wireless router

tmh88tmh88 Pittsburgh / Athens, OH
edited July 2008 in Science & Tech
Hey guys, I'm getting a wireless router today and I just want some suggestions. I don't need anything fancy, just for 5-8 computers/gaming consoles to be able to connect to it. In the past I've always gone with linksys, but I haven't bought a router in like 2 years so I don't know much about the good models/brands now. I'm thinking about the WRT54GS simply because it's cheap and reliable, at least with my experience.

I'd appreciate an answer quickly because I'm probably going within the next hour. thanks guys.

btw, there are no cement/brick walls to interfere with the signal.

Comments

• _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
    edited July 2008
    No complaints good basic model. If you do any home networking and have Gig lans on a few computers I would find a gig router to use, but none the less your still gravy. The GL model is linux open already so if you wanted to you could play with it and get it to do some crazy things.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2008
    I highly recommend the WRT54GL. Adding third-party firmware to the Linksys routers is really a great choice, as it takes good hardware with okay firmware to good hardware with great firmware. Hard to beat that.
  • tmh88tmh88 Pittsburgh / Athens, OH
    edited July 2008
    Thanks for the quick responses. I'll see if they carry the WRT54GL, if not I'll just go with the GS.
    edited July 2008
    The only router they had in stock that was under $100 was a cheap netgear, so I just got it for now because we needed one asap.

I have one question, how do I change the settings on the network. I know with linksys you type in the ip 192.168.1.1 and the setup appears. I tried the same thing but it won't let me log in. I typed in the networks password, tried it with admin, but it still wouldn't let me log in. Is there something special that I need to type in other than the password?
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2008
    It depends entirely on the router. Consult the manual.
  • SonorousSonorous F@H Fanatic US Icrontian
    edited July 2008
    Most of the netgear routers I have used have always used 192.168.2.1 for the router's address. Still check the manual though.
    edited July 2008
    192.168.1.1 worked out. username/password were on netgear's website.