borked my AXP 2100, need new proc

McBainMcBain San Clemente, CA New
edited December 2003 in Hardware
Ok guys....as the title should suggest, I chipped the core on my axp 2100+ yesterday. Currently running Pseudonyms 'extra' barton 3000+ so I need to get a replacement. Kinda broke in light of the new video card(9800 n/p) so I need a fairly cost effective replacement. Got a good grasp on o/c'ing so picking up a cheap little chip and pushing it far is a good possibility. Also a barton 2600+ is another possibility.

What should I get? I need to order tonight too though so I can't really spend alot of time dilly dallying.

Comments

• profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited December 2003
    Like you mentioned: "Also a barton 2600+ is another possibility.
    "

Most bang for the buck right now, IMHO. :thumbsup:
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited December 2003
    profdlp had this to say
    Like you mentioned: "Also a barton 2600+ is another possibility.
    "

Most bang for the buck right now, IMHO. :thumbsup:
    I second that! :thumbsup::thumbsup:
  • McBainMcBain San Clemente, CA New
    edited December 2003
    How does it o/c? and retail or oem?
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited December 2003
    For a few extra bucks, the retail version comes with two extras:

1) A heatsink & fan (nothing special, but able to do the job). Makes a nice backup/trade bait at least.

2) A three-year warranty as opposed to 90 days with the OEM.

As far as overclocking, that's kind of a crapshoot. The newest CPU's seem to ALL be locked. Some people are advising the 2600+ over the 2500+ for that reason. The 2600+ just came down in price, so there might be more "older" ones (OC'able) in stock. Also, since the 2500+ has been the CPU for a while, it's more likely that you'll get one of the newer ones. You'll pay more for a chip from a site which guarantees a certain stepping, though.
  • SpinnerSpinner Birmingham, UK
    edited December 2003
    McBain had this to say
    How does it o/c? and retail or oem?

I'll let some one more experienced answer the overclocking question but the only three questions you need to ask yourself when deciding to go with retail or oem are:

1) Do you want a good warranty?
    2) Do you want a heatsink?
    3) Do you want a AMD sticker?

When I purchased my XP 3200+, I went retail, simply because I didn't want to spend that much money without a warranty to fall back on. However, the 2600+ is a considerably cheaper CPU.
    edited December 2003
    Well I'll prolly get the retail just cause a free heatsink layin around is never a bad thing and I'd like the warranty.

edit//bought the 2600+ barton
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited December 2003
    McBain had this to say
    Well I'll prolly get the retail just cause a free heatsink layin around is never a bad thing and I'd like the warranty.

edit//bought the 2600+ barton

Let us know the stepping and week when you get it as there are not very many here that have one. As a matter of fact I may possibly be the only one. :eek2:

Here is mine. So now you have to show yours. :p
    edited December 2003
    my my.....she sure is a wee little one now isn't she. I don't have a scanner or a digital camera so you'll just have to imagine.