Thrax's big fitness adventure

Comments

• GrimnocGrimnoc Marion, IN
    edited July 2009
    Hey Thrax, seeing as how I am very new to Icrontic I don't know you at all, but I found this thread really encouraging as I am about to start my own exercise regimen come this Monday.

Only my goal is to add weight (via muscle mass) for once in my life!

Anyway, keep at it and good luck.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    Alright, back on the treadmill. Squat, bench and DL are holding steady, and I've confirmed my weight at 181.6. Here's to those last 6-8 pounds. :) Home stretch.
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    Keep at it mate. Keep at it. Doing real well.

Check out my progress as well, I have really broken my plateau. Back on track :)
    edited July 2009
    I've been following your thread closely, good sir! You've been making great progress! :D

And speaking of progress, I have moved a smidge closer to my goal with a 1 pound drop to 180.6. HUZZAH. I am starting to get vascularity in both of my arms, and I can see the faint shadow of the veins in my biceps... MUST LOSE MOAR FAT.
    edited July 2009
    Who is 179.2 pounds?

THIS GUY.

This is the first time I've been under 180 pounds in nearly a year. SO FUCKING CLOSE.
  • chrisWhitechrisWhite Littleton, CO
    edited July 2009
    Congrats, you're a badass!
  • lordbeanlordbean Ontario, Canada
    edited July 2009
    Damn, dude. You're doing great at losing weight. I'd refer my coworker to you (since he's got a gut he wants to lose), but he's not internet-enabled (or even overly PC-enabled, to my knowledge).

Weight fluctuates up and down in the neighborhood of 2-5 pounds daily depending on water retention and amount of food consumed that hasn't been "processed" yet. Particularly if you've had a day heavy on salt, water retention can temporarily add a lot to your weight.
    edited July 2009
    Right. Going into the LAN, for example, I weighed exactly 183 pounds. On the final day of the LAN, I weighed 190.3 pounds. 48 hours after the LAN, I was back to 183.

This means that I was carrying approximately 7 pounds of water, food and whatnot. This is also why I systematically weigh myself in specific conditions:

1. I weigh myself Saturday morning.
    2. I must have 8 hours of sleep from the night prior.
    3. My last meal can be no sooner than 3 hours prior to sleep the night before.
    4. My last meal before sleeping must always be the same.
    5. Friday must be a day where I have cycled exactly 9.6 miles.

These conditions assure that the weight measurements will be relatively accurate and free of fluctuation week to week.
    edited July 2009
    Good call on the consistency. That's probably the best way to keep an accurate log of it.

Since I'm trying to go the opposite direction (currently 130 pounds and gradually climbing), I don't keep very careful track of mine. I only weigh myself once in a while to make sure it isn't trending down. I'm pretty sure it's not, though, because I can see the new muscle growing onto me.
    edited July 2009
    Yeah, when I was bulking (I went from 171 to 200 lbs), I stepped on the scale every two weeks or so. I didn't really care much, because I knew it would go at the pace it wanted, and my diet was clean.
    edited July 2009
    I made the fortunate discovery that my initial thoughts on whey protein (that it upset my stomach) were not in fact correct. Since I have a good 2/3 of a kilo of it still, I mixed a glass and drank it... and lo and behold... nothing happened. I felt like I'd drank a glass of koolaid.

This is very good, since my stomach often refuses to contain as much food as I'd like it to after a workout. Carbs don't cause much trouble, but my belly's very finicky with protein/fat/salt, or any combination of the 3. Has made my diet rather more interesting to figure out than a normal bodybuilder.
    edited July 2009
    edited July 2009
    177.2. WTF WEIGHT LOSS.
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    The real questions for the girls (and others)... Do you have abs yet? ;D
    edited July 2009
    Not yet! I'd estimate about another 6-8 pounds.
    edited August 2009
    176.2 or so.

I'm making about a pound every 7-10 days, but I think it can be a little faster.

I'm going to see how this week pans out, then give carb cycling a shot if I stalled.

TL;DR VERSION:

Saturday: Carb+
    Sunday: low carb
    Monday: no carb
    Tuesday: low carb
    Wednesday: High carb
    Thursday: Low carb
    Friday: No carb

HIGH CARB+:
    Three meals with unlimited carbohydrates of any source

HIGH CARB:
    Clean carb breakfast
    1 pre-workout clean carb meal
    1 post-workout clean carb meal

LOW CARB:
    89g Clean carb breakfast
    89g Clean carb post-workout meal

NO CARB:
    Current carb-free

All in all, I think I'm definitely going to add anywhere between 8-15 pounds to my frame when I resume mass-building. There are a few areas that did not turn out as well as I wanted, and my overall size is going to be smaller than my original goal. So I'll get to that goal throughout this winter, and then see where I stand.
    edited August 2009
    174.4. It appears that it's working. I've been pondering the +10-15 pounds idea since I last posted, and I'm pretty resolved in the notion.

I'm already certain I'm gonna go with a 4 day split, on/on/off/on/on/off/off, and try high-calorie carb cycling throughout my bulk phase to minimize fat generation.

I've also been considering my programming: I am most certainly going to add some form of forearm exercise -- hammer curl or reverse curls -- and bring the pain on my chest, possibly with a pec deck.

As this is my last BIG chance to get everything in proportion, I have to make sure this goes right. I don't want to spend months playing fiddly games later on, so I'm gonna keep my October/November bulk start go super clean.

My musculature is starting to show, but not in the dimensions I had hoped for when I began this time last year. That said, I also knew this would be a 2+ year process, and the first year is just drawing to a close. I am pleased that I was able to put on about 20 pounds of lean muscle in just 7 months; that's very good progress. Sue me for wanting more. ;)

Discipline will get me to my goals, so discipline it is.
    edited August 2009
    Today was the best day at the gym I've had in a very long time. I moved all of my lifts up either by reps or by weight, and everything just felt easier. I cannot even begin to express how good it feels to have some carbs back in my system.

It's pretty early on, but I think this carb cycling business was a fantastic idea, and I wish I had done it sooner.
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    From a guy that nearly killed himself losing weight, you've been a great inspiration to me and getting my arse back where I was in the military. I look forward to ICOK to discuss our biceps :thumbsup:
    edited August 2009
    I think 174.4 was a fluke of the scale. THe lowest I've seen it since is 175.8, and that is today. Looks like carb cycling may have jumpstarted my metabolism? We'll see.
    edited August 2009
    20 pounds of lean muscle in 7 months is amazing. If I can match that I'll be at my initial 150-pound target by february. Keep poking me to make sure I'm following through in my thread prz!
    edited August 2009
    Whoa, yep, carb cycling is working. 174.8 today.
    edited August 2009
    173.8 pounds.

That's 1 pound per week with no cardio. That's the same results I was getting with no carbs 6 days a week, and 3 days of cardio to boot.
    edited August 2009
    Sounds like you've hit on something. Other people in the same situation may wanna try this.

As for me, I have no need for it. I can stuff carbs down my throat all day without gaining fat. ^.^
    edited September 2009
    I can't believe how well this is working. Not only do I have more energy for lifting (I AM FINALLY MAKING GAINS ON SQUATS AGAIN OMG), I am still losing weight and not busting my ass on the bike. I LOVE CARB CYCLING.
    edited September 2009
    I seem to have tapered out around 172.8 pounds super dry, but between labor day and time with friends, my diet has not been the best.

To compensate for the short amount of time I have before ICOK where I desperately hope I can use my main costume idea, I am reconfiguring my diet to lose approximately 2 pounds per week, if my calculations are right.

Here are my numbers, and what I'm eating:

Sunday: Low carb (2000 calories)
    Monday: No carb (1420 calories)
    Tuesday: High carb (2364 calories)
    Friday: No carb (1420 calories)
    Thursday: Low carb (2000 calories)
    Friday: No carb (1420 calories)
    Saturday: High carb (3000 calories)

Weekly burn (Est. 3100*7): 21700
    Weekly intake: 13624
    Deficit: 8076 (2.3lbs)

No carb
    244g protein/45g carb/27g fat

Meal 1: Protein shake
    Meal 2: 226g 0% fat cottage cheese + 6oz Chicken
    Meal 3: 226g 0% fat cottage cheese + 1 can Green Beans
    Meal 4: Protein shake
    Meal 5: 6 oz. chicken

Low Carb
    235g protein/189g carb/33g fat

Meal 1: 1 cup oatmeal + apple + protein shake
    Meal 2: 226g 0% fat cottage cheese
    Meal 3: 226g 0% fat cottage cheese + 1 can green beans
    Meal 4: 1 cup oatmeal + apple + protein shake
    Meal 5: 8oz chicken

High Carb
    248g protein/261g carb/39g fat

Meal 1: 1 cup oatmeal + apple + 226g 0% fat cottage cheese
    Meal 2: 226g 0% fat cottage cheese
    Meal 3: 1 cup oatmeal + apple + protein shake
    Meal 4: 1 cup oatmeal + apple + protein shake
    Meal 5: 8oz chicken + green beans

High Carb+
    At least 248g protein/261g carb/39g fat

Meal 1: 1 cup oatmeal + apple + protein shake
    Meal 2: 452g 0% fat cottage cheese
    Meal 3: 1 cup oatmeal + apple + protein shake
    Meal 4: Dinner with someone
    Meal 5: 8oz chicken + 1 can green beans

NOTES:
    • Each day consists of five meals, without exception.
    • Each day is supplemented with 1 gallon of water and 20-30g of Omega 3 fish oil.
    • My low carb days are backed by 10mi of cycling. Let's do this.
    • My protein shakes provide 4 cups of water and approx. 40g of protein.
    • Meal 4 on Tues/Thurs/Sun. is my post-workout meal.
    • Oatmeal volume is in dry oats.
    • My calorie intake is determined by the following formulas:
      • Protein: (WEIGHT*1.4) in grams, divided across five meals.
        • Ex: I am 172 pounds. 172 * 1.4 = 240g in protein, or an ideal of 48g of protein for every meal.
      • Carbs: (WEIGHT/2) in grams per direct carb meal.
        • Ex: I am 172 pounds. 172/2 = 86g of oatmeal/brown rice/sweet potato carb grams per carb meal.
      • Fat: As little as possible.
    • "Direct carb" means you're specifically eating a carbohydrate. Protein powders, turkey, 0% fat cottage cheese and fruits all have incidental carbohydrates that don't count towards the total

THEORY:
    • Eating a piece of fruit with each carbohydrate meal will elevate liver glycogen and promote weight loss.
    • The zero carb days will provide tremendous fat burning due to cardio, pseudo-ketogenic insulin/glycogen levels and an extreme caloric deficit.
    • Sandwiching low-calorie/zero carb days between calorie and carbohydrate-rich days should avoid the penalties of starvation mode.
    • Maintaining 4 days with heightened carbohydrate intake should elevate my overall metabolism, and promote superior gym performance.
    • This plan is psychologically--and nutritionally--satisfying, as it provides high protein (>200g), extremely low fat (<40g), and variable carbohydrate to keep it exciting.

SUBSTITUTIONS:
    • You weirdo texture people who are squicked out at the thought of cottage cheese and/or dairy may replace it with any low or zero-fat protein source.
    • Green beans may be replaced with 1.5 cups of any green vegetable: Asparagus, broccoli and spinach are good examples.
    • Oatmeal may be replaced with: 100% ground durum wheat noodles, sweet potatoes or brown rice.
    • People who will be slowly driven insane by 7 days/week of chicken are free to replace it with white turkey meat or bison.
    • People who don't like apples may replace them: Plums, pears and oranges are acceptable. Bananas, kiwi and berries are not.
  • GnomeQueenGnomeQueen The Lulz Queen Mountain Dew Mouth Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    You can do it!! :D
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    Is there any other protein source besides chicken you can recommend? most people don't have the psychological capability to eat nothing but chicken as a protein source, especially when they have other people living with them.
    edited September 2009
    White meat turkey is good, ultra-lean (read: expensive) beef, and bison is ESPECIALLY good.
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    Tuna is the only lean protein source I can eat that is a "meat". Mmmmm mercury!

Thrax, what brand of 0% cottage cheese do you eat? I have had a lot of trouble finding one that I find palatable due to flavor. I never mind the texture of cottage cheese, though. I've taken to eating the 2% stuff but it's still got a bunch of saturated fat in it.