Windows XP Updates Not Installing On New Laptop

FelixDeSouzeFelixDeSouze UK New
edited August 2008 in Science & Tech
Hi Guys,

I'm wondering if you can help me. I've been building a new laptop (software wise) for my manager and I've updated to Service Pack 3 and several other updates. I then tried updating again, downloaded the updatges but when I came to install them they just keep on failing.

The updates that are failing are below, is there any reason that these updates would fail and if so can anyone help resolve this and getting them installed.

----
Security Update for Microsoft XML Core Services 4.0 Service Pack 2 (KB936181)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB951748)
Cumulative Security Update for ActiveX Killbits for Windows XP (KB950760)
Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 6 for Windows XP (KB950759)
Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework, Version 2.0 (KB928365)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB950762)
Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework, Version 1.1 Service Pack 1 (KB928366)
Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool - July 2008 (KB890830)
Update for Windows XP (KB951978)
Windows Internet Explorer 7 for Windows XP
Security Update for Windows XP (KB951376)

----

Thanks in advance

Felix.

Comments

• kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited August 2008
    Are you downloading the updates individually or installing the updates through the automated update tool in internet explorer?
  • FelixDeSouzeFelixDeSouze UK New
    edited August 2008
    I'm doing it through the 'Windows Update' in the start menu as well as automatically. Both ways fail.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited August 2008
    Felix, send me an email through the email link in above me avatar. I've got a couple tools that are simple as click and run that will fix that. I'm at work right now and don't have time to go searching. If I have an email from you I'll remember to find it this evening and post links here in this thread. The solution worked perfectly on four computers (all with legal Windows installations) that had not been updating correctly for weeks or even months.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited August 2008
    Go here, then download and run Dial-a-Fix. That should do it.
    edited August 2008
    Sorry Leo, I didn't see your posts last night.. Didn't go on my PC.. Thanks I'll try that tool and let you know the outcome. Yep, all legit XP installations.. Brand new from DELL last week so I bloody hope they are! LoL.
    edited August 2008
    Thanks Leo, worked a charm... All updates are installed successfully!!!