Problem w. XP after dual boot Ubuntu 8.04

CaffeineMeCaffeineMe Cedar Rapids, IA
edited July 2008 in Hardware
Hi all!

First, let me say that, in my excitement to try something new, I did everything wrong. No backups, and too many changes all at once. That said....

I've got a DFI NForce3 mobo, 64bit AMD processor. Here's what I have done:

1. Flashed the BIOS to the "latest" (dated 2005) on the mobo, prior to any changes. PC booted fine into XP.

2. Installed Ubuntu onto the unused portion of my NTFS partition. Both OS's booted fine. SATA HDD.

Here's where it gets tricky...

3. Pulled the mobo from the case. Installed a new processor and fan, went from an AMD 3000+ to a 4000+, and added 2GB of RAM to the empty slots. PC boots to Ubuntu via GRUB (using it now actually), but XP boot freezes.

If I try booting into XP Safe mode, freezes at the mup.sys file. If I try booting from the XP CD, freezes at "Windows is starting up" and I never get the chance to go into the recovery mode.

I've tried last known good configuration option, that's been a hung XP boot as well.

I resized the NTFS partition during the Ubuntu install, when launching XP prior to the failure, it was prompting me for a disk scan, which I of course neglected to do. When launching into Safe Mode w. networking, it sometimes prompts for the disk scan. If I try to do that, it hangs.

Any options I can try? Can I use my working Ubuntu install (it's partition is on the same HDD as the XP partition) to recover the XP partition so I can boot to it, and backup the data I have there?

Thanks!

Bill

Comments

• Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
    edited July 2008
    You might've screwed up the NTFS journal. I'm not sure if you can fix it without formatting, as I know next to little about the NTFS table.
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited July 2008
    In ubuntu you should be able to see your NTFS partition if it's in a readable state. You could then back it up.

However the bigger concern is that if you can't even boot off the windows cd to get into any of the repair modes it could be a bugger to fix. When you put in the new chip are you sure you have your bios settings right as far as timings and power goes? Could be you've got an unstable setting and XP doesn't like it.
  • CaffeineMeCaffeineMe Cedar Rapids, IA
    edited July 2008
    kryyst wrote:

. When you put in the new chip are you sure you have your bios settings right as far as timings and power goes? Could be you've got an unstable setting and XP doesn't like it.

Sometimes, it's the simplest things! I loaded "optimized BIOS defaults", rebooted. I still can't boot off the XP CD (issue for another day!), but I was able to get XP to run CHKDSK, it rebooted, and I can now boot into both OS's.

Thanks!

Bill
  • Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
    edited July 2008
    Well, if you can't boot off the CD, just make sure the CDROM is the first boot device.
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited July 2008
    Once you are booted into windows or ubuntu can you read disks in your cdrom?