Spore?

CantiCanti =/= smalltimehttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9K18CGEeiI&feature=related Icrontian
edited April 2009 in Gaming
I've heard mostly disappointing comments on it so far. Please tell me they're idiots and I'm even more idiot for believing them.

Comments

• UPSWeezerUPSWeezer Behind you... GENTLEMEN Icrontian
    edited September 2008
    I don't care what anyone says. I'm getting it. As soon as I get the cash, that is.
  • NiGHTSNiGHTS San Diego Icrontian
    edited September 2008
    I've been playing it nonstop, and I've enjoyed every minute of it. If you're a fan of the Maxis games, you'll love this. I've caught myself laughing or smiling while I'm playing this countless times. It's clever, it's fun, and it's so deep it's ridiculous.

Hopefully it keeps its glamor and I don't get burnt out on it... I've seriously been playing it way too much.
  • CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian
    edited September 2008
    I just went out and purchased it. Circuit City has a free $10 GC if you buy the game, and if you price match at Best Buy they just give you $10 off the price. I'm installing now, I'll post my thoughts as soon as I stop to post again.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited September 2008
    It's a LOT of fun.
  • MrTRiotMrTRiot Northern Ontario Icrontian
    edited September 2008
    Lord Canti wrote:
    I've heard mostly disappointing comments on it so far. Please tell me they're idiots and I'm even more idiot for believing them.

THEY'RE IDIOTS! The only draw back is "designing" everything, well if you could even call it that. It just gets kind of repedetaive as you advance to the Civ phase.

I've been playing it [borrowed from a friend] and it's AWSOME! I'm still waiting on the galactic edition to ship though :(
    edited September 2008
    Mr TRiot wrote:
    THEY'RE IDIOTS! The only draw back is "designing" everything, well if you could even call it that. It just gets kind of repedetaive as you advance to the Civ phase.

I've been playing it [borrowed from a friend] and it's AWSOME! I'm still waiting on the galactic edition to ship though :(

You can select prefab buildings, too.
    edited September 2008
    NiGHTS wrote:
    You can select prefab buildings, too.

Then I guess there is no draw backs :p
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited September 2008
    It's your typical case of over-hype. The game was exposed a loooooong time ago and raised expectations to astronomical levels.

Same thing happened with Crysis, Doom3, and Half-Life 2, though very few complained about half-life 2.

The main thing I keep hearing is that the game is almost too casual.
    edited September 2008
    UPSLynx wrote:
    It's your typical case of over-hype. The game was exposed a loooooong time ago and raised expectations to astronomical levels.

Same thing happened with Crysis, Doom3, and Half-Life 2, though very few complained about half-life 2.

The main thing I keep hearing is that the game is almost too casual.

Not at all. The game bent me over and raped me after the first 7 minutes in civilized age. It kicked the crap out of me and came back for seconds.
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    edited September 2008
    pretty fun game.
  • leishi85leishi85 Grand Rapids, MI Icrontian
    edited September 2008
    anyone having troubles finding planets to complete missions?
  • mas0nmas0n howdy Icrontian
    edited September 2008
    I'll be picking it up this week, for sure.
    edited September 2008
    leishi85 wrote:
    anyone having troubles finding planets to complete missions?

Not really, mouseover the star systems. The mission gives you which star system to travel to, as well as what planet to visit once there.

Edit: Animated gif from the /My Documents/Spore Creations/ folder - these are created automatically for a variety of objects in the game that you create. This one happens to be me making my town hall for the world domination phase.

attachment.php?attachmentid=25921&stc=1&d=1220841267
  • WinfreyWinfrey waddafuh Missouri Icrontian
    edited September 2008
    Do you have to have an internet connection to play?
    edited September 2008
    Nope.
  • WinfreyWinfrey waddafuh Missouri Icrontian
    edited September 2008
    NiGHTS wrote:
    Nope.

w00t awesomesauce on a 1337burger!
  • leishi85leishi85 Grand Rapids, MI Icrontian
    edited September 2008
    NiGHTS wrote:
    Not really, mouseover the star systems. The mission gives you which star system to travel to, as well as what planet to visit once there.

Edit: Animated gif from the /My Documents/Spore Creations/ folder - these are created automatically for a variety of objects in the game that you create. This one happens to be me making my town hall for the world domination phase.

attachment.php?attachmentid=25921&stc=1&d=1220841267

i realize that, but it's so hard to find the star system once u have traveled to many. and there are so many of them, i'm having so much trouble right now finding the star systems.
  • CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian
    edited September 2008
    Here's my leafy town hall.
    edited September 2008
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited September 2008
    Frigging awesome!

Procedural generation is so awesome. I love the stuff. They generate almost every bit of content in Spore on the fly, it's footprint is pretty small.

It's fascinating technology and the potential for game integration is most impressive.

Think of it. In an FPS, buildings are always static with locked doors. But if they applied procedural generation, once implemented correctly, we could theoretically have the processor create building interiors and furnish them. Would they serve a purpose regrading gameplay? Maybe for shooting/cover positions, but nothing much more. But the level of immersion increases substantially.

Theres a procedural framework available now (can't think of the name without looking it up) that focuses on generation of textures. So think of this. You've got a situation in a game where it's raining out. Most games leave primitives in the game world with the same dry textures. Crysis and Gears of War are two games who had 'wet' textures. But those textures aren't dynamic and are GPU heavy. With procedural textures, you could dynamically create wet surface by creating a spectral heavy texture and changing said texture at a rapid rate in real time, thus making things look wet, and having 'flowing' rain water on them.

All of that is done mathematically. In an age with multi-core processors, this is a very efficient way of creating content. In the mean time, the GPU is free to handle the heavy stuff, like shaders.

I did my senior thesis paper for the computer science department on procedural generation and how it's affecting computing. The presentation was great, I showed videos of real time procedural generation, had lots of media in it. Had close to 30 students show up to watch it. Ahh, those were the days.

Anyways. Procedural generation. Impressive tech. Go Spore!
  • Idiot_SlayerIdiot_Slayer Member
    edited September 2008
    Spore is fun but there isn't much game to it. Its a glorified creator with three minigames strapped onto it. I mean I had fun for the four-hours it took me to get to the space stage and then I just got apathetic. You end up in a huge galaxy with no end in sight just a bunch of cool dodads to add to your ship.
    (that and for some reason the space section kicked my ass, I got three planets going and some trade lanes when I suddenly get raped by pirates and invaders. Everything is expensive as ****) I gave up on it. I probably will revisit it soon, but I don't want to. There is no draw for me to go back to the game, because there's no game.
    I don't know I guess I expected more than a glorified Sims game.
    edited September 2008
    Spore is fun but there isn't much game to it. Its a glorified creator with three minigames strapped onto it. I mean I had fun for the four-hours it took me to get to the space stage and then I just got apathetic. You end up in a huge galaxy with no end in sight just a bunch of cool dodads to add to your ship.
    (that and for some reason the space section kicked my ass, I got three planets going and some trade lanes when I suddenly get raped by pirates and invaders. Everything is expensive as ****) I gave up on it. I probably will revisit it soon, but I don't want to. There is no draw for me to go back to the game, because there's no game.
    I don't know I guess I expected more than a glorified Sims game.

Try terra forming or...the planet buster if you get that far:cool:
  • pseudonympseudonym Michigan Icrontian
    edited September 2008
    Mr TRiot wrote:
    Try terra forming or...the planet buster if you get that far:cool:

I can haz Dr. Device?
    edited September 2008
    pseudonym wrote:
    I can haz Dr. Device?

Yess...you can even deterraform planets! It's quite satisfying to put your enemies lushious T3 planets to a T0 pile of frozen rock sitting in space; completely wiping out all species and forcing them into bubble cities. :rockon:

Planet buster is cool but quite expensive at 5 mil per use :|
  • CantiCanti =/= smalltime http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9K18CGEeiI&feature=related Icrontian
    edited September 2008
    Just bought it after work so whether I like it or not I'm stuck with it. Sounds better than I originally thought though so I'm looking forward to it.
  • _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
    edited September 2008
    Its freaking sweet.
  • ClutchClutch North Carolina New
    edited September 2008
    I keep going to Tribe mode and then starting over, I really like the cell and creature stages.
  • CaffranCaffran Kansas City Member
    edited September 2008
    The first stage is to much like the free game flow. Good work EA for thinking up some thing new.
    edited September 2008
    Caffran wrote:
    The first stage is to much like the free game flow. Good work EA for thinking up some thing new.

That's because the guy who made fl0w was on the Spore dev team.
  • Gate28Gate28 Orlando, Florida Icrontian
    edited September 2008
    pseudonym wrote:
    I can haz Dr. Device?

*Just gets Ender's Game reference* :o