Blue screen of death during xp install!

edited February 2008 in Hardware
I'm new to this site so please bear with me!

I'm working on my brother-in-laws computer that crashed. He said it worked fine the night before, went to bed and in the moring the computer was turned off. When turing it on, it would go to the windows startup screen and then shut down and restart, and just keeps looping it's self.

I brought the computer home last night and formated the harddrive with windows xp. It took the format, copied some files over and then rebooted. During the windows xp startup screen with the little blue bar going left to right, the BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH would pop up and stop. Rebooting results in the same screen.

Process of elimanation, I formated the harddrive with windows 98 FDISK and it worked just fine. I installed windows 98 with no problem and the computer works great! Then I tried to upgrade it to windows xp and the same thing happend with the blue screen of death!

Then I did a long format with windows xp one more time with the same results. The message on the blue screen reads:

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

driver_irql_not_less_or_equal

If this is the first time....

Check to make sure....

If problems continue, ....

Technical information:

*** STOP: 0x000000D1 (0x00000000, 0x00000005, 0x00000001, 0xF848F462)

*** atap1.sys - Address f848f462 base at f848f000, Datestamp 3b7d83e5

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks, :0)

Comments

• SonorousSonorous F@H Fanatic US Icrontian
    edited January 2008
    Taking a peek around the interwebs googling "driver_irql_not_less_or_equal xp install" I'm seeing some stuff to the effect of there being too many PCI devices that are using using IRQ. I would try removing all unnecessary hardware (esp PCI devices) and then do an install.
  • edited January 2008
    Thanks for the reply!

I removed the 1 PCI card (modem) and 1 AGP card (video) from the motherboard. Those were the only things plugged into the motherboard and still the same error :(.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks for your time!
    edited January 2008
    If you could give us a detailed list of what is in this computer that would be an extreme help.
  • edited January 2008
    The computer is a Celeron D340, 512 MB RAM PC3200, 80 GB Western Digital HD, and a DVD Player. Nothing else on this computer.

Also, remember that windows 98 loaded perfectly and everything worked great!

Thanks!
  • edited January 2008
    I called my brother-in-law and found out that the only thing that changed on the computer was that his son got an MP3 player for Christmas and he connected it to the computer a few days ago.

So it seams that everthing was good until his son connected the MP3 player to the computer or it was just bad timing.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited January 2008
    Probably bad timing.

This error is usually a result of the computer's memory going bad. Please have him test it with this: http://icrontic.com/articles/diagnose_with_memtest86

If you don't know how to burn an iso, this can teach you freely: http://icrontic.com/articles/burn_iso_disc_image_free
  • edited January 2008
    Memtest86 is currently running and so far it has 1 pass 0 errors. I don't know how long this test will take, but if windows 98 installed and ran perferct, then why would XP have issues?

Thanks!
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited January 2008
    Looks like your RAM is good. Excellent!

Do you know of any BIOS updates for your PC?
  • edited January 2008
    I'm looking to see how to flash the bios. The motherboard is made by Mach Speed and it's a Matrix PM9MS Socket 478. I looked on their webpage and when you click on bios update, it takes you to a page of files, but doesn't tell you which one to use. Also, the files listed have old dates. The most current was 2006. Hummm!
    edited January 2008
    i was trying to find info on that atap1.sys but no luck so far.
  • edited January 2008
    I'm still trying to get a hold of the company for the motherboard.

Thanks.
  • Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
    edited January 2008
    Again with Driver IRQL. Ok, what causes this is when a driver comes back with an IRQL that is not equal to, or lower than the one it's supposed to have. It means you have a device that is failing, or a driver that has failed. This can be anything from a video card, to a sound card. since the ATAPI system caused that bluescreen, it would appear that the board is failing or you have the wrong driver. Since it's a windows install it's using what I call a blank driver. Just enough there to start the device, and just enough to close the device.

In short, I think the board is dying, small wonder as it's an old board.
  • edited January 2008
    If the motherboard is dying....then how can a complete windows 98 install and operate perfectly? I even loaded office 2000 with no problem, all the applications loaded, opened, and ran just fine. Hummmmm.
    edited January 2008
    Because XP has it's own ATAPI drivers, 2000 uses blank op codes.
  • edited January 2008
    The error message reads: atapi.sys not atap1.sys

Sorry!
    edited January 2008
    Try using a different CD drive to install XP from.
  • edited January 2008
    I tried a new harddrive and a new CD ROM drive with the same results.
    edited January 2008
    Then it's your board like I said earlier.
  • edited January 2008
    Still trying to get a hold of the manufacture...I sent an e-mail yesterday due to my hours at work and not being able to call during normal hours and they sent a reply for me to call them. I go in late tomorrow so I will give them a call in the am. Thanks!
  • edited January 2008
    I got a hold of the manufacture and went through a bunch of tests and checking all the settings and they say that the motherboard seems to be working just fine, but couldn't shed any light on the other problems.
  • edited January 2008
    I got a hold of the manufacture and we went through lots of different settings, lots of trying this and that. We reset the motherboard/bios and the manufacture says that the board seems to be working fine by everything we tried thus far.

The manufacture seemed stumped when I told him that windows 98 and office 2000 loads perfectly and that I'm having the BSOD with XP.
    edited January 2008
    And he should have said "Hmm. And it's this happening? You might wanna send it in." But then again, not everyone is smart.

I guess you're gonna be stuck with my favorite OS if you don't feel like doing the work yourself.

Edit://Is the disk damaged any, and is it a retail or OEM copy?
  • edited January 2008
    I have two different disks, one original and one OEM and they both do the same thing at the same time.

Anyways, thanks for your assistance! I'm going to have to take it in and how someone look at it.

Thanks!
  • edited February 2008
    I have two different disks, one original and one OEM and they both do the same thing at the same time.

Anyways, thanks for your assistance! I'm going to have to take it in and how someone look at it.

Thanks!

I'm having the same problem loading XP Pro on a Dell Dimension. Did you ever find a solution?

Just like you, Win98 loads/runs fine. But I get the BSOD when trying to install XP. Figuring it had to be hardware related, I have just about rebuilt the entire computer. I've swapped out the CDROM & RAM from a good working PC, and unhooked the floppy. No peripherials installed. I even installed a new Motherboard figuring that HAD to solve the problem, but NOOOOOO. sheesh

I can't wait to hear if you found a solution!?