Graphics Crash

edited August 2008 in Hardware
So recently i bought a new pc , it came with a Nvidia Xpertvision 8500 GT Super 1 GB(working on upgrading it :P). I noticed that sometimes, while im playing games ( COD4 / unreal tournament ... etc) the game freezes for like 5 secs.then it unfreezes and the graphics are all messed up , wrong colours , bright lights , flashing colours ... MESSED UP. Why is this happening? how can i solve it ? ..
Another thing , the xpertvision control panel has a performance tab,where i can boost the performance and lower it (overclocking ? ) .. im just too scared to try to boost it up,is it safe??

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2008
    Can you post a screenshot of what's going on when your picture messes up?
  • edited August 2008
    It randomly happens, Ill have to play the game till it crashes. ill try to get one though ^^". Basically, every image or graphic in the game starts to appear on the screen, makng no sense at all, colours are grey-ish and flashing bright and dark.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2008
    If I had to guess, I would say you may have a dying video card. What you're describing is very common for that problem.
  • edited August 2008
    hmm..thats bad news.Its supposed to be new.
    I managed to get a screenshot :
    crash1zm5.png
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    edited August 2008
    install rivatuner and check the temp of the card. it logs it so youll be able to see how hot its getting while you are playing. if it only happens while playing games you might just be overheating.
  • pigflipperpigflipper The Forgotten Coast Icrontian
    edited August 2008
    That doesn't look like artifacts caused by overheating, that looks like some of the errors I used to get on my Gainward ti4200 64meg (yes, that entire line of cards was bad and eventually failed) right before it completely failed on me.

Does anything happen after those errors? Does it crash to desktop? Also, what drivers are you running?
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited August 2008
    Is that a laptop?
    edited August 2008
    I just looked up that card and the cooling features on it are lacking, to say the least. It might just be overheating, another Nvidia chipset that is screwed, or just a lemon of a card (as an individual).
  • edited August 2008
    I wouldnt say overheating , the highest temp. i got to was 55..the normal temp. is 50 ..so id say 55 is perfectly fine.
    @leonardo -No its not a laptop, its a HP desktop,Intel Core2duo 2.66 Ghz ,3GB of RAM.
    @pigflipper -graphics crash and the game just keeps on running perfectly, actually the other day i found out that if i minimized the game(Alt+Tab) then open it again,graphics return to normal. And im pretty much sure im running the lates driver for my card.
  • bullzisniprbullzisnipr Topeka, KS
    edited August 2008
    Download ATITool and check for artifacts. http://www.techpowerup.com/atitool/

To scan for artifacts simply run ATITool and in the bottom left it says "scan for artifacts" pretty simple. Let it run for a good 30 minutes and see if it ever detects any artifacting. This is essentially the same as running orthos or prime on a cpu.
    edited August 2008
    Sounds like you might just have a lemon of a card then.
  • TvManPwnsTvManPwns Manitoba, Canada Member
    edited August 2008
    Oh, this is bad news to me. I have an EVGA 7600 GT that is having texture issues that look similar to that =/.... I tried underclocking it, putting some new thermal paste on it to keep down temps, and scanned for artifacts.

Does this mean I have a lemon card to?
  • Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
    edited August 2008
    Yeah. Those kinds of artifacts only occour during a DAC failure, or a controller error. Things are out of order.
  • TvManPwnsTvManPwns Manitoba, Canada Member
    edited August 2008
    Yeah. Those kinds of artifacts only occour during a DAC failure, or a controller error. Things are out of order.

Well, now atleast I know I should start receipt surfing. . . I think it might be around here somwhere :confused: