Console making loud noise

edited February 2008 in Folding@Home
As the post title says, my console running is making my computer run really loud. I have 2 computers that are folding and only 1 makes the noise. I checked the settings adn they are the same on each comp. Any idea why this noise is being made? When I pause folding it does not make the noise. It doesn't really slow things down (minimally maybe), but its loud enough that it is quite annoying. Thanks for hte help guys

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited February 2008
    Is it a fan noise? The fan might speed up to compensate for the increased temperatures. If that's the case, you may need a better heatsink.
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited February 2008
    What are the two systems? Did you build them yourselves or is one/ both, say a Dell?
  • QeldromaQeldroma Arid ZoneAh Member
    edited February 2008
    Also, please give us an idea as to the kind of sound it's making-

Ex.
    If it is squealing- it's likely a failing fan.
    If it is grinding- it's likely your hard drive.

et al.
  • edited February 2008
    I would describe it as more of a grinding noise I suppose. Definately is not a squealing noise. The computer that's making the noise is a EMachines (the good running one is a Compaq laptop). This EMachines is sort of a family computer so there is an awful lot on it. I deleted quite a bit, but Disk Defrag says I have 48% free space (I was down to 8% at one point). COme to think of it, the noise is like the noise the computer makes when I Defrag it. It does appear that things are folding just fine though and presumably at a good pace (this computer is idle 80% of the day). SOrry about taking so long to get back...i appreciate the help.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited February 2008
    I'm almost positive it's a fan. Either a chipset fan or a fan inside of the PSU or the case. Have you taken the side off and actually looked inside the computer yet? That'll probably tell you everything.
  • QeldromaQeldroma Arid ZoneAh Member
    edited February 2008
    I would take no chances with this. If you have any important data on that drive, back it up immediately on another media like a USB jump drive.

At the price of hard drives these days, there is little excuse not to be able to go get one (likely bigger and better) and install or clone it into your system. 7200 rpm drives (I prefer WD Caviars, but many brands are good) can be very quiet so you should notice a big change. (PS- Raptors make a racket)

However, your problem may still be a fan that has all but bought it. This is really a pretty easy check. Just open your cabinet and listen closely. Sometimes I use a cloth to brake (as in stop/slow) it- the noise will stop immediately if it is guilty.

Hope that helps.
    edited February 2008
    EMachines (along with many other vendors) use crappy case fans. They are "sleeve" based instead of ball bearing fans. I see 10 or so fans a year that are locked up or screeching.

I would recommend taking the side off the computer. Try turning the fans on the CPU, case fan, and if there is a fan on the video card. They should spin freely. If they it's stiff, it's bad. Start there. The Power supply probably has a fan but it's inside the unit.

If you're not sure about a fan, turn the system on and watch one fan at a time start. Keep on turning the system on and off (never let it go into Windows) watching another fan. Many times a dying fan with start slowly and look wobbly.

Report back and we can help with the next step (whatever it is). :D
  • edited February 2008
    I'll have my brother check out my fans when I see him next (tomorrow hopefully). I have two fans in my computer (I installed an extra one because the 1st wasn't overly effective). I know where I keep my computer is a a dust magnet and I've been trying to take steps towards improving the way the computer faces to help that. Anyways, I'll report back once he checks the fan out for me. He'll know more about it than I would. Thanks for hte help
  • edited February 2008
    I cleaned out my insides and fans with air. The computer is noticeably quieter. Both fans appear to be rolling just fine. When my computer is folding it is a bit louder than otherwise still though. Maybe this is normal and I just don't notice it on my other computer because it is a newer (presumably better) and quieter machine. I am glad you had me clean out the insides though...it was getting rough in there.
    edited February 2008
    Every PC is different when it comes to cooling and noise. I'm glad it's better though. :thumbsup:
  • edited February 2008
    Thanks guys...I know now that I need to keep up better with the fans and what not. I can happily fold my days away now! lol