TF2 problem.....(sigh)

UPSHitmanUPSHitman The Big NastyIndianapolis, Indiana Icrontian
edited April 2008 in Gaming
I have been having some problems with my PC playing TF2 this week. As most of you know I usually play TF2 all the time and never have any problems but for some reason this week when I get on to play online or any half life related game it stutters so bad it's unplayable. The weird thing is that other games like Oblivion, Flatout 2 and Civilization 4 work just fine. Its like my PC is not reading my DirectX for just this game for some reason. I just wondered if anyone has had the same problem or if anyone knows why my PC is doing this and how to fix it.

Comments

• UPSHitmanUPSHitman The Big Nasty Indianapolis, Indiana Icrontian
    edited March 2008
    It sucks, Team Fortress 2 is my favorite game.....
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited March 2008
    Just for details - other games work for Hitman just fine, online and off - so it can't be his hardware. The stuttering is audio and video both, and occurs in Episode 2 as well. We have yet to test a 3rd party mod to see if it's effected. Kingpin recommended some launch options to force openGL and DX9, and those worked, but a day later those are no longer helping.

He's running a dual core intel system with 2 gigs of ram, and a good mid to high range video card (don't remember the model). He's also running Vista. This one has had me stumped for a week now, anyone have any ideas?
  • WinfreyWinfrey waddafuh Missouri Icrontian
    edited March 2008
    I'm guessing only steam games are screwing up?
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited March 2008
    Delete them, redownload.
    edited March 2008
    FreeC8675 wrote:
    I'm guessing only steam games are screwing up?

As far as we know. Like I said, we've yet to try any 3rd party mods to see if they're effected. I keep telling him to do that :rolleyes: Nothing else seems to be effected on his PC.

And in regards to Thrax, we've done that once to fix a different issue he had months ago. We could try it again, but I was hoping to find a more simple fix before we resort to that. I've got a feeling we may end up doing that regardless.
    edited March 2008
    I think Thrax's suggestion is the usual cure-all when it comes to issues with steam games unfortunately.
  • GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    edited March 2008
    What Thrax said should fix it
  • UPSWeezerUPSWeezer Behind you... GENTLEMEN Icrontian
    edited March 2008
    Kingpin told me to tell you how to fix it, but I forgot.:confused: I meant to tell you the other day but when I was typing you signed off. Sorry.
  • UPSWeezerUPSWeezer Behind you... GENTLEMEN Icrontian
    edited March 2008
    ]UPS[ Kingpin: yeah, right click tf2 in the games list, click properties.. then click Set Launch Properties and add "-opengl" without quotes

]UPS[ Kingpin: if that doesn't work put in "-dxlevel 90" instead

There you go. I remembered.
    edited April 2008
    For those concerned - it's fixed.

We reinstalled Steam completely, just to find out that somewhere there is a corrupt file within his *email/steamapps folder. If he puts his old folder into the new installation, the problem reoccurs, but when removed, it's fixed. Must have been a bad map download, or something malicious, or who knows what.

Either way, Hitman's good to go.
  • GnomeQueenGnomeQueen The Lulz Queen Mountain Dew Mouth Icrontian
    edited April 2008
    Yay!
  • UPSHitmanUPSHitman The Big Nasty Indianapolis, Indiana Icrontian
    edited April 2008
    Thanks guys I just reinstalled and it is working fine. I had to completely uninstall steam and reinstall it. Thanks for all you help!
  • TiberiusLazarusTiberiusLazarus Icrontian
    edited April 2008
    UPS Hitman wrote:
    Thanks guys I just reinstalled and it is working fine. I had to completely uninstall steam and reinstall it. Thanks for all you help!

Glad you're back. Now we just need to get GQ back in.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited April 2008
    And winfrey :-/
  • TiberiusLazarusTiberiusLazarus Icrontian
    edited April 2008

True dat. QFT. And anything else that means that's right.
    edited April 2008
    DAS RAI
  • GnomeQueenGnomeQueen The Lulz Queen Mountain Dew Mouth Icrontian
    edited April 2008
    MY INTERNET IS BACK!

Now if I could just finish all the homework that I had due today, I could play!
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited April 2008
    UPSLynx wrote:
    For those concerned - it's fixed.

We reinstalled Steam completely, just to find out that somewhere there is a corrupt file within his *email/steamapps folder. If he puts his old folder into the new installation, the problem reoccurs, but when removed, it's fixed. Must have been a bad map download, or something malicious, or who knows what.

Either way, Hitman's good to go.

for future use if you just right clicked on the game propertys then clicked check cache integrity it would have got an error and downloaded that part that was corrupt.

And pretty much any other steam issue can be fixed by defraging your hard-drive (Valves games are very picky) or deleting "%programfiles%\steam\clientregistry.blob" file.
    edited April 2008
    not always true. I had similar problems, and did the game cache thing, and no fix. I had to do the same exact thing - COMPLETELY uninstall steam including manually deleting folders and reg entries and then reinstalling.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited April 2008
    I've also had the same issue. Scanning cache integrity has been hopeless 3 out of the 4 times I've had problems.
    edited April 2008

:bawling:D-::banghead:
  • mas0nmas0n howdy Icrontian
    edited April 2008
    FreeC8675 wrote:
    :bawling:D-::banghead:

srsly dude, we miss you.
    edited April 2008
    Yus :(
    edited April 2008
    This friday-night I should be at a friends and therefore internet. I'll work on getting my mic to work too:range: