Aging system, What should i upgrade next?

JengoJengo Pasco, WA | USA
edited May 2008 in Hardware
Im in the process of updating my PC with better hardware. I need a little suggestions on what would be the smartest upgrade next. I cant afford to do it all at once so im trying to choose the next component to upgrade. Here are my current specs:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+
1gb PC2 5400
250gb S-ATA HDD
ATi Radeon X1900AIW
Asus nForce4 based board (dont remember the exact name because it was in an HP Machine)
430w Thermaltake PSU (STILL RUNNIN' STRONG!!)

I want to get my PC running a bit faster in games and multi-tasking

What do you guys recommend my next upgrade be?

Here is what i was thinking (in this order)

1. G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1000 (PC2 8000) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory
http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx?item=N82E16820231145

2. SAPPHIRE PI-AM2RS780G AM2+/AM2 AMD 780G Micro ATX AMD Motherboard (must be Micro ATX)
http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx?item=N82E16813154016

????

after this im not sure what i should updgrade. What do you guys think of that motherboard? Another thing to keep in mind is i eventually want to go with a Phenom x3 or x4, so thats why i chose that mobo, but for time being (until i get other things upgraded) i want to keep my current CPU. Another thing is im trying to keep costs down. Im not talking about bare minimum cheap, but affordable is all.

EDIT: thanks for any help guys, i appreciate it.

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited May 2008
    That memory is useless for you. Get PC6400. If your mobo uses AM2 chips, get a phenom.
  • Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
    edited May 2008
    Sapphire makes a terrible motherboard. Try the Biostar TA780G like I got.
  • _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
    edited May 2008
    For ten dollars more you can get the the gigabyte 780G chipset board off of newegg.
  • revorocksrevorocks England, East Sussex, Hove Member
    edited May 2008
    Well, if everything needs changing like cpu, ram,mobo,gfx card then it wouln't exactly be a upgrade, more of a new pc.

ide say save up some money and start building somthing new.

go with amd if your on a budget
    intel if your a multi-billionaire :P
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited May 2008
    ide say save up some money and start building somthing new.
    He's got a good point. But if you must upgrade soon, AMD Phenom and minimum of 2GB PC2 6400. DRAM is still dirt cheap right now.