Spam.

botheredbothered Manchester UK
edited September 2008 in Science & Tech
Slowly my email is attracting more and more spam. It used to be that you didn't click the 'stop getting emails' button as that just confirmed it was a live address. Is that still the case?
Thanks all.

Comments

• LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited September 2008
    It used to be that you didn't click the 'stop getting emails' button
    Same thing - don't reply, it just guarantees additional SPAM. Even some legitimate businesses are now ignoring unsubscribe requests, which in essence, renders their otherwise legitimate email as SPAM.
  • CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian
    edited September 2008
    Yep. Utilize those spam filters and report spam if you have that option. I notice my addresses go through spells where I'll get a lot of spam.
    edited September 2008
    My Google email account got so bad that I just abandoned it and started a new one. It was the SPAM magnet from Hell. My personal, ISP email has been close to problem free.
    edited September 2008
    Bothered, a really good, low resource usage SPAM filter is SpamBayes. I've used it for years with Outlook. I don't know what other email clients it works with.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited September 2008
    My personal gmail box went through a bout of spam, but diligent usage of the spam reporting feature makes it clean as a whistle now.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited September 2008
    I never understood that phrase. Whistles aren't actually very clean. Cops who use them generally have moustaches that are coffee, mustard, and donut stained.
  • CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian
    edited September 2008
    Thrax wrote:
    My personal gmail box went through a bout of spam, but diligent usage of the spam reporting feature makes it clean as a whistle now.

Same thing with me.
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited September 2008
    I never understood that phrase. Whistles aren't actually very clean. Cops who use them generally have moustaches that are coffee, mustard, and donut stained.

I keep my whistle very clean, and I don't let cops put their moustaches on it.
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited September 2008
    CB wrote:
    I keep my "whistle" very clean, and I don't let "cops" put their "moustaches" on it.

There, because everything sounds better when you put " " around them.
  • edited September 2008
    kryyst wrote:
    There, because everything sounds better when you put " " around them.

Oh right, because here I was thinking CB had a nice and clean whistle that he doesn't share.

On Gmail, I have only received one piece of spam.
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited September 2008
    I never understood that phrase.
    fwiw.

I have 5 email accounts filtered into my Gmail account (one of which is an extremely basic name that any dictionary list would have, and I've had it since 2 months after Gmail launched), and have no more than 1 spam message a day make it through, usually none.
  • -tk-tk Detroit, MI USA Icrontian
    edited September 2008

whoa...just today I was thinking about cops, donuts, and mustard all at the same time.

That's messed up...