Video Capture Card?

TroganTrogan London, UK
edited August 2008 in Hardware
I'm looking to get an External Video Capture Card so that I can do this. It will be used on laptop, hence it will need to be external.

Does anyone know of a decent (not too expensive) product? I'm not going to buy now, just want to see what is available.

Thanks!

Comments

• TvManPwnsTvManPwns Manitoba, Canada Member
    edited August 2008
    I think this is what your looking for. Hope that helps, its not to expensive and comes with a video editing software. Not sure if the software part will be any good just playing on the fact that pre-packaged software tends to usually be a let down (in my experiences anyway.) :)

//Edit: Ah, I forgot to add that this software included didn't say it had any features like video overlay. For this I would suggest a software like Ulead studios. Its a great software but your gonna need to have a somewhat higher power laptop to be able to run it.
  • TroganTrogan London, UK
    edited August 2008
    Thanks for the link and info! Unfortunately, Newegg don't deliver to the UK yet. Plus, my laptop is nowhere near powerful, so I'll have to wait.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2008
    It delivers if you recruit friends from across the pond.
    edited August 2008
    Thrax wrote:
    It delivers if you recruit friends from across the pond.
    Yeah, I could, but I might not need to do that. Found the same product at Amazon, although it's more expensive. :rolleyes:

Just to confirm: will this allow me to stream live TV with the correct software? and is streaming legal? I haven't read or heard were it's not.
  • TvManPwnsTvManPwns Manitoba, Canada Member
    edited August 2008
    Connect xbox through a vcr so its displayed on tv .
    Connect video out from vcr to capture card .
    Use a stereo headphone conversion cable to connect vcr audio output to pc linein only

Provides clearest quality (mixed signals degrade picture quality)

Set capture program to VTR mode , record audio from pc linein , set format (pal / nstc) , and required final format it is to be recorded into ... avi , mpeg , or other .

Hit the record button on capture program .

Go back to xbox and tv , and play game .

Credit goes to Bjs from the videohelp forum.

//Edit: I also think that it would work to just take an AV splitter and run one set of cords to your t.v. and one set to the capture card.
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited August 2008
    Trogan wrote:
    Just to confirm: will this allow me to stream live TV with the correct software? and is streaming legal? I haven't read or heard were it's not.

I'm confused. What is it that you want to do? Watch TV that's being inputted to your PC via internet?

As for the legality, it's probably a grey area. I know it's legal in the US to stream from a DVR but not sure about live tv . Probably can't stream to other people since they would probably be considered rebroadcasting and you don't have the channel's permission. IMO for personal use you shouldn't have a problem.
    edited August 2008
    I was thinking about streaming live TV to my laptop (like people do here). But streaming to other people would be illegal, like you said.
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited August 2008
    I believe you can use VLC and stream from the capture card.
    edited August 2008
    OK, thanks! I'll try the suggestions when I buy the card.