Crysis

FelixDeSouzeFelixDeSouze UK New
edited March 2008 in Gaming
Hey guys/gals,

Thought I would make a post about the game, I got bored of my old wallpaper so just searched for 'Game Wallpaper' on google images and found a good Crysis one and used it.

pc_crysis_kansi_pegi.jpg

I then seen someone in IRC say they were about to play it so I looked into it. Went and downloaded it and just installed it. BlackHawk informed me that it is a HARSH game for most computers!

He told me about a benchmark that comes with the game (located - C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\Crytek\Crysis\Bin32), so I decided to do it.

My PC specs are...

(CPU2) Intel® Pentium® D CPU 3.40GHz @ 3391MHz
(Dell Inc. 0HJ054 mainboard)
(RAM) 3GB, 2.34GB free
(HDDs) 801GB, 287GB free
(VGA1) NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GS PCI-E(512MB), 1280x1024x16, 75Hz
(OS) Microsoft Windows XP Professional (SP2)

And my results are as follows:

BenchMark_CPU2.bat -
benchmark_cpu2.jpg

BenchMark_CPU.bat -
benchmark_cpu.jpg

BenchMark_GPU.bat -
benchmark_gpu.jpg

Gonna play it sometime tonight and will post some pics and a lil review :)

Let me know what yyou guys think of the game (when you have played it ofcourse)

Peace

Comments

• NiGHTSNiGHTS San Diego Icrontian
    edited February 2008
    It isn't as open ended as they'd like you to believe. There are invisible walls everywhere that prevent you from just exploring whatever you want. Despite that, there are different ways to go about reaching an objective when presented with the 400 you'll receive.

The game has it's quirks - driving a vehicle around while cloaked makes you targetless to the enemy AI. Much of the way I played the game was cloak, run, wait for recharge, cloak, run, wait for recharge, cloak, run, wait for recharge. Pretty annoying, but I preferred stealth over Rambo.

Feels like the game has 2 or 3 endings, really. The final one is all too predictable, a sequel will be coming I'm sure. That said, if you have the hardware for it, there are plenty of points in the game where you'll just stop and admire the sights and sounds.

Protip: Grab the chickens running around with super-strength enabled to toss them as high as you can for your own skeet shooting fun in game.
  • FelixDeSouzeFelixDeSouze UK New
    edited February 2008
    NiGHTS wrote:
    Protip: Grab the chickens running around with super-strength enabled to toss them as high as you can for your own skeet shooting fun in game.

I'll keep that in mind and have a go! be like in the WILD WEST! ;)
  • HarudathHarudath Great Britain Icrontian
    edited February 2008
    I played it last night, there are some walls and if you go too far out to sea you get blown up :tongue: It's still awesome fun though, and the graphics are INSANELY good. I mean riddiculously good :tongue: You may be able to play it but you'll not be able to do full settings with a 7600.
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited February 2008
    I loved Crysis. True, it's not as open-ended as they present it, but there is a lot of tactical freedom within the maps. Some of them, like the tank map, are just ginormous.

The visuals are to die for. Being a huge graphics geek, this is one of the big reasons why I loved it. I couldn't get enough of the trees that break procedurally, or watching the sun rise early in the game. Not to mention Friggin sub-surface scattering on each character! Easily raising the bar in whats possible with real-time computer graphics.
  • FelixDeSouzeFelixDeSouze UK New
    edited February 2008
    You like the graphics in this one... Check this out! GoW2..

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/27vVUFbUD4Q&rel=1&border=0"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/27vVUFbUD4Q&rel=1&border=0&quot; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent"width="425" height="355"></embed></object>
  • NiGHTSNiGHTS San Diego Icrontian
    edited February 2008
    @ Lynx,
    Yeah, following some Korean running for cover with the mounted machine gun on a HMMV is pretty fun as you watch yourself cut down the trees he's running behind.
    edited February 2008
    rofl yeah :P I downloaded a mod for the demo that adds more vehicles *including a helicopter*... Where the hell is it? :S I've been looking all over and I can't find it, anyone know?

mod: http://www.crymod.com/filebase.php?fileid=965&lim=0

EDIT: There's benchmarking tool on that website (See bottom of page) that actually runs through the game a couple times, so you can see for yourself how it looks. Pretty good tool, I got 44fps average with all settings on high :eek:
  • WinfreyWinfrey waddafuh Missouri Icrontian
    edited February 2008
    Also if you find any frogs you can toss them and they will fly endlessly in a straight line.

I also found the game moderately difficult unless you employ tactics like the ones NiGHTS talks about or to just snipe everyone when you get the sniper scope. There was a couple of bases that I cleared out without raising alarm or firing a shot.

Memorable moment was when I ran into a base with two guys surprised to see me so I grabbed one and capped his buddy only to have a third walk out of the outhouse. He was rather surprised when I chucked the guy I still had a hold of into his lap :cool:

BTW: the main character is a member of icrontic, though he may deny it!
    edited February 2008
    Haha :P My greatest moment is bailing out of a jeep at top speed, letting it hit the building with people in it then shooting the oil tank at the back- BOOM :D I could have possibly had a slight chance of perhaps raising a small amount of attention, but this was more fun :D
  • mas0nmas0n howdy Icrontian
    edited March 2008
    My only Crysis complaint is that at 1680 x 1050 and all settings on High I can't even run 2X AA without dropping below 20 fps so no AA for me :sad2: feels like an issue of not enough video memory!? Still experimenting with settings to find a happy medium...

Otherwise, this game is freaking amazing. I run the "Natural Mod v1.1" to make the colors and lighting more true to life, anybody else?
    edited March 2008
    Hmm, that's weird- mine's at 1680x1050, everything at Very high/custom and 2x AA and the lowest I ever went was 18, highest 30 and average 25 (see http://icrontic.com/forum/showthread.php?p=595827#post595827)

The game itself I don't find that good, the graphics, however, are insane, although I've been entertaining myself by seeing how many tree-heads I can cut off with helicopter blades :tongue: downloaded the funpack and got 3 helicopters, about 6 tanks (including the nuke tank) and a full armoury of weapons. PewPew :D
  • mas0nmas0n howdy Icrontian
    edited March 2008
    Harudath wrote:
    Hmm, that's weird- mine's at 1680x1050, everything at Very high/custom and 2x AA and the lowest I ever went was 18, highest 30 and average 25 (see http://icrontic.com/forum/showthread.php?p=595827#post595827)

Unless I'm missing something, that test was run @ 1280 x 1024. :confused: I will run that same test and post in that thread...
    edited March 2008
    Oh :S I got mixed up, I'm on a 1680x1050 screen but running the game at 1280x1024 >.< Sorry :tongue:

edit: G'night :P