Should I buy this CPU

saltydog806saltydog806 Bowie MD
edited December 2007 in Hardware
I found the following used CPU's for sale. I need to know if they are a good buy and which is the better CPU for overclocking.:confused::confused::confused:

Core 2 Duo E6600 $170 has is being overclocked at 3.2ghz w/ 1.375v
Core 2 Duo E6700 $190 never overclocked

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited December 2007
    Can't say without knowing the steppings.
  • saltydog806saltydog806 Bowie MD
    edited December 2007
    Thrax wrote:
    Can't say without knowing the steppings.

Thanks Thrax but what is (are) the steppings?:respect:
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited December 2007
    What do you mean by 1 has been overclocked and the other has not? Neither of what you linked to has been overclocked, they are brand new, or is this about those 2 models for sale on a forum?
    edited December 2007
    RyderOCZ wrote:
    What do you mean by 1 has been overclocked and the other has not? Neither of what you linked to has been overclocked, they are brand new, or is this about those 2 models for sale on a forum?

They are for sale on a forum. The links are just for general info.
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited December 2007
    Gotcha... see if they will give you the numbers off the top of the CPU if you really want to know.

Either will do fine, I am sure.
  • TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited December 2007
    I would say it is a bad buy since you can get quad for nearly 200 dollars now. + the Yorkfields is around the corner, bringing the prices down even futher. I think this is the reason we will see a lot of 6600 and 6700 for sale now. I would not buy these cpu's right now.
  • ThelemechThelemech Victoria Icrontian
    edited December 2007
    I would say it is a bad buy since you can get quad for nearly 200 dollars now. + the Yorkfields is around the corner, bringing the prices down even futher. I think this is the reason we will see a lot of 6600 and 6700 for sale now. I would not buy these cpu's right now.

I would have to agree. Why not get a new Quad 6600; I believe they are going for around 250$ or less at the moment.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited December 2007
    I didn't search very long - only at large, reputable sites, but the least expensive Q6600 was $259.99. That was an OEM chip and the price was before shipping.
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited December 2007
    The prices should be comming down though shouldn't they? That's why I'm holding off on my computer purchase
  • drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian
    edited December 2007
    Leonardo wrote:
    I didn't search very long - only at large, reputable sites, but the least expensive Q6600 was $259.99. That was an OEM chip and the price was before shipping.
    My local Frys had a Black Friday special featuring a Q6600 and a crappy ECS board combo for $200. I was tempted, but I already had mine and everyone else in town was camping the Frys.

-drasnor :fold:
  • TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited December 2007
    And seing as Salty is a folder, a Quad is a whole lot of more cpu than a 6600/6700.
    edited December 2007
    And seing as Salty is a folder, a Quad is a whole lot of more cpu than a 6600/6700.

:beer:WUFF :beer:
    edited December 2007
    I found the following used CPU's for sale. I need to know if they are a good buy and which is the better CPU for overclocking.:confused::confused::confused:

Core 2 Duo E6600 $170 has is being overclocked at 3.2ghz w/ 1.375v
    Core 2 Duo E6700 $190 never overclocked

Thanks in advance.

Thanks for all the help. I do believe I will forgo the CPU at this time and consentrate on the selection and purchase of my MOBO. I will probably end up getting the Gigabyte GA-X38-DQ6 as soon as I can find some $$$, though I am open to suggestions. Does anyone know if MOBO price drops are in the near future?
    :respect::respect::respect:

http://www.gigabyte.us/Products/Motherboard/Products_Spec.aspx?ProductID=2599
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited December 2007
    No mobo price drops for a while. No new chipsets are on the horizon until 2009.