I just re-installed xp coming from vista... i have something to say...

JengoJengo Pasco, WA | USA
edited April 2008 in Science & Tech
IT FEELS SO GOOD TO BE BACK!!!!!!!

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited March 2008
    Ironically, I am actually doing this exact very same thing RIGHT AT THIS MOMENT

:rarr:
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited March 2008
    Jengo wrote:
    IT FEELS SO GOOD TO BE BACK!!!!!!!
    I love it! That cracks me up. A whole essay in one short statement. Then Prime reinforces it immediately.
    edited March 2008
    No seriously, I am absolutely sold on this.

I was on vista for about a year

Tonight I went back to XP and I swear it feels like I got a brand new, upgraded computer. It is SO much faster and more responsive. I forgot how fast my computer was!

This is fantastic! It's as if I went up to a C2D system with a 10K Raptor or something :D

whee!

/me ^5's Jengo
  • JengoJengo Pasco, WA | USA
    edited March 2008
    No seriously, I am absolutely sold on this.

I was on vista for about a year

Tonight I went back to XP and I swear it feels like I got a brand new, upgraded computer. It is SO much faster and more responsive. I forgot how fast my computer was!

This is fantastic! It's as if I went up to a C2D system with a 10K Raptor or something :D

whee!

* primesuspect ^5's Jengo

I feel the same exact way. I was on vista home premium for about a year. But today I ran out of patience... So I threw on Windows XP and now I'm a happy camper. It feels like i got my computer back from the snail ages.

* Jengo ^5's primesuspect

:D
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited March 2008
    Windows Vista is totally fast, guys. No driver issues or bugs at all, right? Right?

....Guys?

Well, DX 10 is cool... Right?
  • RADARADA Apple Valley, CA Member
    edited March 2008
    I would love to switch Amanda's HP laptop to XP for her, but I'm very concerned that HP and MS made her laptop so damn "Vista perferred" I'll get half way through the install and it will crap out. The Lexmark printer she got free with her lappy has no drivers available other than Vista on the Lexmark site.. BS!!!

HP machines, specially lappys, are painfully difficult to load OSs on. Had to slipstream XP on my brother-in-laws HP laptop last summer. Took 3 times as long to load the OS on his HP than it did on my Dell.
  • AnnesAnnes Tripped Up by Libidos and Hubris Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited March 2008
    I have to use Vista for work...it's not as bad as I thought it would be, really. I though it would be like raking myself over hot coals for 8 hours a day.

Maybe I'm just handling it so well since I get to go back home to my lovely XP machine every night.
    edited March 2008
    Vista isn't 100% bad, its the performance issues that bug me the most.

I tried booting Amanda's Turion X64 / 1 GB memory HP Lappy (Circa 2007)against my Dell 8600 (Circa 2004) Centrino 1.6 with 1.5 GB of memory.

My computer is up and running 54 seconds to 1 minute 28 seconds faster than hers. This doesn't even factor in all the HP bloatware that has to check everything on the computer...
  • mas0nmas0n howdy Icrontian
    edited March 2008
    General usage was plenty fast for me on Vista and it actually had a few features I really liked, but in the end the 5-10% performance hit in gaming really bothered me and after spending some time reading into the details of how encryption works in Vista to protect "premium content" I went back to XP x64 after 10 months.

My Vista timeline went something like this:

:rolleyes:...........:)...:bigggrin:........ :rockon:...:wtf:.....:confused2......:mad2:
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited March 2008
    I switched to Vista exclusively for 1-2 months for an article, and my experience was something like this:

:rolleyes2...:)...:rolleyes2...:wtf:...:skeptic:...D-:...:horrified:...:mad2:...:banghead:
    edited March 2008
    That's about it for me too, mason. I liked a lot of the features in vista, but in the end, especially after seeing how ridiculously fast my computer is with XP, it's not worth the tradeoff.
    edited March 2008
    Just talked to HP tech support about loading XP on Amanda's laptop..

..They told me straight out it won't work and is not supported.:mad: And will void the remainder of her warranty for software issues.

I'm really hoping Tuesday's Vista SP1 patch will improve functionality, without causing too many headaches..
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited March 2008
    keep hoping
  • VicarVicar Icrontian
    edited March 2008
    I am enjoying the best of both worlds. using Vista and Xp atm, happy with it. No probs at the moment.:)
  • JengoJengo Pasco, WA | USA
    edited March 2008
    My biggest gripe with vista is that half of the games i love to play (a lot of them are pretty old) don't work with vista because vistas open GL support sucks hard. At Least from my experiences...

I ran vista pretty good, my current rig isn't terrible (Athlon 3800+ X2, 1gb ram, etc) but it was still snail speed compared to XP. Not only that but my bro just got a new laptop a few months ago and its getting raped by vista... his computer should be flying but instead it feels like its crawling... I don't like when i feel that way about my PC

I don't plan on installing vista again until i cant use XP anymore...

The last big factor that swayed my decision is the fact that i get about 30fps more in Counter-Strike Source using xp.
  • VicarVicar Icrontian
    edited March 2008
    I dont game on my rig, maybe thats why i have no probs.
  • halo2_godhalo2_god New York state
    edited March 2008
    Yeah lol.... I had Vista ultimate it seemed good at the start then i upgraded my page file when it was a little slow(repeating several times). Then i wanted to do a test my 5-6 yeah old Dell desktop with 256 MB ram vs. my hp laptop 3 years old 512MB ram Windows vista ultimate. Start up times so i turned them off at the same time then i waited 15 minutes to let them cool down then i held the power button on both of them for 10 seconds then they both turned on and well my desktop started up about 15 seconds faster :(
  • edited March 2008
    Is it really that Bad? lol.

I'm using a Laptop with Vista on it, and it's ok, but then again =/. it starts to get a bit buggy.(the mouse left/right click won't work lol.).
  • VicarVicar Icrontian
    edited March 2008
    Perhaps vista is the new zen thing, maybe it's to teach us about being a lesson in patience. What is 15 seconds in an os or should i say man's life.:)
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited March 2008
    RADA wrote:
    Just talked to HP tech support about loading XP on Amanda's laptop..

..They told me straight out it won't work and is not supported.:mad: And will void the remainder of her warranty for software issues.

I'm really hoping Tuesday's Vista SP1 patch will improve functionality, without causing too many headaches..

Software warranty? Forget their support in software, that's what Icrontic is for! :bigggrin:

What laptop is it? We ought to be able to find you the drivers you need.

I was able to for my supposedly unsupported Dell.
  • VicarVicar Icrontian
    edited March 2008
    Well Said.
  • maxclarkmaxclark In a hole in the ground
    edited March 2008
    I still us XP, all my friends use Vista since all new computers usually have Vista already installed...its terrible and confusing but maybe that's because im just used to XP...but at the same time they say as well that they would have preffered XP and many have "re"-installed XP...also although many of their computers have better specs than mine, i feel mine runs more smooth and faster...

my experience: :confused:

but kudos to DX 10!
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited April 2008
    I moved from XP to vista on my main rig a couple of months ago. I like the interface changes, but I must say, it really slowed my PC down. I've got a very modern PC too. I have no idea how anyone could run it on an older machine. It just feels sluggish--and this is after I tweaked and tuned it. SP1 did absolutely nothing for my 'experience' either.