Vista SP1 - Logitech & BSODs

MissilemanMissileman Orlando, Florida Icrontian
edited May 2008 in Science & Tech
Just a word of warning. The Logitech driver for the G15 Gaming keyboard causes BSOD in Vista after SP1 is installed (version 202).

I just spent a week tracking down these strange almost random BSODs. sometimes they happen during bootup a few seconds to a couple of minutes after the desktop is already up. They usually show as Multiple IRL request error, but not always. More often they happen during shutdown as the dreaded IRQ not less than or equal error. I replaced my RAM tried reinstalls to blank drives in 32 bit and 64 bit. When I tried a clean install from an original DVD the BSOD didn't happen. When I tried the install with a new Microsoft updated DVD with SP1 already integrated I got the BSOD. The problem is it doesn't happen every time. Changing amount of RAM, type of RAM all seemed to affect it, but it was always there waiting to BSOD and corrupt my file system. The only thing I noticed was everytime I rebooted after a crash my LCD panels settings were back to defaults and any changes I had made were gone.

After changing my RAM to 2x2GB - 8500 Corsair Dominators and running Orthos and memtest without an issue I rebooted and got a shutdown BSOD. Now I was determined to locate it. I started removing each driver and using driver cleaner to remove remnants until I no longer got the BSOD on shutdown. I suspected the Logitech sidebar gadget (even though I don't run it) all along since it puts a device in device manager. I tried high probabilities first. I removed my sound card completely. Still did it. Turned off CrossfireX and removed one 3870. Still did it. Removed all ATI drivers. Still did it. Updated RAID drivers and chipset drivers. Still did it. Removed Logitech Game Panel driver - NO BSOD for several reboots. Started reinstalling everything with several reboots in between. All was good. Reinstalled the keyboard software - BSOD on first boot. After a couple of more shutdown BSODs I removed it again. Everything runs fine.

Maybe this info will save someone a bit of time and frustration. It cost me a bit of coin, but I did gain 4GB of some really screaming Corsair dominator RAM :) It actually runs stable with the bios timing set to extreme. 3 other RAM brands I have tried wouldn't even post in this mode :bigggrin:.

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited May 2008
    Good info! Thanks for being the guinea pig! :D
  • DanGDanG I AM CANADIAN Icrontian
    edited May 2008
    That's weird, I'm running vista 64 ultimate, 4gb of ram and the logitech game panel manager version 2.02.101 and haven't had any issues since I updated my bios. I had some problems initally with random BSOD's, but tracked it down to an incompatible bios version with 4gb of ram.
  • MissilemanMissileman Orlando, Florida Icrontian
    edited May 2008
    I wouldn't rule that out in my case, but i tried 3 different bios for my board (Gigabyte X38) and they all did this. I have 4 1GB sticks of Ballistix 1066 and tried them 2 and 4 at a time and the Corsair 2x2GB. They all did it although the 2 x1GB was the setup where it least happened. This system ran perfectly stable since Oct last and never hiccupped. It also ran Vista SP1 betas all the way through. It didn't start this until I installed SP1 off of the official MS DVD. Slow at first and then more and more. At the end it was a BSOD every shutdown.

I also tried removing my antivirus (Kaspersky) and tried no AV and also NOD32. Still got it. I pretty much tried everything but changing the motherboard and processor. I have no overclocks. Tried 2 Sound Blasters (PCI and PCI-E) and the onboard Realtek. I think I have hit as much as I can hit.

I also just went back and tried ver 1.04 and 1.03. They both immediately do it on shutdown. As a matter of fact I installed and went to reboot and BSOD.

It could be bios and I'll surely ask Gigabyte. I should hear from Logitech shortly.

May try a WinXP just for giggles this weekend. :wink: