My first build -Advice Please

saltydog806saltydog806 Bowie MD
edited September 2008 in Hardware
I am about to start my first build :bigggrin:. I only have a few new components and will be using my existing ones untill I purchase new. My new Mobo is the Gigabyte X38-DQ6 ( $60.00 on ebay) which is being RMA'd at this time. The advice I'm looking for is in regards to installing the Mobo. I have the manual and intend to follow it, however any pointers would be appreciated.I will be upgrading the CPU and memory soon (I hope).
New Components:

Case- Armor VA8003BWS Full Tower Case http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0241892

Mobo- Gigabyte X38-DQ6 http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/Motherboard/Products_Overview.aspx?ProductID=2665

PSU - CoolerMaster eXtreme Power RP-550 PCAR http://www.coolermaster-usa.com/product_comparison.php?category_id=27

Old Components (some of the ones that will be used)

Video- NVidia GeForce 7900 GS

CPU - intel Core 2 Duo 6300 1.86GHZ

Memory- 2 gigs two sticks of HP

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited September 2008
    Using the Icrontic Marketplace, I found the same case $20 cheaper (even with shipping).

First builds can be scary, but you'll do fine. You know the community here, we'll take care of you :)
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited September 2008
    Installing the motherboard is going to be easy in that case because it offers a ton of room to work in. Shame it doesn't have a removable motherboard tray, but you can live without that feature.

Just snap the motherboard's rear panel in to the back of the case, screw in the brass motherboard standoffs, and then slide the board in (port side first usually works best).

Using a non-magnetic tipped screwdriver, screw the board mounting screws in tightly, but don't torque down on them too hard. Then you can attach your peripherals.

The only reason to do anything differently would be if you have a newer heatsink that requires mounting a backplate to the motherboard. Obviously you'd have to do that first before installing the board in the case.
  • saltydog806saltydog806 Bowie MD
    edited September 2008
    Buddy J wrote:
    Installing the motherboard is going to be easy in that case because it offers a ton of room to work in. Shame it doesn't have a removable motherboard tray, but you can live without that feature.

Just snap the motherboard's rear panel in to the back of the case, screw in the brass motherboard standoffs, and then slide the board in (port side first usually works best).

Using a non-magnetic tipped screwdriver, screw the board mounting screws in tightly, but don't torque down on them too hard. Then you can attach your peripherals.

The only reason to do anything differently would be if you have a newer heatsink that requires mounting a backplate to the motherboard. Obviously you'd have to do that first before installing the board in the case.

I have non metalic standoff's however I don't think they are brass. Is there any advantage to using brass instead of the ones I have? A removable tray would have been great, are there aftermarket kits to install one.

Thanks
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited September 2008
    Nope no aftermarket kits. It's not something easily added. Don't worry about it though.

For standoffs, they also have plastic ones that you can snap the board into, and springy metal ones with threaded holes. The metal ones, I believe, provide good grounding for the motherboard in some cases. Again, I wouldn't worry about anything. Your case is well put together. No matter what standoffs it uses you shouldn't have an issue.
  • saltydog806saltydog806 Bowie MD
    edited September 2008
    :bigggrin: Thanks Guys :bigggrin:
  • bullzisniprbullzisnipr Topeka, KS
    edited September 2008
    Doesn't look half bad. Later on upgrade to an 8-series graphics card though. :)