Dead RAM, need some new stuff!

SonorousSonorous F@H Fanatic US Icrontian
edited January 2008 in Hardware
:mean: So I had 2 gigs worth of corsiar dominator 1066 ram die on my last night. Not sure if it's my fault or just crap ram. Anywho, I was wondering what you guys would recommend for ram. I got this corsair stuff to do 450fsb with only a .1 increase in voltage (2.3v compared to stock 2.2v). So I would like to find something that would preform the same, if not better for about the same price.

Comments

• SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited January 2008
    I had some OCZ Platinum Rev. 2 that did 450 at 2.1, and Ballistix or anything with Micron chips OC very well.
  • NiGHTSNiGHTS San Diego Icrontian
    edited January 2008
    Thrax and I stumbled upon this last night. My apologies if this is a terrible piece of advice, I'm still trying to wrap my head around how RAM frequencies and speeds work. He recommended it for a friend of mine who will be overclocking his E6550, though, so... :confused:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231145

4 Gigs for $115 :)
    edited January 2008
    If you're looking to go to 8 gigs, that's a great deal. If you're looking to max at four, though, there are 4x1 gig kits that are better values and better RAM. Depends how you want to move forward in the future.
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited January 2008
    Speaking from experience, two sticks are the better route to take when overclocking (on both Intel and AMD platforms). You'll have far fewer headaches. If overclocking is of little importance to you, the four stick route is also a good cost-effective option.

I'll second the Ballistix recommendation above--great overclocking kits for the dollar.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited January 2008
    If you're on a P35 chipset, 4GB is no more or less difficult to OC than 2GB. If you're on a P965, I suggest you stick to 2GB.
    edited January 2008
    Lemon, is that true? Any reasons as to why?
  • SonorousSonorous F@H Fanatic US Icrontian
    edited January 2008
    I am on an Asus p5k-deluxe, and I think I might try to get the same RAM at compusa again. With the dropping prices I can get it for the same price as online, or in a couple weeks, even lower. In the meantime I am just going to RMA these sticks and see what happens.