 20-30 times a day). Thanks for the input everyone!

Bill

Comments

• airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited December 2007
    you could just launch explorer as the admin, that is if IE7 doesn't replace the built in explorer. I really don't have much experience with IE7 because I really don't care for it to tell the truth.

Try a run>"explorer.exe" and tell me what you get.

Why not just map it? you could "net use" it and then use the persistent flag. or if you do it with the GUI you could set it to reconnect at login. Not really that hard.
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited December 2007
    Dang. My father experienced this same exact problem when his company migrated to IE7 and I can't for the life of me remember the solution. I'll try to remember to ask him next time we talk...
  • CaffeineMeCaffeineMe Cedar Rapids, IA
    edited December 2007
    Solution found!!

Create a .bat file using the below command:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\runas.exe /u:{DOMAINNAME}\{ADMIN ACCT NAME} "explorer /separate"

Double click on the batch file, a DOS window will open. Enter your admin password, and a new window will open under your Admin account. Browse away!

:cool2:
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited December 2007
    or even set that to execute on login or either in the startup folder.

Just a thought to make things possibly easier.