Bent pins on MOBO

saltydog806saltydog806 Bowie MD
edited September 2008 in Hardware
Is there a proven method to straighten pins on a board that has CPU pins bent ? Dealing with a X38-DQ6 GIGABYTE MOTHERBOARD :confused:

Comments

• edited July 2008
    After looking around, it seems like it can be done, but it's obviously a very delicate procedure.
    I suggest you Google around more before you do anything.

Before you do anything, make sure your grounded.

Some utensils I saw that could be used are member/credit cards, if they fit between the pin grids.
  • TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited July 2008
    If its like the pins on a cpu then the best way I have ever found is to use a mechanical pencil. slide the bent pins inside the barrel and GENTLY straighten them out that way. I have tried cards, knives and all kinds of crap to straighten bent pins and this is by far the safest way I have found.

Best of luck

Tex
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited July 2008
    ~806, you didn't say where the pins are. Are you referring to the grid array pins in the CPU socket?
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2008
    He implied they're the LGA775 pins in the socket.
  • saltydog806saltydog806 Bowie MD
    edited July 2008
    Leonardo wrote:
    ~806, you didn't say where the pins are. Are you referring to the grid array pins in the CPU socket?

Yes
    edited July 2008
    Tex wrote:
    If its like the pins on a cpu then the best way I have ever found is to use a mechanical pencil. slide the bent pins inside the barrel and GENTLY straighten them out that way. I have tried cards, knives and all kinds of crap to straighten bent pins and this is by far the safest way I have found.

Best of luck

Tex

:bigggrin: That sounds about right. However, I think some type of hollow item that is the same diameter for at least the height of the pin would be a step up.
    Thanks Tex
    edited July 2008
    If I try this and break a pin :eek: I guess the only option would be to replace the CPU socket? Can that be done by the average person or can I send it to the manufacturer ( or elsewhere) to have it done?
  • edited July 2008
    You will have to send it back to Gigabyte to get the socket changed. Unless the bent LGA pins are not bent badly, that would probably be your best option anyways. Also, you might go to Gigabyte's website and ask how much they would charge to fix the board before you try anything. If it's only around $25 or so, just have them fix it.
    edited July 2008
    :bigggrin: That sounds about right. However, I think some type of hollow item that is the same diameter for at least the height of the pin would be a step up.
    Thanks Tex

Maybe I am not picturing your setup. Is it like pins on a cpu? You use the hollow barrel (take out the lead) to slide over the bent pin and gently straighten it. So you have the hollow item you asked for to slip over the pin?

Cheers

Tex
    edited July 2008
    Tex wrote:
    Maybe I am not picturing your setup. Is it like pins on a cpu? You use the hollow barrel (take out the lead) to slide over the bent pin and gently straighten it. So you have the hollow item you asked for to slip over the pin?

Cheers

Tex

Yes it is like the pins on a cpu. Your sugestion got me thinking (which can be dangerous). I have one of those small pens that take a very small diameter metal refill that may fit the pin.
    edited July 2008
    Yes it is like the pins on a cpu. Your sugestion got me thinking (which can be dangerous). I have one of those small pens that take a very small diameter metal refill that may fit the pin.

May be different today but I used to keep a couple different sizes of mechanical pencils around and never had a prob.

Good Luck !

Tex
  • mas0nmas0n howdy Icrontian
    edited July 2008
    I've done the mechanical pencil trick countless times, but never with an LGA socket. Entirely different animal. The problem is that the pins are not straight to begin with.

Good luck, let us know how it goes.
    edited July 2008
    mas0n wrote:
    I've done the mechanical pencil trick countless times, but never with an LGA socket. Entirely different animal. The problem is that the pins are not straight to begin with.

Good luck, let us know how it goes.

Ahhhh I didnt know that! Thanks for clearing that up for me!
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited July 2008
    Tex, this is what we're talking about:
    edited July 2008
    Totaly different beast! LOL
  • ZuntarZuntar North Carolina Icrontian
    edited July 2008
    I have yet to see how that design helped anything.
  • mas0nmas0n howdy Icrontian
    edited July 2008
    Zuntar wrote:
    I have yet to see how that design helped anything.

It helped CPU manufacturers make bent pins someone else's problem.
    edited July 2008
    Is there a proven method to straighten pins on a board that has CPU pins bent ? Dealing with a X38-DQ6 GIGABYTE MOTHERBOARD :confused:

:beer:OK here's an update. I bought the mobo on ebay for $70.00 total.I will try to straighten the pins, if that fails Gigabyte will replace the socket for $30.00. I either got a great deal or:banghead: . Keep your fingers crossed for me. I will keep ya all updated. Give me a week or two to get the board and install it.:bigggrin:
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited July 2008
    Either way you got a great deal - my X38-DQ6 went for something like $230 when I bought it not 5 months ago.
  • edited July 2008
    Snarkasm wrote:
    Either way you got a great deal - my X38-DQ6 went for something like $230 when I bought it not 5 months ago.

Yeah, I paid at least as much as you Snarkasm or maybe even more for mine last December.
    edited July 2008

What is the easiest way to test this board when I get it? Do I have to do a full build with the board in the case?
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited July 2008
    No. Lay out some anti-static bags, lay the board, PSU, HDDs, etc on them, and plug things in.
    edited July 2008
    Thanks Snarkasm
    edited August 2008

:thumbsup: Well I recieved the board. It looks good (no obvious physical damage)except for the bent pins. Called Gigabyte, it's still under warrenty so hopefully if anything else is wrong with it they will take care of it. These pins are so small I'm just going to RMA it for $30.00. I'll be out of town for a bit so I won't be sending it in for a bit. New report in 3 to 4 weeks.:tongue:
  • _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
    edited August 2008
    mas0n wrote:
    It helped CPU manufacturers make bent pins someone else's problem.

Darn right, make it so if you damage it there is almost nothing that can be done. Its not like you can even break them out easy like with the ziff based stuff if its a redundent pin.

Yeah it sounds like you are getting a good deal on all that, ebay solves a lot of problems.....even if it doesn't work SOLD AS IS...............................................................................................................................................missing a cap...............................................................ALMOST LIKE NEW!!!!:D:D:D
    edited September 2008

YEA :bigggrin::bigggrin::bigggrin:

Update: I'm back from vacation and have mailed in(RMA'd) the MOBO.
    I had to get a cpu socket protective cover ( twice, I broke the first :rolleyes2) and install before shipping.

Gigabyte said the pins are covered so I only pay the shipping.:cool2:

Now I get to read the manual and get ready to build my new rig (my first complete build) :woowoo:Any sugestions or warnings for this board would be great.At present I only have the "NEW" MOBO, Case and PSU. I have everything else to put it together and will upgrade as I can. Should I start a new thread or just keep this going?

It's good to be home.