DNS troubles

HarudathHarudath Great Britain Icrontian
edited April 2008 in Science & Tech
Hai guys

So I did some googling and tried to set a list of DNS servers and that totally screwed up my internet, so I tried to set them all back to 0 and it's now telling me that the value I'm editing is not between 0 and 223 even though it is and won't let me delete them.

Comments

• mas0nmas0n howdy Icrontian
    edited April 2008
    Where exactly are you trying to set DNS servers? Are you trying to change the DNS servers that your PC uses or are you trying to change the list of DNS servers that your router uses? And was there a problem to begin with?

Secondly, you cannot use "0" or "0.0.0.0" as a DNS server for more reasons than I want to go into. If you changed things on your PC and want to get online again you can change the DNS server that your PC uses to the IP address of your outer, assuming it has a good list of DNS servers, or you can add any number of known good DNS servers to your PC or router including 4.2.2.1, 4.2.2.2, 208.67.222.222, or 208.67.220.220.

IF all else fails, DHCP.
  • HarudathHarudath Great Britain Icrontian
    edited April 2008
    I was trying to change the ones the router uses. My internet is still working but it's gone to a riddiculously slow speed :S I told it to Disable a specific DNS server so it can find one automatically but I want to put it back to it's default 0.0.0.0 like it was :S
    edited April 2008
    I assign primary and secondary DNS servers manually in my router. I use either 4.2.2.1 and 4.2.2.2 OR 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220. Both sets perform better than the ones assigned by my ISP via DHCP. The first set is like, the oldest people on the internet or something, and the second set is OpenDNS.

Ok, so it's GTEI
    edited April 2008
    My PC ones are set to 4.2.2.1 and 4.2.2.2 already :S
    edited April 2008
    Harudath wrote:
    My PC ones are set to 4.2.2.1 and 4.2.2.2 already :S

If you are still having speed issues, it's something else. The only time you are waiting on DNS is if an address is not already cached and even then once you have resolved the name, DNS is done.
    edited April 2008
    But it's been slow since I put those DNS addesses into the router
    edited April 2008
    1. Set the DNS in your router to 4.2.2.1 and 4.2.2.2 or just leave them blank to aquire via DHCP. It will not let you set it to 0.0.0.0 because that is an invalid IP address.

2. Reboot router and modem

3. run "ipconfig /flushdns" in a command prompt on your PC
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited April 2008
    Many residential routers use 0.0.0.0 in place of blank.
    edited April 2008
    Thrax wrote:
    Many residential routers use 0.0.0.0 in place of blank.

Tis true, but most of them will not let you assign it to 0.0.0.0, you just leave it blank and when you apply it sets to 0.0.0.0. From his first post it sounds like his router will not let him assign it.

EDIT: And to clarify Haru, it will set it to 0.0.0.0 on the configuration page. But if you go to whatever your router calls the WAN overview page it should show you the actual DNS addresses it has been assigned.
  • JokkeJokke Bergen, Norway Icrontian
    edited April 2008
    Correct me if I'm wrong, and I probably is, but can't you just reset the router?
    edited April 2008
    Last time we did that my dad had to take it into work to put all the settings back, but thankfully I've moved on enough to be able to do it myself now so everything is ok :D