Outlook Send/Receive Issue

FelixDeSouzeFelixDeSouze UK New
edited September 2008 in Science & Tech
Hi Guys,

Another issue has arose, this time with Outlook.

Our emails are hosted with a UK hosting company (so POP rather than exchange) and our smtp is 'mail.btconnect.com' (a UK service provider for phones etc - for you americans ;) ).

Now we do not have any emails sending or receiving, in the outbox, in drafts or anywhere else like that but everytime the 'Send/Recieve' is being processed it is trying to send email 1 of 1 but it shouldn't be sending any as the user is not sending any emails at all.

This is not really the issue, the main problem is everytime it tries to send we get an error message (see attached - I'm not sure if this will help or not though), it seems like there is something else in the background trying to send an email but the email address cannot be verified and therefore errors.

Has anyone ever come across something like this and has anyone got any suggestions on what we could check to see what is going on?

Thanks in advance (once again :P )

Felix.

Comments

• FelixDeSouzeFelixDeSouze UK New
    edited August 2008
    Haha, posted in OS section rather than General section, feel free to move (Mr Mod Man) ;)
  • mas0nmas0n howdy Icrontian
    edited August 2008
    Looks like the hosting is actually provided by Yahoo and you need to verify the account with them, or you are using an SMTP server that belongs to Yahoo and need to verify the alternate address. I've had to do this for several of my smaller clients. The url in the error message explains what you need to do:

http://help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/mail/original/manage/sendfrom-07.html
    edited August 2008
    mas0n wrote:
    Looks like the hosting is actually provided by Yahoo and you need to verify the account with them, or you are using an SMTP server that belongs to Yahoo and need to verify the alternate address. I've had to do this for several of my smaller clients. The url in the error message explains what you need to do:

http://help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/mail/original/manage/sendfrom-07.html

Apparently my colleague has already registered the email (with BT).. That is what is concerning him. The fact that he is not sending emails and therefore it should not be sending anything from yahoo but instead BT?
    edited August 2008
    Ok, just been informed that the emails are now trying to send 3 instead of 1.. Also informed that he did register his email in the steps within yahoo link.

He is wondering why the account is trying to send emails and failing as he is constantly getting the error pop-up (altough I have explained to him how to only show the error message in his info bar).

Any idea's anyone?
    edited August 2008
    Ok, been on the system today and I don't know what the emails are but they definetly aren't supposed to be being sent. These emails are not from us.. Now there is 6 isntead of 3. I've checked all the settings and tested several things but nothing, nothing works.

Is there any type of tool which can determine if something is being sent and what exactly is being sent?

It's getting furstrating now so any help is appreciated.
  • RichDRichD Essex, UK
    edited August 2008
    Hi there not sure if you are aware of this or not but BT ans Yahoo are part of the same company now so that may explain some confusion. I would suggest you completely remove the account and try to re-install it. It does seem a little odd that it is trying to send stuff that is not in outlook anywhere. Im not an expert but it might be woth posting a hijack this log in the security section just to make sure it isn't something more than an outlook problem. I had problems setting up my POP3 yahoo email in outlook because of the SSL settings but I dont think your first issue should be why is it not sending but why is it trying to send.
    edited August 2008
    I will get a hijack this log next week when I'm back in work.. It does send normal emails that he intentionally writes up so it's not an issue with sending any normal emails
  • RichDRichD Essex, UK
    edited August 2008
    Forget Hijack this. I think I know what the problem is. My parents use BT and they had exactly the same problem last night and it goes a little something like this.

BT and Yahoo merged a little while ago and my dad used to have and address that was ***@btopenworld.com after they merged he was given a new on which was ***@btinternet.com.

BT have recently changed their mail server settings so that you cant send mails from an address other than @btinternet from your account without adding them to your list of confirmed email addresses.

The problem my parents had was that there account in Outlook was using btopenworld and it should be btinternet.

I dont know why it was trying to send emails that didn't exist but try creating a new email account and set it as the default. Give that a go and see if it sorts it out.

I think it will coz it did on my parrents.
    edited August 2008
    I'm not sure if that would work.. Simply because we use BT for the outgoing mail, but the email address we use is *@company.co.uk and not actually a bt email address..

Apparently it has now jumped to 10+ emails trying to send but not going out.

Very strange and it's getting a little tedious.
  • RichDRichD Essex, UK
    edited August 2008
    I dont actually think that matters but im not sure. Go to www.yahoo.co.uk and click on mail. Enter your BT username and password and you can the access your pop3 server. You will see your inbox which may or maynot be empty depending on how it is set up. Left click on options in the top right corner then choose email accounts. This will display a list of all the addresses that are set up with BT. You can then add your @company.co.uk address to this list and that should then allow you to send from that address. You will need all your mail server settings for that address.

Not quite sure if you will be able add the new address but give it a go and see what happens.

You can also change your pop3 and forwarding settings in here too. I have mine set so that I keep a copy of my mails on the server until i delete them from my inbox. That way I have remote access to my mails. By default spam messages aren't sent on so you may also want to change it so that spam is sent but the subject is prefixed [spam]. You can then set up a rule to filter span into your junk email folder. Let me know how you get on.
    edited August 2008
    I'll try that today and let you know the outcome.. cheers.
    edited September 2008
    He's gone on holiday now and the option didn't seem to work.. I think he is going to try and re-install and see what happens.. I will let you know the outcome when I have one.