Will a gaming router help

saltydog806saltydog806 Bowie MD
edited May 2008 in Gaming
I currently have an Actiontec GT704WG router that came with my DSL service from Verizon. The router is attached to my wifes MAC :mad: and I have a Zyxel G-220 V2 802.11g Wireless USB Adapter hooked up to my PC. I don't do online gaming or gaming between our computers. I was wondering if there is any benefit to using a Gaming Router ( D-Link DGL-4100 cost $40.00) instead of the Actiontec. I do have poor (slow)conections once or twice a day and will lose the connection on occasion.

Comments

• Gate28Gate28 Orlando, Florida Icrontian
    edited May 2008
    prolly better to head out to radio shack and get a bigger antenna kit, theyre about 20 dollars and work pretty nice, just make sure your antennas come off on your router first
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited May 2008
    Short answer: No

Long answer: Only thing that D-Link really has over your current router is gigabit ports and gaming oriented QoS. What you want is what Gate suggested or a xtreme N router (tri-antenna), but you'd also need a wireless N adapter which D-Link has a few. Try Gate's route first since the router and adapter aren't that cheap.

I've got the DGL-4500 and the range and speed is better but you only get what they advertise under certain conditions.

-Edit-
    There's regular N but I don't know what kind of range you get. DIR-615. DWA-130.
  • _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
    edited May 2008
    The big gain with the "gaming" routers is the fact they are gigabit, this only helps people who are hard lined to it. You would get the same result buying a 108G(super G) router, they have slightly better range. Putting in a higher gain, dBA, antenna
    always helps. Also if you are on a desktop with a usb make sure it is located in the front so it doesn't have to broadcast through the metal case or buy a usb extension cable for it or weighted dock to get the device from the rear of the computer to a better location. Also changing to a pci card might help but you would need to replace the antenna on it, they are weak. If you are on a laptop the pc, cardbus, cards work well. Usb dongles generally don't get the best performance. Just remember wireless doesn't transmit through metal or water very well, i.e. your kitchen, bathroom, you personally, your computer.