Fan control?

botheredbothered Manchester UK
edited January 2008 in Hardware
Hi all,
I have built my Father a PC using some of my older hardware, NF7s, AMD3500+ etc. Problem is the CPU fan is loud and I'd like to control its speed. The stock heatsink and fan that came with the CPU is quite large and works well, but the fan is always going full speed. Will the Abiteq utility control the speed or is there any other software that'll do the job?
My Father will only be using the net, playing some music etc, he won't be stressing the PC much.
Thanks all.

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited January 2008
    I think it <i>might</i> be able to control the fan speed if it's plugged into the motherboard, but I am not positive.
  • botheredbothered Manchester UK
    edited January 2008
    Well that’s encouraging. I can’t find any info about it. Most sites say it monitors fan speed but one said it monitors and controls fan speed. If Thrax says it might then it’s worth a look. I have it downloaded so I may just install it and see. Are there any other progs that will/might do it?
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited January 2008
    I'm pretty sure fan speed control is unique to the program that ships with or is offered by the makers of the board. There are so many different chips out there to control voltage to fan headers that it would be hard to make a one size fits all program, I think.
  • botheredbothered Manchester UK
    edited January 2008
    Thanks for the advice Thrax. Shorty is nipping to Micro Direct this morning and has offered to pick me up a quieter heatsink and fan. His suggestion, and a much better one I think than my software approach.
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited January 2008
    New heatsink and fan delivered :D
  • edited January 2008
    What did you end up getting for bothered, Shorty?