What's the best way to clear dust?

HarudathHarudath Great Britain Icrontian
edited September 2008 in Hardware
Allo all,

I took a look inside my PC case today and was totally overwhelmed by dust! It made me wonder what the best way to clear it was, because it's EVERYWHERE and there's lots of it :tongue: . I heard different ways of doing it and mixed opinions on the damage/benefits of them; so I thought I'd ask you guys :D

Here's some pics of the damage although they really dont do it justice :(

PICT2271.jpg

PICT2272.jpg

PICT2273.jpg

PICT2274.jpg

PICT2275.jpg

PICT2276.jpg

Comments

• RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited September 2008
    Compressed air. Either in a can, from an air compressor, whatever.

Do it outside, since there is that much dust.

If you use an air compressor.. make sure the pressure is not beastly high, I have literally blown vanes off a fan before. If you can't control the presssure on the compressor itself.. just be careful with the nozzle and regulate it yourself.

My 2 pence ;)
  • HarudathHarudath Great Britain Icrontian
    edited September 2008
    How far does a can of that stuff go though? It's like $12 over here per can
    edited September 2008
    You can usually do at least 3 PC's with a can.. if you don't get all crazy.

Cans here are 10 oz.
  • HarudathHarudath Great Britain Icrontian
    edited September 2008
    I've heard hairdryers and vacuum cleaners work too- heard anything about these? (I have a light wallet :tongue:)
    edited September 2008
    Vacuum cleaners are fine.. but you have to get right down to the components (or use a brush) you can build up a static charge and.. well you get the picture.

Hairdryer might be ok.. but they get pretty hot, be careful.
  • bullzisniprbullzisnipr Topeka, KS
    edited September 2008
    That's a lot of dust :eek:. I'd just go grab a can of air, it'll last a while and you don't have to worry about static or anything like that.
  • revorocksrevorocks England, East Sussex, Hove Member
    edited September 2008
    Being English too i just use the hairdryer with heat turned off and a hoover. Also, a pc brush thingy to loosen dust. Make sure u do it outside though, i made that mistake of doing it in my room. Still coughing :( :P
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited September 2008
    I usually a wet-dry shop vacuum running in blower mode. If you have such a vacuum, ensure you clean out the canister first so as to not sandblast the computer! I also use reduction attachments at the hose end, which brings the air flow to almost compressor level.

There are warnings about static buildup and discharge when using the vacuum blower method. I've been doing this for going on 10 years now and have never damaged a component.

For dust and lint that seems to be stuck fast to parts like heatsink vanes, you will need a small brush. I use small paint brushes. There are also static electricity warnings about using brushes as well. Again, 10 years, no problems for me.
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited September 2008
    Can of air. I don't recommend anything else. anything with a motor can build up a static charge.

Just can of air, from top to bottom, taking breaks to let the can heat back up to room temperature anytime it gets frosty.

If you have to get at something physically use a q-tip (with a bit of rubbing alcohol if needed). Remember to ground yourself before touching anything.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited September 2008
    anything with a motor can build up a static charge.
    Technically possible, but I've never heard of it actually happening. Still, it's best to be armed with the facts, even if only theoretical.

I have killed components before with static electricity, but that was after walking across a carpeted room when the humidity was very low.

For you folks with warehouse-type stores, you can purchase canned air for about $7.50 for a 6-pack. The single-can prices at retail stores are amazing rip-offs (like bottled water, hee hee).
  • edited September 2008
    Ew.

CB wrote:
    If you have to get at something physically use a q-tip (with a bit of rubbing alcohol if needed). Remember to ground yourself before touching anything.

Yeah, I like to use the Q-Tip technique on intake fans, heatsink fans, any fans really.