P5N-E SLi- Change the BUS speed?

HarudathHarudath Great Britain Icrontian
edited April 2008 in Hardware
Hai guys

I'm looking to overclock this thing some more, I understand it's a cheap board but I've looked EVERYWHERE in the BIOS and I can't change the bus speed anywhere. The closest thing I found was changing the RFSB which in turn increased the bus speed. The only multiplier options I have are between 6 and 8 which is pretty crap. At the moment the bus speed is 400 and I'm looking to raise it to 450 but I can't :S Any help?

ASUS P5N-E SLI ACPI BIOS Revision 1901
Chipset: C5-MCP51
BIOS type: Award
BIOS Size: 512k

The rest of my system specs are in my signature

Comments

• RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited April 2008
    Hi Harudath,

This post: http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/showpost.php?p=211661&postcount=1 second picture down (FSB & Memory config) shows the FSB (QDR) that is the bus speed.

You have 1600 there now, if I read you right (you said 400 for bus speed) yes?

If you want 450, you need to make it read 1800, which on that board...may not happen.
  • HarudathHarudath Great Britain Icrontian
    edited April 2008
    Well, something horrible happened.

I thought "aah **** it" went into the BIOS and changed the RFSB to 1800MHz. Rebooted... IT WORKED! 25C idle and I'm running Orthos now to see if it'll keep it up. Strange, it wont boot if I change it to 1700 but it seems to like 1800...

EDIT: CPU-Z
    edited April 2008
    Ran Futuremark... Went from 13833 to 14099...

<--- Happy bunny
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited April 2008
    Harudath wrote:
    ..Strange, it wont boot if I change it to 1700 but it seems to like 1800...

Sounds like an "FSB Hole".. Some intel chips do this. Glad you got to 3.6GHz. Did it turn out stable? If so, give it more! :buck:
    edited April 2008
    It's stable but I've put everything back to stock speed... I'm currently running..
    E6750 @ 3.6
    8800GTS 512 overclocked very high
    Antec 900 with a total of 7 LED fans and a 200mm fan
    2GB of ram and other bits and bobs on... A 350W PSU and a stock HSF. I'm waiting to get my new PSU and HSF before I do any more overclocking. Gunna get myself a StealthXStreme 600W PSU and an arctic freezer 7 pro :D