width=100% in IE?

fmuellerfmueller Auckland, NZ Icrontian
edited September 2008 in Internet & Media
I am managing the web site of my wife's research group for her. I am religiously using Firefox myself, but since so many students are using IE, I simply can not ignore it. I am also wedded to the idea of a dynamic design, that is having the width of the page adjust to the browser window. The bars on my pages display nicely in Firefox and Opera, but IE does not seem to understand width=100%. Is there an easy way around this?

This is a page that shows the problem. Look at the green bars in Firefox and IE and you will see the mess in the latter :horrified:

Many thanks

Frank

Comments

• Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
    edited September 2008
    Didn't I hear something around abouts May that IE7 wasn't XHTML certified or some crap like that?
  • fmuellerfmueller Auckland, NZ Icrontian
    edited September 2008
    Well, that there is little that Microsoft cares less about than standards is not exactly headline making news. I am just wondering if anybody knows of a convenient workaround for this particular blunder.

Many thanks in advance

Frank
  • MiracleManSMiracleManS Chambersburg, PA Icrontian
    edited September 2008
    I'm not 100% sure but have you tried now using XHTML 1.0 Strict?

Also check out http://www.webmasterworld.com/css/3304306.htm
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited September 2008
    fm, I can't access that website. I get a page load error.

If you can give me a screen shot or a link that works, I'd be glad to help out.
    Didn't I hear something around abouts May that IE7 wasn't XHTML certified or some crap like that?
    This has nothing to do with anything. I don't even think an "XHTML certification" exists for browsers.
    I'm not 100% sure but have you tried now using XHTML 1.0 Strict?
    No, don't do that. (And I think that link presents something that will turn out to be far more complex than what he needs).
  • MiracleManSMiracleManS Chambersburg, PA Icrontian
    edited September 2008
    Yeah, I think I've heard of this at some point...but I can't remember the specific fix for it.

Keebs this strikes me as something you've dealt with before.

Edit: Looking this up, it looks like you're declaring div width="100%" in the actual tag and then 100% width in your css, maybe take one out?
    edited September 2008
    fm, I can get to the link this morning from work. The bars look fine in IE6 and IE8. It only breaks when I look at it in IE7 mode. Hmmm...
    edited September 2008
    You can't have a width=100% attribute on a div tag. It's not part of the HTML spec. Remove that first; it should only be in the CSS. I think that was throwing off IE7. I saved it to my desktop, removed that, and now it looks fine to me.