Intel X38 vs X48

saltydog806saltydog806 Bowie MD
edited May 2008 in Hardware
What is the difference between Intel's X38 and X48 chipsets and how would you rate them. :beer:

Comments

• mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited May 2008
    PCI-E 2.0 and not much else.

Overpriced and not worth it unless you've got the money to burn and want DDR3.
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited May 2008
    http://techreport.com/articles.x/14316

X48 are the X38 chips that can handle a faster memory.
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited May 2008
    If you are using DDR2...get P35 it overclocks DDR2 better than X38/48

If you go DDR3 then you want X38/48
  • saltydog806saltydog806 Bowie MD
    edited May 2008
    RyderOCZ wrote:
    If you are using DDR2...get P35 it overclocks DDR2 better than X38/48

If you go DDR3 then you want X38/48

I'm going DDR2 is there a P35 that you recommend?:)
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited May 2008
    DFI LanParty UT P35-T2R
    DFI Blood Iron P35 Infinity
    DFI DK LanParty P35
    Asus P5K Deluxe/Premium/Wifi
    Abit IP35 Pro
  • MissilemanMissileman Orlando, Florida Icrontian
    edited May 2008
    Actually I have an X38 board. It's PCI2.0 and runs DDR2-1066 RAM just fine.

Officially the difference is X38 supports up to 1333 FSB and X48 supports 1600 FSB, but a lot of X38s have 1600 FSB in the bios already. They also list the X48 as DDR3 without ECC support while X38 is DDR2 or 3 with ECC support on DDR2.

The power saving features of the X48 are supposed to be improved.

See list here: http://compare.intel.com/pcc/showchart.aspx?mmID=54987,29003&familyID=10&culture=en-US
  • McBainMcBain San Clemente, CA New
    edited May 2008
    Ryder -- On that list of p35 boards -- are they all penryn capable? Solid Caps construction?

Also, what's the major performance advantage of DDR3?

/me is out of the 'loop'
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited May 2008
    For the DFIs, they use solid caps and all P35 are Penryn-compat.

At this time, DDR3 offers nothing, just like DDR2 did. It'll come around eventually.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited May 2008
    Some of the Gigabyte P35 boards use all solid caps. I know that the GA-P35-DS4 and the EP35 variant both use all solid caps. Not sure about the P35-DS3 series. The Abit IP35 PRO has all solid caps, whereas the IP35-E has solid caps only at the ZIFF socket.
    Officially the difference is X38 supports up to 1333 FSB and X48 supports 1600 FSB, but a lot of X38s have 1600 FSB in the bios already.
    Any quality P35 board will do 1333 and 1600. It just requires manual settings in the BIOS. But then, that's for overclockers and tweakers, not for simple 'plug and play.'
  • McBainMcBain San Clemente, CA New
    edited May 2008
    Thrax wrote:
    For the DFIs, they use solid caps and all P35 are Penryn-compat.

At this time, DDR3 offers nothing, just like DDR2 did. It'll come around eventually.

I really don't feel like googling this....

but supposed advantages of DDR3 over DDR2? More than FSB? Or is that it?
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited May 2008
    Potenial Bandwidth
    edited May 2008
    All this info is great and since I am going to stay with DDR2 it looks like I will be going with the P35 chipset. However, I have run across a new Intel D975BX2 for $80.00 which will allow me to use my existing E6400 CPU and expand to the 65 nm quads. I'm thinking this would be a cheap interum upgrade untill I raise some more money.( I figure I can get a good amount of the $80 back selling it used in 6 months).Am I being "penny wise and pound foolish" or is this a good board at a good price?:confused:
    edited May 2008
    D975BX2 for $80.00
    I wouldn't pay $80 for ANY 975 chipset board. It just makes no sense when you can get a rock solid Gigabyte DS3 series P35 board for just a few dollars more.
    Am I being "penny wise and pound foolish"...?
    Yes, I couldn't have said it better. A Gigabyte DS3 will have a much better resale value in a few months than an Intel 975...unless the market you in which you sell is one of those that only recognizes brand names that are seen on TV (the technically under-informed audience...but then, they are the types who usually buy motherboards).
    edited May 2008
    Leonardo wrote:
    I wouldn't pay $80 for ANY 975 chipset board. It just makes no sense when you can get a rock solid Gigabyte DS3 series P35 board for just a few dollars more. Yes, I couldn't have said it better. A Gigabyte DS3 will have a much better resale value in a few months than an Intel 975...unless the market you in which you sell is one of those that only recognizes brand names that are seen on TV (the technically under-informed audience...but then, they are the types who usually buy motherboards).

Thanks. So would you recommend a GA-P35-DS3L LGA 775 at $90.00?:cheers: Have one on me.
    edited May 2008
    If it has all the features you want, then yes, without hesitation. $10 is nothing if you are jumping from a 975 to a P35, especially a popular, high quality board.