Random Sleep mode

HarudathHarudath Great Britain Icrontian
edited May 2008 in Hardware
Hai guys,

Right basically my PC is going into standby randomly and I can't for the life of me figure out why :S There's no cause I can think of for it, it's been happening since before I got my new PSU so I don't think it's a power problem, the CPU temps look stable and everything else is running just fine.. I have no idea what's going on >.< It took me 5 attempts to write this, although it seems to have stopped for now :S

Comments

• garfield619garfield619 Philippines New
    edited May 2008
    have you tried the right click desktop>properties>screen saver tab>lower right "power". there is the standby option there, choose never.

*gets shotgun and shoots monitor aiming at harudath's warcraft avatar*
  • HarudathHarudath Great Britain Icrontian
    edited May 2008
    That's for your screen going into standby, not the whole PC
    edited May 2008
    oh, so the power light is still lighting but the screen is black? i think i have encountered it before.
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited May 2008
    Harudath wrote:
    That's for your screen going into standby, not the whole PC

No, Gar is right: In XP you can get to all of the standby settings from the screensaver dialog.

It doesn't sound like that's your issue if it's truely happening randomly, however.

Is it a desktop which is doing this? is it the PC in your sig?
    edited May 2008
    Yeah. It's the PC in my sig.
    edited May 2008
    System Standby was already set to never anyway...
    edited May 2008
    hmmm you said that you upgraded your PSU right? maybe pushing the cable from the PSU to mobo? maybe it is just the cables XD.
    edited May 2008
    This has been happening since before I upgraded my PSU. Some days it does it, some says it doesn't. It'll go a week without doing it then I'll suddenly get standby sprees.
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited May 2008
    This may be a silly question: Do you have a key on your keyboard mapped to standby (it may look like a round button with a moon on it)?

It may be as silly as accidentally hitting that key with something resting against the side of the keyboard, or something hanging down above the keyboard tray.
    edited May 2008
    I have one, I'm not touching it by accident but I'm wondering if I got a really sensitive one, I type quickly but I press the keyboard quite hard when I do. Although I've whacked it before and nothing's happened. Since I was suspicious of this earlier I set it to ask me what to do when it gets pressed.
    edited May 2008
    how mapped? like "assigned task to button" thingie?
    edited May 2008
    Aye